Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is everyone's opinion of Cold Air Intakes?

Default Re: what is everyone's opinion of Cold Air Intakes?

If you want any pictures of the plan b kit just let me know and I can take some. With the scoop, you have to cut a piece of plastic out behind the lower grille. I did it on my 12'SS with a Dremel. It was pretty easy to do, and you couldn't even tell it was there unless you looked for it. Not sure of a power gain on it though.

You`d see about the same amount of performance out of a drop in K&N filter using the stock air box and tubing. Most newer cars have some sort of CAI system from the factory. Your factory piping probably flows a lot more than a stock engine needs.

Plus the CAI systems that are metal become heat soaked. Which takes away some of the performance when compared to a plastic, rubber or composite materails.

If you don`t over saturate the filter with oil after cleaning it won`t contaminate the MAF sensor. Been running one for 14 years on a my car. Comes with just the right amount on it when new.
    2000 Mustang GT SOHC 4.6L : 665hp at the tirel
    11.00 @ 134 mph... A 17 year love affair...

Wyotech Graduate 03/14 : High Performance 1 & 2...Engine Management Systems 1 & 2...Powertrain...
    Chassis/Suspension & Braking systems.. 3.7 GPA.

The Ea is the answer for drop-ins too. Dry filter, easier to clean, comparable price and (just my personal experience on both my T/A and SSS) better throttle response than the k&ns they replaced. The truck's replaced the cone on my 77 series FIPK CAI. On the car, both were stock box drop-ins.

I'm not going to bash the K&N. They're not a bad filter, and Jive is right. As long as they're oiled correctly, they dont cause issues. I just personally hate the idea of thinking about the possibility of the oil seaping, as it did on my truck (previous owner...not me). A dry filter that flows just as well, if not better makes more sense to me..

I do sell AMSOIL though, so obviously I'm going to push the stuff, but before I started being a seller, I was a user. I'll leave it up to everyone's own devices on whether they feel I'm trying to be an informant, or just a dumb salesman, lol.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Travis68 View Post
    If you want any pictures of the plan b kit just let me know and I can take some. With the scoop, you have to cut a piece of plastic out behind the lower grille. I did it on my 12'SS with a Dremel. It was pretty easy to do, and you couldn't even tell it was there unless you looked for it. Not sure of a power gain on it though.
    Please do, very curious. seems like a pretty easy modification.

Quote Originally Posted by jivepepper View Post
    You`d see about the same amount of performance out of a drop in K&N filter using the stock air box and tubing. Most newer cars have some sort of CAI system from the factory. Your factory piping probably flows a lot more than a stock engine needs.

Plus the CAI systems that are metal become heat soaked. Which takes away some of the performance when compared to a plastic, rubber or composite materails.

If you don`t over saturate the filter with oil after cleaning it won`t contaminate the MAF sensor. Been running one for 14 years on a my car. Comes with just the right amount on it when new.
    That is the nice thing about the z28 CAI, it is mostly made of rubber and composite materials, making it lighter than a typical SS stock system, no metal tubing. has a dry filter, had a Vararam in my last Camaro, don't really want the Oiled variety again. I have used the K&N drop in since last spring and it's OK It just feels better with the new system, at least a little more grunt. will see how the tune effects things.

The tune should put a smile on your face. GM leaves a lot on the table with their stock tunes. It will straighten out the lean mix that im sure you're probably getting a little bit of from the CAI too.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

It wasn't bad at all. Just pull the inner fender out, and you can get to everything. The hardest part was finding the right angle to get the reservoir past the master cylinder. The directions that came with it were pretty good. I will take a couple pictures tomorrow and post them for you.

Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images