Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLDs: Whats it going to take to be a Top Dog?

Default FLDs: Whats it going to take to be a Top Dog?

Funny topic that came up when I was talking to my sister in laws boyfriend out in the garage when he was looking at my project. I honestly never thought about it because I wasn't interested but he did spark some questions after we talked for a bit. What would it take so smoke those full blow race cars that show up at the events? I know traction is king so with that out of the way... Would a turbo car do it or are the nitrous cars going to keep these events locked up? How much power do you think those cars are putting down power wise? Has anyone seen one run at the drag strip to get an idea of the times they running?

I might get lined up with one next summer now that I got my ignition bugs worked out of the Cobra and see how bad I get crushed. Every time I lined up with one before, I stood on the 2 step too long because I couldn't hear and kicked a check engine light. Stupid wiring issue but I found it.
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra
    Founding member of Fast mustang on jack stands garage.
    (Crap I broke it good this time!)

Default Re: FLDs: Whats it going to take to be a Top Dog?

Well you have seen how Timmys car runs there. He went 8.50 and but you know he detunes it to run there. I think you are right......traction is #1. I know the easiest way to win the FLD's......Buy the black camaro. It was for sale at the last FLD's. I have no doubt that thing runs 5's in the 1/8 on an unprepped track.

Money...

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout
    I was the least gay ford guy

I was talking to Mike (think that's the owners name) about the black Camaro the last event I was at. I also know what shop set it all up and that it pulled a front tire when he left on me when I first got the Cobra back. 5's in the 1/8 are being done on the old style 275 mt DRs with 80mm and smaller turbos so maybe those top dog cars are around 1000rwhp or so but its mostly the traction form those huge tires.

I am just happy to be semi fast with full interior and cold a/c on 93 pump. I may have been the happiest 2nd place guy ever at the FLDs when I got beat by the red Coronet by a fender.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    Money...
    Nope because the guy with the biggest hauler never wins. lol
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

I run low 11s @ 121 in the quarter with a tight converter on all motor and can dead hook at the FLDs......still isnt enough for most of the cars there! Im adding a 4K stall and hopefully a 150 shot, should put me 650ish to the wheels low 10s and I still dont think I can do much with the "full blown race cars".

Robbie

lots of money and a spot on suspension setup is what it will take.

your running a 1/8th mile race, so remember that when it comes to gearing.

Turbo or nitrous ether way.. or you can run both... in the right amount, the coronett is a turbo car, a lot of the other cars are nitrous cars... as for HP... it's about that, but it's more about weight, gearing and hooking. most of the cars there i would say are comparable to low 9 second cars. BUT not sure some of them would finish the quarter in 9's due to a gearing limitation.

one of the early on races in my trans am which IS not that fast ( cars on the same set up are high 11's) i got my ass handed to me by a knotch with a 400 CI motor... i was confused as shit. then the owner and I got to talking... he had 456 gears in the car. and much stickier tires.. i was pulling hard at the end... but i needed more runway.

The other way is a boosted to hell and back DSM with a pro tuner in the drivers seat and a lap top in the passenger seat making adjustments every run... and then having the luck for the car not to break
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Just to clear confusion, the red coronet I am referring to is the father son team. It’sa BB on spray. I have looked the car over and talked to them many times and have high res video from my gopro where you can clearly hear the run. Just don't have the gopro vids online.

This is the red car I am referring to. I hot lapped 6 times before this run. I was playing with Tom in his fiero (3 runs) and then a fox body and another car over and over. I pulled in for a cool down but was told to head back out for the finals so I didn't get any cool down like most of those so called street cars.

Last edited by Ruthless; 11-20-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

ooh, the one i was thinking of was a rear mount twin turbo setup.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Are you thinking of Rob's Tempest? The one that looks rough but runs very hard.
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

yeah... I think.. don't know the old cars to every exact model, looks like hell has a rear mount twin set up on it.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Traction! weather it be giant wide sticky rubber or in awd form, once that is achieved next comes out launching your top dog opponent. To do that I believe more torque will get it done every time vs bunches of HP(except extremely light machines). IMO Not enough length only racing 1/8mi for the higher HP machines to really use all available power.
    I mean try to out launch and pass the GMC Diesel that is a constant threat there.
    Regardless everyone participating line up with my ugly turbo Buick next season.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

I agree with the traction part because I have my power in the cobra ramping in very slowly to keep from blowing the tires off. Now that could be because I was on 3 year old tires that are shot. I guess I will see next year with a new set. I kind screwed up last year. When I was just beat in the video I posted, I went out and re-did my suspension setup. This caused me to start the tweaking process all over and then the cords in my tires started showing. After I saw that my year was over until I got some new rubber.

I am getting off topic...

I think my car did good considering this run. However I got greedy and ended up smoking them up but then the other car has issues and I got him before the finish line.

Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

I'd like to see some more competition in the big dog class. My pockets wont ever be deep enough though. The last race this year the turbo Camaro did beat the black car but definitely jumped. The red coronet was running street class this year not sure why. Big tire, lots of gear, a ton of torque and a line of credit.
    just a slow lt1

The red Coronet always runs street class unless the event doesn't have the true big dog cars. That's kinda what I do with the Cobra when I was asked to run in that class by the people putting on the event. Only difference is the coronet won the big dog class at an event years ago and the announcer keeps bring it up. Needless to say this is before the current fast cars were around.
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

They asked me to run big dog once due to lack of cars.....did not work out so well for me. lol But my car just doesnt work there.

All about launching and low end gears there.

D-Rod you should get a dedicated drag car.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by d-rod View Post
    They asked me to run big dog once due to lack of cars.....did not work out so well for me. lol But my car just doesnt work there.
    I had the same issue. The black Camaro launch and lifted his front tires. At that point I craped my pants and let out of it because he was halfway down the track. I think OSTMike was just screwing with my head back then because he set the race up. lol
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

Gotta have 2 people to make it a "race" not saying they have to be competitive.. I've been on both sides of that.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

so whats up with the big dogs?

Guessing you have something quick. ..... what you got?

I'd be willing to bet it is a notch. Just a guess.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

It would be nice to see more big dog cars. Gets old watching the same cars line up and every once in a while seeing a much slower car get matched up with one.

Amen to that.. wish i had the time and money to build one. I was going to build one but that was when weston was getting a drag strip
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Stevec5ws6 View Post
    Amen to that.. wish i had the time and money to build one. I was going to build one but that was when weston was getting a drag strip
    So is that definitely out? I've heard several different stories now about what is going on with it.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

nothing is definite, at least 2 or 3 of those stories are true. many are not.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo