Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1998 Mustang Cobra Need Real World Value

Default Re: 1998 Mustang Cobra Need Real World Value

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    You couldn't fuck it up much more by doing a LS swap...
    Well after the engine issue my Cobra is now down to a factory body and interior. The A/C and power steering is still factory. Ah maybe the hood latch, rad hoses... LOL

point is "thought it was obvious too" that Ford's flagship performance car at the time (albeit it was a vert instead of the hard top) had more than its hands full with a near retirement aged 100k mile SUV. Since there is emphasis being put on dollars per power too, the Cobra was a $29k car when it was new in 1998. The TBSS was $33k in 2006. With the inflation rate (or without it for that matter), that would make them priced similarly when new.

To me, what you're saying is that a 1988 Mustang GT that cost $11k when it was new should put the hurtin's on a 69' 429 Boss, because the $3529 Boss is older and the 88 GT cost more... Everyone knows the Boss would hand the GT its ass. How is that comparison any different?

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    Why would you spend extra on a car to get a rear axle that really isn't that great in the first place?

You could get the same exact car in a GT platform for less money (thousands) then swap in an 03/04 IRS for 1k and it's a nut and bolt job and good for much more power.
    I agree with you there. I'd go the same route.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

I never said anything about new car prices? I was discussing current value of the vehicle.....

Did you "race" the cobra in 1998? Did you race it in 2006? nope...you raced (actually how do you know he was WOT anyway?) the other day...then the price of sn95 cobra vert (could've been a 94!) is 6-7k and the price of your tbss is about what, 14-16k?

I am not surprised your high 13 sec $15k family mobile kept up with a high 13 sec $7k mustang.

Yes I am a mustang nutswinger...but regardless I would expect the much much cheaper vehicle to also be slower....there could also be 12 yrs of technology between the two...!
    -John

Then a 98 cobra should be slower than a civic..... Wait .... Never mind lol.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

I never even said we raced. I said the guy took off from the light. He held the rev and launched, so I could only assume he was giving it the beans. Judging by the level of his rpms and the chirp into 2nd, call it an endcated guess that he was wot.

I just punched it for the hell of it after he did. The guy had the top down and I could see his level of butt-hurt when he saw me moving the wrong direction in the rear view. It was obvious that beforehand he thought the car was the fastest thing in town.

I understand how you're feeling here. It hurts my insides too when a new SHO runs just as fast as my trans am. It's a family car that weighs a ton more, but it's newer and more expensive though so it isn't impressive or anything. Still sucks though.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

RNA Team #217
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)

www.elzaperformance.com

My old Isuzu Pup wasn't worth anything new or used but with 350 cubes under the hood, it made lots of Mustang owners sad. The entire mess wasn't worth $1500

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

I figure a Pup would do pretty decent with a 350 in it!

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

I burned a Mustang pretty bad on my way to work one morning. I know he was at WOT because my fan went through the radiator at about 125. He probably thought I was running uncle bens or something special in that pup. It took me a whole tube of JB Weld just top get home that evening.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

hahaha JB Weld FTW

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

It was supposed to just get me home but it never leaked again. JB Weld is da shit!

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

I think the main problem with the whole mustang power comes from the naming of the damn things from the early 90's through the introduction of the terminator. "Cobra" is a name that you expect to be badass...badass on a level far and above the models below. You're talking a name synonymous with some of the most awesome muscle cars in history (Shelby 427 Cobras, Cobra Jet Mustangs of the 60s and 70s, yada yada...) but in the 90s and early 2000s "Cobra" was just a name strapped to cars making pretty miniscule power. Then the 03s came out and folks started looking at all the cobras from the 10 years before and started acting like all cobras were on the level of the 03s. So if they raced a 94 cobra they would act all high and mighty. Woohoo...you beat a crappy 235 horsepower car lol. Cobra should have never been attached to those cars...in the same way it shouldn't have in the Cobra II and King Cobra in the mustang II cars...or the early foxes. Once something stands for some kind of power or performance, I don't think you should backslide into just being a catchy name. Post muscle car era, all mustangs were slow until the 03s from the factory (save a few super limited models) and then when the GT500 returned there were more decent factory performers. Are there fast 90s mustangs? Yes. Are there fast 90s F-bodies? Yes. It's just by today's standards of what "fast" is...they have to be built that way.

Hit the nail on the head there man, and I couldn't agree more. It's the same problem, to me, that I have with the 04 GTO's and most of the SS line of Chevrolets. Both names used to stand for something special, and should have either been made to be special again or not branded as such at all. Same with the new Dart or the HEMI engine, Just names slapped on something to help boost the popularity.

As far as the experience I was talking about from the other day, I was just bs'ing back and forth with John for fun. The guy in the Cobra (apparently one of the people who fell into the hype of the Cobra name) really did think he had a super car, which is what made the whole situation fun. I'm not really a nutswinger, eventhough it may come across sometimes that I am gung-ho on GM since that's what 75% of my vehicles are presently. I'm not going to toot the horn on my TBSS because it's not even the best performance SUV in its class either. It just ended up being the best value for a decent performance vehicle, that I could use every day, when I was in the position to purchase. It is fun to have a vehicle like that that is at-least capable hurting the feelings of some of those cocky, narrow minded people out there. In that aspect, it's more fun than the Trans-Am, which more people tend to accept as being supposed to be fast.
    Last edited by levilz; 04-24-2014 at 10:20 AM.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    All Cobras are manual transmissions unless some non driving fucktard swapped a slush-O-matic in there... In that case it's not worth owning.
    Or if it's a drag car and he wants to win.

Cadillac Gen II CTS-V (Crystal Red Tintcoat / Ebony) -- Purchased (7/31/14)
    Bone stock. 556HP.

^ Oh no he didn't. LOL
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra
    Founding member of Fast mustang on jack stands garage.
    (Crap I broke it good this time!)

Then he should have bought a gt auto.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Stevec5ws6 View Post
    Then he should have bought a gt auto.
    And put cobra emblems on it like everyone does
    2012 ZL1

Roto fab cai
    10% lower pulley (10psi)
    catless
    canned tune
    11.04@ 128. on Hoosier dr's and skinnies
    1100 DA @ PRP