Thread: Anyone use the Torque App?

Default Anyone use the Torque App?

I was thinking about getting the app and obd adapter

Since the only real gauges i have is a tach and speedometer

I'd like to keep an eye on the oil pressure, boost and stuff like that.

If you have it, how do you like it.
    10 Kia Forte EX (Wifes) 145k miles

12 Chevy Sonic LTZ HB Turbo (My DD) 102k miles

95 Chevy 1500 Ext cab 4x4 (my spare and toy) 240k miles, now with a 1999 5.3 and 4L60e with 191k miles.

Default Re: Anyone use the Torque App?

I dont have it but it sounds cool.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

I have an ecoRoute HD module with the Garmin Mechanic app in my phone. I dunno what all you can to on the Torque App, but on Garmin Mechanic, you can track average mileage, total fuel used, fuel cost, cost per mile, set up mantenance on all vehicles to get notifications when it's due. It has gauges for RPM, throttle position, intake manifold pressure, vacuum, boost, instant economy, battery, voltage, real-time estimated hp and torque, 0-30, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, average fuel economy, self-test status for emissuins. It will read error codes and resets the check engine light. It has tablet and computer support too. I'm probably missing some other things, but you get the idea. The app is free, but the ecoRoute HD module that plugs into your OBD port is $99.99. Also, if you have a Garmin with bluetooth capability, the ecoRoute will work with it too.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

I don't have a garmin anything... the Torque Pro app does all that Levi and its $5. And the obd2 adapter can be as cheap as $6 on ebay

95 Chevy 1500 Ext cab 4x4 (my spare and toy) 240k miles, now with a 1999 5.3 and 4L60e with 191k miles.

Well that's your best route then. You can use the garmin app without the adapter for mileage and estimates on some other crap, but it wouldn't help with the boost and diagnostics stuff. (shouldn't your car already have a boost gauge???)

I don't know about the Torque app's accuracy. Everything I saw about the Garmin Mechanic app said it's readout was pretty spot on with physically tested numbers. It was free for me since I already had the ecoRoute HD module, so there wasn't really any need for me not to have it. For $11 bucks though, you can't go wrong...

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Shouldn't it have a boost gauge? YES IT SHOULD! But for some reason... guessing because the turbo is supposed to be for efficiency not power, it doesn't have one.

All I have is a tach and digital speedo. The rest is just lights.

The app is supposed to be accurate, just a little slower then the dash because of it going through bluetooth. From what i seen, the app will get whatever data the ecm gets. So temps for exhaust, oil, coolant. Any O2 readings, pretty much anything.

I have used Dashcommand on an iPhone and an android phone. I also have Torque Pro on an android tablet. It seemed much easier to get the programs to work on the android devices. I used them on my wifes car since my old Omni is obd1. And in a pinch you can just unplug the adapter from your car and stick it in a friends car to read codes if their check engine light is on. They have very little support though for systems other than the engine on most cars. Well worth the money if you own a 96 or newer car.
    Last edited by RGL10; 01-13-2015 at 08:35 PM.

i wouldn't get the cheapest adapter possible.. probably not the best quality, don't want it shorting something out in the port.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

True, its a 50/50 shot with the cheapy ones but i've never heard of anything bad happening with them. They either work or don't from what I read.