Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ford triton 6.8 v10?

Default ford triton 6.8 v10?

Need some info on this motor. Issues, Dependability, Gas Milage.

Default Re: ford triton 6.8 v10?

All I ever heard was that the gas mileage is horribly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout
    I was the least gay ford guy

I would assume they have the same issues as the 5.4 with the plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    I would assume they have the same issues as the 5.4 with the plugs?

It depends on the year. The earlier motors had the same issue. I cant remember when they supposedly corrected it though. Its a high revving motor so hauling duty will put you in the high RPMs when you need the torque.
    Thirsty is an understatement.
    Im assuming you are looking for a hauler. Find a 5.3L/6.0L Chevy/GMC and you are good to go. Im not brand loyal by any means but they just work and work well.
    Personally, Id stay away from the any Ford motor for towing.

Source: Service Manager for the past few years and Ive been towing for a long time.
    '14 WRX
    I miss fast cars and fast women.

Yes thats what I am looking for. I have been looking at 6.7 diesel trucks and ran across a this 6.8 gas truck. I don't really care about gas milage.. not like I will be hauling every day. It needs to be dependable. The one I was looking at was a 09.

I like GM's but I won't own a GM truck. Dodge or Ford when it comes to trucks. Im not in a huge hurry to find one so if the v10 is a bad deal it no biggie passing on it.

I understand. Fuel mileage has never been a concern of mine either. Especially when hauling.
    Id pass up the Ford motors simply because of the problems that I see on a regular basis.
    I never liked GM either until we got the Yukon. Its been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, hands down.
    Dodge motors are decent as well, gassers are thirsty but strong. The problem with a Dodge is that they fall apart around the drive train.
    Diesels are nice if you do tow large loads long distances. The cost of general maintenance can be an issue for some. Oil changes, fuel filters, etc are a larger expense. I couldnt justify buying a diesel for the limited amount of towing that I was doing.

In the end I would pass it up even if it was a great deal. Theres a reason it is.
    '14 WRX
    I miss fast cars and fast women.

Idk about the Ford's v10, but dad has a Dodge v10 and it gets 9mpg with the wind pushing it. Red line is like 4k, but it will pull anything. He had to pull a trailer one weekend he was on call since his truck was set up for it, and the guy that he picked up said that the Dodge pulled the trailer better than the Chevy diesel that had broken down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

224hp/280tq | 17lbs of boost | Neuspeed P-Flow Intake | Replacement Forge DV | EuroJet Boost Gauge
    "And remember kids, procrastination is like masturbation: in the end, you're just screwing yourself."

-4 MPG, but haven't had any first hand bad experiences with them like all the 5.4's spitting out plugs on or f250's
    2012 ZL1

Roto fab cai
    10% lower pulley (10psi)
    catless
    canned tune
    11.04@ 128. on Hoosier dr's and skinnies
    1100 DA @ PRP

Default ford triton 6.8 v10?

I like to the look of the Fords 09 up F250 and F350 and the 09 up Dodge 2500's, I have had Dodge trucks for the last IDK 7 years or so but lot of the Dodge trucks I am seeing that I like are 40K+ and have 45-50K on the clock. Thats a lot to bite off..

Quote Originally Posted by mykal View Post
    I understand. Fuel mileage has never been a concern of mine either. Especially when hauling.
    Id pass up the Ford motors simply because of the problems that I see on a regular basis.
    I never liked GM either until we got the Yukon. Its been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, hands down.
    Dodge motors are decent as well, gassers are thirsty but strong. The problem with a Dodge is that they fall apart around the drive train.
    Diesels are nice if you do tow large loads long distances. The cost of general maintenance can be an issue for some. Oil changes, fuel filters, etc are a larger expense. I couldnt justify buying a diesel for the limited amount of towing that I was doing.

In the end I would pass it up even if it was a great deal. Theres a reason it is.
    09 F350 Extended Cab asking $32k 22k miles I wouldn't say it was a great deal.. I can say I am not confident of this gas motor but the upkeep on it will be better than a Diesel, that being said I don't have any issue with doing my own work. Thanks for the info good to know. I will prob pass it up I like to have crew cab anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cam99 View Post
    -4 MPG, but haven't had any first hand bad experiences with them like all the 5.4's spitting out plugs on or f250's
    From what I have read tonight the newer motors don't have the issues the older ones did. This one being lifted I am sure the gas milage would be even worse.
    Last edited by RogerStout; 04-10-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Sorry, If I'm getting a tow rig, it's gonna be a diesel. The increased cost of upkeep is worth it. I've not hauled ALOT in the past few years, but I used to drive a car hauler pretty frequently. The diesels outperformed the gassers across the board. The best hauler we had was a 3500 with a cummins.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

If my job was hauling stuff all day long... Diesel

hauling something around 2-3 times a week.. Gas

i have an 89 F450 with a 460 it will get 5mpg hauling around 14,000lbs every day

I have heard nothing good of the ford v 10.... I mpg average. .... What are you towing ? Those atv's your Dakota will be fine. If your hauling 2 or 3 you want a suburban or Tahoe for people room might be needed ....

Why you hating on gm trucks? The only fords I have seen mileage and power sucked...

Chevy still has a 454 gas 12 ish mpg

As for an oil burner a little older is better
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

I got a 2011 ram crew cab sport a few months ago. The hemi pulls the side by side and the 18' car trailer well. I haven't put a car back there yet though. The 1500 dodges have a little sagging problem in the rear under heavy loads with their coil spring setup. The 2500 don't have this issue, but I guess they got a heavier spring. 09-up hemis have 390hp and 407 torque.

I am a Ford guy and I wouldn't buy the v10. I have been looking for a bigger truck and will avoid those things at all costs.
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra
    Founding member of Fast mustang on jack stands garage.
    (Crap I broke it good this time!)

The Ford V10 has all the same problems as the 5.4...research. The older engines blew spark plugs out, the new ones spark plugs won't come out. All have overhead cams with lots of valve train problems.
    As far as pulling, a stock diesel is pretty comparable to a v10. The Dodge v10 was much larger displacement than the Ford. The rpm's were much lower and back in the day, it would destroy a diesel stock vs stock.
    I would agree with the above recommendations. I have a 6.0 GM and it pulls awesome. I have a 5.7 Dodge and it pulls even better. Not ragging on GM, my truck is an older version of the 6.0...newer engines have much more oomph and would probably be better competition for the 5.7. Either would be a way better choice than a Ford.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

One positive for the GM trucks (Gas or Diesel) is tuning in HP tuners. I like that nothing ever stays stock..

Did a NADA on the truck I was looking at and it was 26k so their asking was way to high that and the fact that its not a crew cab and all the splendid info I have found out of the v10 and I am well not buying that truck.. The quest goes on. Im not in a hurry like to have it before the outdoor activities ramp up but the Dakota will do the job for now.

What are you going to tow?

Looking forward here.. but my sxs my moms sxs and prob cait and tylers whatever they have. Thinking 5-6 times a year I figure, Pulling Stumps, Hauling pallets, Pull down a Barn... Shit like that. DD back and forth to work it what it will do the most of.

He's going to tow the Bird to shows so he doesn't rack up the miles on it. That hurts resale value...

RNA Team #217
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by levilz View Post
    He's going to tow the Bird to shows so he doesn't rack up the miles on it. That hurts resale value...
    LOL good Idea.. I hope its gone before I get the truck.. I rather be hauling a Chevelle..

Quote Originally Posted by levilz View Post
    Rumor I heard was that it was hauled on a rollback to about a block from rosebud then driven in...

Lol. Probably so.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    LOL good Idea.. I hope its gone before I get the truck.. I rather be hauling a Chevelle..
    Something else that needs waxed???

Yeah baby.. Wax and let my mullet grow. Im from the holler son don't let the IT job fool you.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    Rumor I heard was that it was hauled on a rollback to about a block from rosebud then driven in...
    Every week hater..