Thread: What is your favorite road trip in WV?

Default What is your favorite road trip in WV?

is there a place you like to drive to in our great state? I like to just take off on a all day road trip once or twice a year and just explore some place I may not have been to before. sometimes it is a place that I have been to many times and it just takes me back to a past time. what is your favorite drives?

Default Re: What is your favorite road trip in WV?

Anything that has a decent condition road surface, not liking the bumps, repairs and pot holes.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

As far as driver roads, a lot of people talk up 50, but I'd say 33 east and 250 south are about the best in the state.

I like to take 57 to Philippi and catch 38 and 72 to Parsons. Straight shot down 72 for you, which is also a decent drive. From there I go 219 south to Elkins. There, I take 33 east to Seneca Rocks. After that you can either take 33/220 to Monterey VA, or stay on 33 to just before Harrisonburg and cut back across VA613/736 to US250...and head toward Monterey from there. The Harrisonburg section adds about 2 hours to the trip, but the sections of 33 and 250 you would cover make it well worth it. Then I stay on 250 back to Elkins, and either catch corridor h and 7 for a quick shot back, or stay on 250 back to Philippi and catch 57. Your best route would be to take 92/26 through Belington. That's a good 8 hours worth of road trip if you make the full loop..

The awesome roads are the icing on the cake, but my family has lived in Tucker County, and before that, in the Middle Mountain area of Randolph county since settling there after coming over on the boat in the 1750's... so it's just a cool feeling driving around on sort of a like a family tour.
    Last edited by levilz; 05-05-2016 at 02:22 PM.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

sounds awesome Levilz, might print your reply out and give it a wurl, My family goes back to the early 1700's on both sides. mom's side was english/irish and came over with in a couple years after the pilgrams, dads side goes back to the first German settlers in Virginia, both were here pre-revolutionary war. I know one branch came through what is now Hardy County well before the civil war. just a German, Irish, Scottish, English, Welsh, French, Mutt

you can hit 219 south from elkins or from summersville take 55 over and hit the schenic high way.. I like route 2 up through moundsville area too. and us hwy 33 and 47 to parkersburg. are fun curvy roads as well.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

been meaning to hit the scenic byway to Summersville, hurt my back the week I was supposed to go on that one and had to postpone it. thought about making the loop down through huntington and up the river and maybe stopping at hillbilly hotdogs on the way.