Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have never tuned, any suggestions of someone in the area or a Hand held?

Default Have never tuned, any suggestions of someone in the area or a Hand held?

was looking at JRE and the SCT 4X for GM but was wandering if there was a GM tuning guy in this neck of the woods in north central WV? anyone familiar with how the SCT works? assuming you can disable Active Fuel Management, remove speed Limiter, but if I tune one vehicle with it will I be able to read and clear codes on other GM vehicles like my 2007 Trail blazer? any thoughts and opinions are appreciated Oh and the main vehicle is my 2011 2SS Camaro

Default Re: Have never tuned, any suggestions of someone in the area or a Hand held?

Stevec5ws6 on the forum has messed with tuners some. He tuned my 4th gen t/a, and I know he has done several other cars and trucks. I think he was using an hp tuner, but I don't know that for sure. I was also looking at that same tuner, but I am going to hold off a little bit before that. I have a 10% lower to install on mine hopefully soon.

Default Re: Have never tuned, any suggestions of someone in the area or a Hand held?

Yeah, Steve has HP Tuners. He's messed around in the past some with both my car, and last Silverado SS. You would need to buy a couple credits in order to use it on your car, then another two for the Trailblazer. Each credit is $50. Steve is a busy boy these days though, so there would be the issue of being in the same place at the same time as him. As far as the SCT and JRE, I've got no experience with either. I use a Garmin ecoRoute, which links to any vehicle with an obd2 port. It is good for monitoring and clearing codes, but I can't tune with it. Jason Price, (partsman) does alot of work on LS based vehicles too. You may want to pm him and see what he uses.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Mail order tunes or option. PCMforless
    Local, no one really tunes aside from little tweaks, Rodeheavers can SCT tune GM
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtecoldschool View Post
    Local, no one really tunes aside from little tweaks, Rodeheavers can SCT tune GM

Thought about stopping in at Rodeheavers early in the summer and see what is up, I actually like the things I read on the SCT 4X, I just want a mild improvement after I get some things installed and the ability to further tune as I add things, and also clearing codes as needed. I have this device right now that overrides the the AFM that I plug in to the OBD2 port and would like to just tune it out so I can resell the device and get it out of my way. figured didn't hurt to ask around a bit, may or may not tune it this summer but it is inevitable.

decided to do an email remote tune with a SCT 4X handheld I just purchased, going to do the tune with RDP and DynoSteve the fella that does the tuning remotely for the company, there based out of Ohio just north east of Cleveland on the lake. the SCT will also check and clear codes for GM vehicles from I believe 1999 to present day. I chose RDP because they carry a full line of Stainless works exhaust items that I plan to get in the future. they retune for free when you buy the mod part from them, and will purchase when they are running some crazy deals just before christmas. trying to spread the cost of doing all the things I want over an extended time.

That's good. Post how you like the sct, and how much a tune helps the car out...I'm really interested in them.

will do Travis, couple weeks til I get the SS out, weather permitting of course

Thanks. Hopefully warm weather will be here soon. I think i finally have all the detailing stuff together though.

ye got an audio upgrade, the spring detail, among other things, gonna be a busy spring ....not complaining though

well got a custom email tune with RDP done and I must say I like it, smoother and firmer shifts, lower idle at startup, no active fuel management, speed limiter also turned off, and drives much more aggressively. with my Z/28 cold air kit the sound and manors are much more aggressive. now can't wait to get long tubes once I can work them in to the budget

That's great. Headers will be a nice addition

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

OK six month later and I think I am doing the headers next week waiting for the paypal invoice from RDP, got them my email a little too late today so will probably get the invoice in the morning, will check before heading to work. getting the Stainless Power Headers, 1 7/8 feeding in to 3' and it should mate perfectly with my 3' Stainless works retro chambered catback. have next week off so hopefully will get it by monday or tuesday I hope then off to my brother in laws to get it installed!

P.S. rdp will re-tune at no extra cost. will save 2-3 hundred doing the install myself.

Awesome. I actually traded my 13ZL1, but I got a 14ZL1 with lower miles and a few more options I wanted. I kept all of my go fast parts off my 13 though.

i am waiting on Black Friday sales to order anything else. I am going back and forth between the stainless power and kooks. Did you get any ceramic coating on them? I have read where some people say on stainless headers you don't need it. Your car is going to sound great with that setup. Do you have any intentions on a cam in the future?

I have been looking at JRE for the tune, but RDP also has really good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis68 View Post
    Awesome. I actually traded my 13ZL1, but I got a 14ZL1 with lower miles and a few more options I wanted. I kept all of my go fast parts off my 13 though.

i am waiting on Black Friday sales to order anything else. I am going back and forth between the stainless power and kooks. Did you get any ceramic coating on them? I have read where some people say on stainless headers you don't need it. Your car is going to sound great with that setup. Do you have any intentions on a cam in the future?

I have been looking at JRE for the tune, but RDP also has really good reviews.
    didn't get any ceramic, read about testing with and without the coating that there really wasn't much difference temp wise. so decided to skip it. I have no intention of cam'ing but will never say never. wasn't going to get headers but figured I already have the Tuning part covered so figured if I could get the headers at a decent price I could install them myself and it wouldn't really cost all that much. plus the extra 25+ horse power and sound. not sure I can budget anything else. know anyone in the region that does cams? having a 3' catback system already in place always leaves me the option of going much farther if I chose or if I win the lottery...LOL

Lol. That's how it goes. Put on some mods...then want more....then one day you have built the entire car.

Rodeheaver put the ATI damper on my last car. I know he has worked on several camaro's and seems to do pretty good work.

Let me know how they fit when you get them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis68 View Post
    Lol. That's how it goes. Put on some mods...then want more....then one day you have built the entire car.

Rodeheaver put the ATI damper on my last car. I know he has worked on several camaro's and seems to do pretty good work.

Let me know how they fit when you get them on.

Honestly I think this is it for a while, gotta start budgeting for new rubber and brakes

What I hope my new set up sounds like should be delivered Fedex monday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKrTCLrjZKI

If you can make the drive, up near Carlisle, PA...Dave Guy from Dave Guy Racing. I'd trust him tuning anything of mine.
    -Jeff-

1995 Ford Thunderbird SC 5-speed - 1 of 574
    2011 Taurus SHO - TT 3.5L - 13.8@102mph - 100% Stock
    2011 Audi A4 Premium Plus - 2.0T - Black/Black

just got the headers on yesterday and drove around some today, sizable difference in power, more torque, more grunt, and wicked sounding at WOT. scares me a bit...LOL! try to record a sample of the idle later to share. idle has a meatier sound, for lack of a better description and just got the new tune for headers loaded on the sct device. will probably data log a bit this week end and send it in for adjustments

What made you go with RDP over JRE? I haven't used a tuner, but did they load the tune for your mods when your initially ordered it, or how does that work?

JRE and RDP are pretty similar except JRE is more up front about doing the tune when you buy the bolt ons, you buy the tuner, and they will do an initial tune for basic bolt ons, things like Ported throttle bodys I don't think they do unless you get it from them. I know they wanted me to take one of there cold air intakes but I wanted the z/28 but they didn't scoff at all when I told them what I had. matter of fact got the Cat back from Maryland speed and no issue with doing the tune, as long as you buy the tuner from them. basic bolt ons I believe are cold air intake, headers, catback, high flows, axle back. only two of those really need a tune though.

I chose RDP because I got a good deal on the SCT 4X because I wanted to kill the AFM and figured it gave me the option of doing more like headers and not have to pay to retune if i bought the Headers from them. already have the tune loaded on my car, fast turn around. now just got to take it for a spin and test it out. if I think it is running rich or lean or something isn't right then will data log and send it to Steve to review and make changes to correct if need be. I don't have to travel a long distance and unless you need to do more data logging it is pretty fast with no real need to free up time to take it for a regular dyno. so it works for me so far. JRE's site would be more specific, they have a page that explains how they do it. With Steve at RDP you actually talk to him first hand when you call them. kind of like that.

Oh and here is a vid

https://youtu.be/sQxF8dQDrrM
    Last edited by jshafSS; 10-09-2015 at 12:09 AM. Reason: add video

I bought my 10% lower and ati damper from JRE, my CAI from juiced motorsports. JRE only sells Dynatech headers I believe, so I will probably get a set of kooks or stainless works next month when they go on sale. I will ask JRE and RDP about a tune with the mods I will have when I get the sct. Just depends on which place is having the best sale next month.

How was the fit/welds on the stainless power headers? I have read good things about them. Your car sounds really good with that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtecoldschool View Post
    +1 for Rodeheavers. Tim does good work plus he also has another guy that comes in and does some tuning on GM's that has some experience. My SCT tuner allows me to read and erase dtc's from other cars. Saw you pulling in to your work today.Your car sounded great!
    Last edited by jivepepper; 10-14-2015 at 05:04 AM.
    2000 Mustang GT SOHC 4.6L : 665hp at the tirel
    11.00 @ 134 mph... A 17 year love affair...

Wyotech Graduate 03/14 : High Performance 1 & 2...Engine Management Systems 1 & 2...Powertrain...
    Chassis/Suspension & Braking systems.. 3.7 GPA.