Thread: autocrosses

Default autocrosses

Does anyone know where the closest autocross event would be to Beckley? I would love to try autocross. I even thought about setting one up myself but would not know were to begin. How big of a parking lot/space would be needed? If anyone near Beckley would like to talk about getting an autocross going, hit me up.

Default Re: autocrosses

swvrscca.org.
    they have them at riverside highschool, check the site for the schedule
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver" -Ayrton Senna
    AP1 S2000

Attend one. Don't go through the hassle of setting one up if you dont have to. Speaking from experience, you will get plow'd with things like insurance costs and political bs from the location, even if you are lucky enough to find a place willing to host it. It is a lot more fun to just go to one that is already established and enjoy your day. Belle is fairly close. Ky has a much bigger car scene than Wv too, so I'd have to think they have something to offer too. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

They have them in bell every month.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Thanks guys, yeah bell is only like 40 minutes from me. I really want to try one but kinda don't want to look like an idiot though. I would probably run through the wrong cones or something. I watch videos and it looks so fun but it also looks confusing to know which way to go.

First of all, everyone has to start somewhere, get someone to show you the ropes, and let people know your new. ... nobody out there walked in and was suddenly a great driver.

The course opens early in the morning, so you can WALK it and see where you need to go when, don't get too excited. even draw it out on a map ... most of the cone placement isn't that difficult, don't try to beat people just focus on running clean... I'll tell you even very experienced people get into the driving and get lost in the course at times, it's no big deal.

No one is going to demean you... and most will probably be jealous you have a V 8 car, most of them are little 4 bangers with loud ass exhausts. they are smaller, more nimble and there isn't really much of a race to it that HP can even help with. ... tires rule all there.... be humble, and take it for what it is.... a good way to have fun and increase your driving ability in a parking lot... it's no road course you won't top 50 MPH ... but it's a frikin blast that's for sure.

if you go, and don't race make sure you do a ride along, because the in car feel is WAY different than the boring ass watching from the stands!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I agree with what Steve said. It's a blast, have only been to a couple, but it was a lot of fun in the Trans am I had back the . You get several runs, so take your time on the first few and pick your line and make sure you know where to go, then go faster.

Everyone there is super nice and extremely helpful, plus there's usually a few new guys there anyway so you won't be the only one. The course can be kind of intimidating at first, especially if you have horrible memory like me, but after a few walks of the course and taking your first few runs slow then you know it pretty well.
    And you can come watch the first time if you want, but after about 2 runs of everyone else racing, you'll see how it's really not that scary and wish you had signed up. It's a lot of fun and doesn't take long to get comfortable with it once you do it.
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver" -Ayrton Senna
    AP1 S2000

I took an extra lap once. I was a little embarrassed, but nobody gave me any crap over it. Lol

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    swvrscca.org.
    they have them at riverside highschool, check the site for the schedule
    Theirs are always on sundays. jjz28, if you decide to try one give me a heads up and I'll come down and help you out if you want. I've been autocrossing for 4 full seasons now and done many track days and some time trials.
    Elazar
    http://www.facebook.com/elazar.mann

'92 Subaru SVX Lsl '92 Subaru SVX Lsl '00 Dodge Dakota 4x4 '82 Jaguar XJS H.E. (Restoration project)
    and now '91 Toyota MR2 NA for the track

"The great object is that every man be armed." -Patrick Henry

That looks like about the only constant autocross event in the state. I'm looking to start auto crossing my Camaro. I want to get some practice because I would like to go to goodguys in Columbus this summer and autocross there. Gotta start somewhere.

I really like autocross too but damn driving down south that far gets old..

We tried to get them to come up this way but every lot we could find they didn't like. They did say they would come up this way if we found a good spot.

They were using the Wood County Airport here for a while, not sure what happened with that.

I was told that the FAA told all airports you want federal funds then get the cars off the runways. FLD happens because the told the FAA to take a hike.

"They" means Greene county commission told FAA to keep their money's

Had autocrossing in Elkins too before that.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Cumberland Airport Autocross is on track to be back up and running sometime mid-way through this season. They never actually used the runways and didn't interfere with airport operations at all; that's all the FAA grant mandates. It's all in the process of being sorted out and the language interpreted properly. So fingers crossed that we can get a few runs in before the year ends. And they are closer than Belle for us northern WV guys.
    Elazar
    http://www.facebook.com/elazar.mann

'92 Subaru SVX Lsl '92 Subaru SVX Lsl '00 Dodge Dakota 4x4 '82 Jaguar XJS H.E. (Restoration project)
    and now '91 Toyota MR2 NA for the track

"The great object is that every man be armed." -Patrick Henry