Thread: OFFICIAL TIRE REVIEW THREAD

WVSTREETS Guest

Default OFFICIAL TIRE REVIEW THREAD

Thanks Trinity!

Since there isn't one can we sticky this and get everyone out there who has a set of tires non-Michellin Pilot sport that come stock. Everyone keeps asking about different tires and I'm gonna need some new rubber soon so here's what you should do.

Brand:
    Model:
    Size:
    Brief Review of Handling, road noise, durability (based on the miles you've put on them), wet weather handling, etc.
    Any other info you might want to provide in terms of cost and overall value for your money.
    Finally, give a good indication of whether you'd buy them again or if you'd gladly give them away if you could afford to throw money away on new tires whenever you want.

WVSTREETS Guest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brand: Hankook
    Model: K104
    Size: 225/45/17
    Brief Review of Handling: Great! Very sticky tires on wet and dry
    Road noise: low
    Durability: Good

Best bang for the buck - $350 for a set of 4 shipped! I do not see you finding a better set of tires for the money!
    I just ordered the new K106 tires, they have a higher treadwear rating and I will review those next. I am truly hooked on the Hankook tires after 2 very bad experiences with Yokohama tires and a bad experience with Nitto tires.

Ventus Sport K104

Ultra High Performance
    Y Rated
    UTQG: 280/AA/A
    30/35/40/45/50/55 Series
    15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 Inch
    Road Hazard Warranty
    DSB: Diagonal Serrated Band
    SBL: Serrated Black Letters
    A Y-rated, ultra-high performance tire developed with racing tire technology. Triple-radius profile design, innovative tread and Silica compounds provides superior precise control and responsiveness required for performance under extreme driving conditions.

I had a set of Falken Ziex 512's that absolutely rocked. V speed rated, great traction, long life, etc etc etc. I wish I still had the specs.
    If I were gonna buy new performance tires, I personally would go Falken all the way.

Nitto NT450's

Size - 205/40/17 and 215/35/18 (I had both)

The best thing about these tires is they wear really well. Better than any low-profile tire I have seen. The road noise is minimal, handling is good, traction is ok. ( I am no Auto crosser or dragstrip person, this is my take on a street tire). They also seem too handle good in the rain. The only bad part is they tend to pickup gravel and throw it.

Hope this helps!

Girlie

Brand: Yokohama
    Model: Advan A046
    Size: 235/45/17
    Brief review: Awesome dry performance. Not too shabby in the rain.
    Road noise: High
    Durability: Low
    Price: 210-230/tire

By far the best handling tire I've ever had. These came stock on my EVO8. Superb dry handling... not many tires short of an R compound can match these.

Downsides: Low treadwear (less than 10k miles on a set) High cost (220+ per tire) Noisy & they ride rough.

Great tire if you're rich and don't mind the lack of comfort

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brand: Bridestone
    Model: Potenza S-03 PP
    Brief review: Great wet tire. Good dry traction.
    Road noise: Med-Low
    Durability: Med
    Price: 180-200/tire

I was fairly impressed with these tires until they started to show some wear. They are kind of stiff and require a little "heating up" before they stick well.

These tires do well in the rain.. have pretty good treadwear rating and aren't too noisy. These are summer only tires.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brand: Michelin
    Model: Pilot Sport 2 (PS2)
    Brief review: Awesome tire! Awesome dry grip. Good wet grip.
    Road noise: Low
    Durability: Low
    Price: 180-185/tire

This is by far my favorite tire (next to the Advan which I can afford). Awesome dry grip. Treadwear is better than the stock Advans... these tires should last me a full summer/fall.

I really don't know of any downsides to this tire unless low treadwear bothers you.. these are summer only tires

Brand: Bridestone
    Model: Blizzak LM-22
    Brief review: Great snow tire. Comparible dry grip to an all season tire.
    Road noise: Low-Med
    Durability: Med
    Price: 150-160/tire

Great snow tire.. Although these are the only set of winter tires I've tried so far.. (lasted 2 seasons) I'm pretty impressed. Great traction on snow / packed snow. The dry traction is pretty decent.

My reviews are pretty short but if you want any info on any of these tires please don't hesitate to ask

Brand: Yokohama
    Model: AVS ES100
    Size: 215/45/17
    Brief review: Awesome dry performance. Better than my Micheline all- seasons in the rain.
    Road noise: Low-Med
    Durability: If this is treadwear, then low for the drive wheels.
    Price: 107/tire

Good tire in dry & wet. Treadwear rated at 280. Should last at least 1 summer, maybe 2. Also has a built-in "rim" to help protect wheels from curbs and it works too. I smacked my right rear wheel off of a curb a year ago and not a scratch on the wheel. I hit it pretty hard too, pushed my backend to the left some.

Brand: Falken
    Model: Azenis RT-615's
    Size: 195/60/r14
    Handles great, alot better than my previous ziex's. Stiff sidewall, not too much of a drag tire, because of its stiff sidewall, but it will lower 60' times, this is more of an autox scca tire. road noise is minimal, tread pattern is great, yet wet traction is not that great especially on highway. but on just backroads they are fine.

Cost: 91/tire
    Great Value! Falken finally made their new azenis with multiple tire sizes, before they had a very small selection of sizes, its more broad now.

id def buy these tires again, well worth the money, i cant wait to start autox! i cant break these tires loose around turns! well, you know!
    02' S2000 T4/T67//PFab//TiAl//Precision//ViS//Tein//AEM
    92' LS - Beater
    -Acura Factory Trained/ASE Certified/ADV L1 Technician

215/50/17

Fuzion Zr-i or 1's cant really see it

i got them today ill let you guys know from looks they will hold up good and it handles damn good now

420 for the set for me
    [img=http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9628/60430150lsa2.th.jpg]
    -=Rebel Racing=-
    Only team that really matters!

ok...scott needs new tires for the Z but he doesnt know of anyplace around that is a good dealer for tires... anyone from the motown area please lemme know where we could get him some new tires from...his are all smooth and have no tread at all...

Kuhmo
    225/40/18
    They seem to handle really well on wet and dry pavement, but it's the only set of non-stock tires I've had on the car so far so I can't compare them to anything else.
    Road noise is decent, not bad for an 18" tire but definetly more noisey than the stock 16's.
    So far durability seems fine, only about 5,000 miles on them.

Overall I'd say they are a good bang for the buck summer tire but once the temp drops below 50 degrees and the car sits still for a couple of hours the rubber hardens up and you have flat spotted tires for a few miles. I absolutely hate that and I find it unacceptable for any tire costing more than $5. Other than that I think the tires are pretty good.
    0-60 faster than an F-16.

nankang nsII
    traction-decent
    noise-good
    treadwear-poor
    price- 60-90 per tire

not bad for cheap tires, they handle pretty well, and do ok in the rain, but dont last worth a shit

kelley charger
    traction-terrible
    noise-good
    treadwear-decent

shitty tires, dont grip worth a fuck, i wont buy again

hey scott sankbiel tire, out in delslow, gave me a pretty good deal on a tire when someone slashed mine.

pat
    93 RX7 R1
    90 Geo Tracker: Off road toy
    02 Triumph Speed Triple: with Daytona 955i guts
    99 Dodge 2500 Diesel

WVSTREETS Guest

Brand: FALKEN
    Tire: Azenis ST115
    Size:225/45/17
    360 Treadwear
    Z SPEED RATED
    Brief Review of Handling: Amazing on dry, horrible on wet
    Road noise: low
    Durability: Good

I expected better wear out of these (360 treadwear) but overall they are not bad. They are amazing on the dry pavement but if it rains even a little watch out! They hydroplane like crazy! I do not think I will get them again.

Size: 215/70R15
    Brand and Model: Goodyear Assurance w/ Tripletread technology
    Approximate Price Paid: $570 (all 4 mounted/balanced with free rotation's for life, Road Hazard Warranty & an 80000-mile tread life warranty)
    Mileage so far on the tires: About 8000 miles (they are on from October - March....or whenever Winter weather gets here)
    Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10: 9.5
    Wet Traction on a scale of 1-10: 10
    Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10: 7.5 (10 is studded tires)
    Durability: High
    Road Noise: Low
    Additional Comments: I bought these in January for use in winter on my stock wheels. I have driven them in rain, mud, snow, slush, ice & dry weather. I really like how they perform but they aren't very good for heavily packed snow. Still the best 15" tire I've ever had on my car.....

Size: 245/35R20
    Brand and Model: Nexen N3000
    Approximate Price Paid: $875 for all 4 mounted/balanced
    Mileage so far on the tires: About 5000 miles (just on for the summer months)
    Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10: 10
    Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10: N/A
    Additional Comments: I bought these in June when I bought new 20" wheels. I have driven them in wet & dry weather. I really like how they perform and the best 20" tire I've owned.
    Street Freekz prez - up-&-coming car club based in WV.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2370885

WVSTREETS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 96_Cougar
    Size: 215/70R15
    Brand and Model: Goodyear Assurance w/ Tripletread technology
    Approximate Price Paid: $570 (all 4 mounted/balanced with free rotation's for life, Road Hazard Warranty & an 80000-mile tread life warranty)
    Mileage so far on the tires: About 8000 miles (they are on from October - March....or whenever Winter weather gets here)
    Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10: 9.5
    Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10: 7.5 (10 is studded tires)
    Additional Comments: I bought these in January for use in winter on my stock wheels. I have driven them in rain, mud, snow, slush, ice & dry weather. I really like how they perform but they aren't very good for heavily packed snow. Still the best 15" tire I've ever had on my car.....

I have these on the PT, they are great and last a long time but get noisy after about 20,000 miles, really noisey.

Size: 245/35R20
    Brand and Model: Nexen N3000
    Approximate Price Paid: $875 mounted/balanced
    Mileage so far on the tires: About 5000 miles (just on for the summer months)
    Dry Traction on a scale of 1-10: 10
    Snow Traction on a scale of 1-10: N/A
    Additional Comments: I bought these in June when I bought new 20" wheels. I have driven them in wet & dry weather. I really like how they perform and the best 20" tire I've owned.
    Really? Those are really really cheap too. I bought the ricer nanking tires when I was in a pinch and I was really impressed with them too, they are actually really good.

Really? Those are really really cheap too. I bought the ricer nanking tires when I was in a pinch and I was really impressed with them too, they are actually really good.
    Yep, really :D
    Street Freekz prez - up-&-coming car club based in WV.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2370885

Default Re: OFFICIAL TIRE REVIEW THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by WVSTREETS View Post
    I bought the ricer nanking tires when I was in a pinch and I was really impressed with them too, they are actually really good.
    I was supposed to get Nankings, but ended up with a brand called SUNNY. I don't know the model of them. But they are horrible. Feels like the tires are always flat, like the sidewall is made of condoms.
    2005 Legacy 2.5 GT

My- flickr

bridgestone potenza reo50a
    size:245/35/19
    speed rating: y
    load index: 91
    treadwear: 140 traction: A temperature: A
    Price $245 each (tirerack)
    grip is outrageous in the dry and very good in the wet. they do get considerably rougher and noisier and lose some grip when the temp goes below 45 degrees but they are summer tires.
    these tires launch well on the street but they are not drag radials they have a very stiff sidewall but the ride quailty is still good. they also have a little lip that protects the edge of your rims if you get too close to a curb.

treadwear is low but with over 5k on them they show almost no wear. very noisy and pricey but well worth the noise and the money for the grip i get out of them. i have had and installed many types of tires and bridgestone is my favorite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyD3487 View Post
    I was supposed to get Nankings, but ended up with a brand called SUNNY. I don't know the model of them. But they are horrible. Feels like the tires are always flat, like the sidewall is made of condoms.
    Sunny's ARE nankangs. I'm running them right now in the SN39890 and LOVE them. They're really good on wet and dry roads. Hardly any noise and great tread pattern
    '03 SVT Cobra 6,114 of 8,394
    --500hp Club--

Quote Originally Posted by rebel_dragon69 View Post
    Sunny's ARE nankangs. I'm running them right now in the SN39890 and LOVE them. They're really good on wet and dry roads. Hardly any noise and great tread pattern
    Yea well maybe it's different on a truck. But i'm never cheaping out on tires again. I hate these.

Not impressed with the traction but not extremely displeased.

They just feel like shit.
    2005 Legacy 2.5 GT

My- flickr

Tires: BFGoodrich Traction T/A

Size: 235/55R16

Durability: Excellent, I've had these tires on my car for close to 3 years (about 20-30K miles) and they still have at least half tread left. I was skeptical about the 440 (if I remember correctly) treadwear rating when I bought these but they certainly seem to hold up to that.

Road Noise: About what you would expect from a directional performance tire, i.e. kinda loud

Handling: Seems great to me, I haven't really pushed the tires to their limits, but they seem pretty forgiving...for example, if I take the eastbound offramp from I-68 in Sabraton (morgantowners will know the one I mean...180 degree turn) at more than 50-55 mph, they will start to squeal, but don't even feel close to breaking loose. Overall handling is very good, I would have to go to wider, lower profile tires (or R compound) to get much better.

I do not test them too much in wet weather as I don't trust the wet handling of most tires. The tires also seem to be easy to break loose from a dead start in dry, REALLY easy in wet, but then my trak-lock is dead so that's part of the problem.

Hydroplaning resistance feels very low. Car makes me a little nervous on the highway in heavy rain because a few times I've felt it start to "float" like it was going to hydroplane, around 60 mph.

Price- Were about $81 each at Sam's Club.

Overall, for a pretty cheap tire, I can't complain in the slightest about the durability and performance of these tires. I like them a lot better than the crappy touring Kumho 712's I had before, that didn't last as long.
    '05 Mustang GT 5 speed- Steeda Tri-Ax, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow mids, Aerochamber axle back, FMS P springs, Spohn LCA's & reloc brackets, J&M AL rear panhard bar, C&L Racer CAI, 93R tune, smoked tails & markers
    '09 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4x4. Torsion crank, blocks, 32x11.50 Discoverer STT's on 15x8 AR Baja's, AEM drop-in, dual exhaust
    '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe-sold

Brand: Federal
    Model: 595rs
    Size: 215 40 17

Basically they are a street legal race tire, they are super soft and grippy in both dry and wet, although considerably better in dry. They are channeled like Goodyear Eagle F1s so they get rid of the water in their path. Road noise is quiet for what they are, but annoying none the less and they don't wear for shit, but are cheap. I think I paid around 300 for the set including shipping from out west. here is the site.

http://www.citytireonline.com/Federal595.htm

WVSTREETS Guest

Brand: Hankook
    Model: Ventus Rs2 Z212
    Size: 225/45/17 200 Treadwear Y rating

From edgeracing.com
    Hankook has created a tire to compete head-to-head with other popular street-class autocross tires. We have not tested these two (Falken Azenis vs. Hankook Z212) against each other, so we do not have solid track numbers yet. Expect an update on this page soon.
    What Hankook says about this tire:
    “The Ventus R-S2 Z212 was created from the successful Ventus RSS Z211 racing design, brought to the street with improved road contact surface area for dry traction and a tread design featuring exceptional water dispersion for wet conditions. The result is a street tire delivering maximum grip with proven Ventus Ultra-High Performance tread compound.”
    What we think:
    This might be the surprise ST Class tire.
    They run very wide when compared to other tires the same size.
    The tread design looks pretty cool… a lot of rubber at the shoulders for cornering grip and a good amount of space in the center of the tread for water dissipation.

DRY
    These are the best tires I have ever owned! These are street legal auto cross tires and d@mn are they sticky!

WET
    The wet traction is excellent, so far I have yet to hydroplane.

Kumho EcstaSPT
    205/40ZR-17
    320 AA/A

These tires are by far the best tires that I have owned. This is my third set of Kumho's at this size(Ecsta 711, Ecsta 712). I have also owned Falken Ziex 512 at 205/45-16 which get blown out of the water by these. The SPT has great dry and wet handling. They are also very quiet for being such a low profile. Only comparable tire in a 40/45 series that I have found to be just a quiet is the Nitto Neo-gen. I've been rolling on these for about 3k miles so far with hardly any wear showing. That includes a round trip from Daytona Beach back to Clarksburg and having a little negative camber and the toe zeroed out at all 4 corners. All around I really don't think you will find a better tire for the money in the summer tire category. Of course I'm not including the autocross style tires in this category (Hankook RS-2, Falken Azenis). Hope this helps someone out.

Quote Originally Posted by Civic4drnWV View Post

Kumho EcstaSPT
    205/40ZR-17
    320 AA/A

I've been rolling on these for about 3k miles so far with hardly any wear showing. That includes a round trip from Daytona Beach back to Clarksburg and having a little negative camber and the toe zeroed out at all 4 corners. All around I really don't think you will find a better tire for the money in the summer tire category. Of course I'm not including the autocross style tires in this category (Hankook RS-2, Falken Azenis). Hope this helps someone out.
    We have 225x40R-17s on our Jetta TDI and I agree that these are great handling tires. Definitly the best I have ever had but I have only run all season tires in the past. Ours do not seem to be wearing any where near as good though. We only have about 2k on ours and the ECSTA letters on the front have been gone for a while and the rears are starting to disappear. We only have ab out 2k on ours
    2011 Nissan Frontier 4 door 6-speed

2012 Ford Flex Limited with Boost