Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Wheeler Tires Question

Default 4 Wheeler Tires Question

Let me preface this by saying EVERYTHING I've learned about these tires has been in the last like Day...

Vixen has a mid 90's honda 300EX ( racing style)

Tires that came on it were 22x10x9 for the rear and 22x7x10

I looked and the rears that are on it are a BITCH.. but if you do the 22x10.5x9 they are half the price... would theese work? I know it's 22 inches in diameter 10 inches wide and 9 inch diameter wheel...

any sources or recommendations are definitely welcome.. or lightly used tires even.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Default Re: 4 Wheeler Tires Question

Go for it, those are only 1/2 inch wider which will just make them easier to seat. They may not even be any different (depending on brand). I have a set of used tires but not sure if they are 20s or 22s. I'll check this evening if I can remember it.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

Definitley check.

what about going up/down in diameter.. I'm assuming at that point if i did all 4 that it wouldn't be a problem.

her dad has said not to get too aggressive on the rear tread as it will tear up the rear end... I'm not sure how.. but you do take apart more bikes than anyone else I know.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Here are pics of my tires. The rear are quite slick and they are the originals.

Only pic I could find atm. The seat was off because the battery was being replaced.

Damn, looks to be a 300ex still in good shape, even has the factory bar cover
    1997 Dodge Ram-5in BDS- it hauls shit
    1998 Camaro SS- When I need to compensate

1998 VW GTI- ex DD status- with some random shit- collecting dust FS

I looked, mine are 20x11-9 and about half worn. They are knockoff racing tires. I'd run 22s if your gonna trail ride, gives you a little ground clearance.
    Rougher tires may make things wear a little faster but not much. It would be harder on the chain than the rear bearings.
    I'd run something close to stock for better ride quality and better loose pack traction.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Quote Originally Posted by BullittProof View Post
    Damn, looks to be a 300ex still in good shape, even has the factory bar cover
    It is. My parents bought it new for my 13th birthday. I have a few family members trying to get me to sell it, but I love my fourwheelers. I grew up on them. I drive it like my car. lol. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the regular maintenance required and I think my dad was kinda lax on it. It has a new clutch hand lever from being rolled once and it partially broke off. And new rear bearings and the casing they come in. The rest is original well except for the loud exhaust my dad put on. Now its freaking annoyingly loud. It had the same air filter till this summer. I bought a K&N for it.

old air filter

new air filter!

Quote Originally Posted by kennygene View Post
    I looked, mine are 20x11-9 and about half worn. They are knockoff racing tires. I'd run 22s if your gonna trail ride, gives you a little ground clearance.
    Rougher tires may make things wear a little faster but not much. It would be harder on the chain than the rear bearings.
    I'd run something close to stock for better ride quality and better loose pack traction.
    So would a 22-10.5-9 be ok? Finding tires at a reasonable price is harder than finding tires for my car. lol

ok will these wheels work? They were taken off this:

The tires worked quite well actually. My dad had to take off the plastic piece that protects your heels, so theres only foot pegs now. It was more stable on off camera areas and actually had some traction. lol. So to save money I'm just going to use these tires for now. However, I still need a chain cog and front tie rods according to my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post

The tires worked quite well actually. My dad had to take off the plastic piece that protects your heels, so theres only foot pegs now. It was more stable on off camera areas and actually had some traction. lol. So to save money I'm just going to use these tires for now. However, I still need a chain cog and front tie rods according to my dad.
    you have auto correct on... "off camera areas" lol. when your not being filmed that is ... when it comes to an ATV.. i don't like areas that have any camber at all.. which is funny.. because they don't bother me at all on a jeep, lawn mower I've stood on the top side of the deck before to hold the tractor down..
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

They look good on there too...

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Quote Originally Posted by kennygene View Post
    They look good on there too...
    we all know that's the most important part gotta look good when we roll!
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

No auto correct. I spelled it how I pronounce it, so didn't know the proper spelling. I'm hick what can I say? lol

Spelling and lunch were about the only two things i did well in school.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

So camber is pronouced like camera?

cam·ber

[kam-ber] Show IPA
    verb (used with object), verb (used without object) 1. to arch slightly; bend or curve upward in the middle.

noun 2. a slight arching, upward curve, or convexity, as of the deck of a ship.

3. a slightly arching piece of timber.

4. Aeronautics . the rise of the curve of an airfoil, usually expressed as the ratio of the rise to the length of the chord of the airfoil.

5. Automotive. the outward or inward tilt of a wheel, called positive when the top tilts outward and negative when it tilts inward, measured as the angle, in degrees, between the vertical and a plane through the circumference of the tire.

I have never noticed you mispronouncing it in person.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I've always called it off camera because thats what my parents called it. lol

Oh well.. wierd the places we learn things.. had one of the girls i work with say "what's this" on my iphone.. damned if they didn't sneak in one very cool new menu that I had not seen yet.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Bought the smaller cog for the chain and tie rod endlinks for the front from ebay. Once these are installed, hopefully the 4wheeler will be good to go. Like my car, things are wearing out on it, but it is older with less hours/miles.

Got the new cog installed. 4wheeler up and running again yay!

Sounds good, those are nice little wheelie machines!

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Just be careful your not overloading your tranny using those big tires. Easy riding should be fine but I wouldn't ride her hard like that.
    ""