Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparison Mustang Terminator/Pontiac Trans Am

Default Comparison Mustang Terminator/Pontiac Trans Am

So it has been much debated but how do they really run stock vs stock? Just how much better was either car? To keep it as fair as possible, let's compare the 2002 Trans Am to the 2003 SVT Cobra.

Let's find out who is sitting in front of their pc with nothing else to do.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

Default Re: Comparison Mustang Terminator/Pontiac Trans Am

Stock... 12.7@110

CAI, cat back and DR's... 12.2@117

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout
    I was the least gay ford guy

Not a real contest between the F-body and the Terminator IMO. The Mustang was a more refined car in most aspects... They were close performancewise stock for stock, but the Terminator was just a little better overall. I feel that the F-body is a better bang for the buck car, but that's debatable too. Here are some quick specs.

Price new, the Terminator was alot more $34,750 vs $22,830 (Z28 Coupe). 1/4 mile times, you're looking at 12.7-12.9 for the mustang vs 13.0-13.2 for the f-body. The F-body stopped a little quicker, 127 vs. 120ft. Handling went to the Terminator...
    Skid - .90 vs .88g. The F-body got better gas mileage (16/24 vs. 19/28)
    Last edited by levilz; 04-15-2014 at 10:23 AM.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Base Terminator vs. a loaded WS6 was a little better price comparison. The WS6 $31,185

RNA Team #217
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)

www.elzaperformance.com

I thought the LS cars broke 12s stock?

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

You would see one every once in a while break out a 12.9, but it wasn't typical. Most of the 02's were in 13.1 territory.

- - - Updated - - -

a 12.9 was pretty typical for Terminators though, so they definitely had the edge.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Don't over look the major draw to the Terminators. With a simple pulley change and tune you could be over 400 RWHP. The cost in those parts are less then $550.

I came from the GM camp and have worked and driven many different cars.

These are my feelings and why I still have my 03 Cobra. That and I cant afford a GT500. lol
    Terminator
    1. Easier to work on the engine.
    2. Easier to live with as a daily. (It has a trunk)
    3. The factory ride is much smoother. (Even over the mustang GT)
    4. Better seating position (Doesn't have those cat converter hump in the passenger's foot well like the fbodies.)
    5. The low end pull is just sick from that eaton.

The "hump" was the single biggest bitch about the f-body design in general. The ease of getting 400hp out of the Terninator was hard to beat too. One could argue for the same price that you could buy a new Terminator in 2003, then do the pully swap, You could buy a Formula Firebird, do a heads, cam, intake and rear end swap, and completely destroy the Ford. That's all apples to oranges though. Based on that theory, you would be best off to just buy an old beat to hell Monza, put $25,000 worth of drive train in it, and beat the hell out of most everything around. It's all basically personal preference between the two though. If I were buying new... I probably would have bought an M6 WS6 over the Terminator just because F-bodies were what I grew up loving. If I were offered the two cars now, for the same price, I'd have to take the Mustang. Dollar for Dollar though I'm sticking with what I've got.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Leaving stock.......termi > TA. Taking the money you saved by buying the TA and modding......TA>Termi. I like termi's but lets face it, without the blower they are nothing. The IRS system is junk even compared to newer sra cars. They are quick because they have the blower which you pay for in the purchase price. They come from the factory with power levels closer to their potential than the T/A. Both are fun cars to drive. Both are prob bringing more money than they should right now. It would be hard to pass up a deal on a newer 5.0 rather than buy either of the cars honestly. $15k for a 10+ year old car when you can buy a brand new 5.0 for $24K?????

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    Don't over look the major draw to the Terminators. With a simple pulley change and tune you could be over 400 RWHP. The cost in those parts are less then $550.

I came from the GM camp and have worked and driven many different cars.

These are my feelings and why I still have my 03 Cobra. That and I cant afford a GT500. lol
    Terminator
    1. Easier to work on the engine.
    2. Easier to live with as a daily. (It has a trunk)
    3. The factory ride is much smoother. (Even over the mustang GT)
    4. Better seating position (Doesn't have those cat converter hump in the passenger's foot well like the fbodies.)
    5. The low end pull is just sick from that eaton.
    My car dyno'd 420hp with just the CAI and Cat back

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout
    I was the least gay ford guy

I can't imagine the Terminator is anywhere near it's potential with the forged internals. We all know there was alot left on the table with the F-bodies too. I'd tend to agree that without the blower, it would be nothing, but it has it, so moot point there. I agree the IRS isn't exactly anything to write home about, but again, a stock for stock step up from the solid rear in the F-body. And as far as the 5.0. Damn nice cars. For that same $24k though, I can get a well cared for F-body with low miles, give it tons of power and make it handle like a go cart. To me, that would be money better spent than buying something just to roll around stiffing the new car smell in. Again........ To each his own.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

This is a pretty old debate.. There are a lot of cars out there that are better now. You don't buy a Nova because of its potential and you sure as hell should not buy one of these cars either.. You buy a fbody or a terminator cause its the car you like, you wanted for a long time, your dad had one or its a steal. I have owned a 3rd gens, a 4th gen, fox and Sn95 and they were all plastic crap.. 90's-00's Domestic cars were garbage.

Plop your ass in newer Mustang, Vette or Camaro and you quickly see how times have changed.

If I was to buy a car today that I wanted to drive and enjoy I wouldn't choose either one. $ for $ there are better newer cars out there..

I brought it up about not having a blower because the TA doesnt. Trying to even things out. Bottom line.......lets start with 4.6 9:1 CR motor and a car that weighs 3800lbs. Then lets compare to a 5.7 10:1 CR motor and a car that weighs 3600lbs and go mod for mod. TA doesnt have a blower but obviously when you purchase a terminator you are essentially paying for a blower. so go ahead and have a shop put one on the TA.

More cubes and higher compression in a lighter car will win.

BTW I just guessed on weight and CR. But you see where I am going.

From looking at the price tag and value, the small production numbers of the SVT become more transparent. I think the collectible status of the Mustang will grow and most likely surpass that of the F body.
    There's no doubt, they were both very nice rides for that time frame.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

You can get a f-body to 500hp pretty cheap even with supporting mods. Considering a terminator is going to 20k right now.. I think 20k invested in a Fbody will be a faster car end of story..

not sure on the mustangs, but you're probably right there. the LS1's were 10.1:1. As far as it goes, yeah, there is alot better quality out there, and stock family cars are running similar times at the track as both these cars these days. I can't think of one mid-market vehicle out right now that has the raw attitude that the LS1 Trans Ams had. The new Mustangs and The Challengers are more refined, ride better, handle better, use better quality materials, etc. but all of the new stuff that I've been in just feels like soulless metal to me. That may just be because I have a longstanding relationship with my T/A, but I can't think of anything new that I'd want to trade mine for, even if it were financially feesable.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    This is a pretty old debate.. There are a lot of cars out there that are better now. You don't buy a Nova because of its potential and you sure as hell should not buy one of these cars either.. You buy a fbody or a terminator cause its the car you like, you wanted for a long time, your dad had one or its a steal. I have owned a 3rd gens, a 4th gen, fox and Sn95 and they were all plastic crap.. 90's-00's Domestic cars were garbage.

Plop your ass in newer Mustang, Vette or Camaro and you quickly see how times have changed.

If I was to buy a car today that I wanted to drive and enjoy I wouldn't choose either one. $ for $ there are better newer cars out there..
    We are trying to have a serious conversation here and you come with this crap......Grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by d-rod View Post
    We are trying to have a serious conversation here and you come with this crap......Grow up!

Little known fact about the F-Bodys. In 1998 the $27,640 Camaro SS was ranked as the 8th fastest normal production car. What was faster? a $43k M Roadster, a $52k Corvette, a $70K Jag. XKR, an $88k NSX, a $144k F355 F1, a $72k Viper and a $92k Viper GTS-R

- - - Updated - - -

That list doesn't include limited production number supercars and stuff like that, so I'm sure it would be alot lower if you counted every single vehicle made in 1998, but still pretty cool that it was right in the middle of a group of sports cars that cost more than double.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

It's no doubt a car that will never be forgotten.

Now forgive my fbody limited knowledge, but is a formula the same as a firehawk?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

224hp/280tq | 17lbs of boost | Neuspeed P-Flow Intake | Replacement Forge DV | EuroJet Boost Gauge
    "And remember kids, procrastination is like masturbation: in the end, you're just screwing yourself."

They are all the same basically..

Car: Firebird

Options: Trans Am, Formula

Editions: WS6, FireHawk, ect ect..

So its possible to have a Firebird Formula Firehawk or a Firebird Trans AM WS6 or a Formula WS6..

In chevy terms Trans Am = LTZ Formula = LS

Quote Originally Posted by levilz View Post
    Little known fact about the F-Bodys. In 1998 the $27,640 Camaro SS was ranked as the 8th fastest normal production car. What was faster? a $43k M Roadster, a $52k Corvette, a $70K Jag. XKR, an $88k NSX, a $144k F355 F1, a $72k Viper and a $92k Viper GTS-R
    Little know fact... "More F-bodies are located in trailer parks sitting on blocks then any other car." I guess you guys can hang on to that too. BTW I found that on the internet so it has to be true. J/K
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra
    Founding member of Fast mustang on jack stands garage.
    (Crap I broke it good this time!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    Little know fact... "More F-bodies are located in trailer parks sitting on blocks then any other car." I guess you guys can hang on to that too. BTW I found that on the internet so it has to be true. J/K
    This is the first time any Mustang owner EVER has brought up the words "trailer park" when discussing cars. I am not badmouthing mustangs here. Personally, I like them a lot.......they are just hard to mow around.

Give me a list of their locations we need parts..