Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas to improve the Flashlight Drags?

Default Any ideas to improve the Flashlight Drags?

Hey guys and gals! Some of you may know me from otherPittsburgh car sites. I wanted to stop by and see how the people that make itto the FLDs feel about the events and gather ideas to try to make them more enjoyable foreveryone. I ended up missing the last event because of a planned vacation sowhen I got home I was on the internet looking for videos and stories about theraces. I have to say that I am a little disappointed by the amountcomplaints I saw posted. These events are to have fun so lets try to keep them that way.

The #1 complaint I keep seeing is about what cars should be running in certain classes. Iwould like to brain storm some ideas and present them to the people that put onthese events. I know that too many rules are not a good thing but I am startingto see a need for a type of guide line that people can use to determine whatclass their car should be in. Heck maybe there should even be a class betweenthe Top Dogs and other classes for the fastest street cars and just let the BigDogs run whatever they want. I know for a fact that a hand full of them cant hot lap without over heating so I am not sure how they would do on the street.

I will post my ideas after the ball gets rolling a bit.

BTW This is to brain storm ideas and not start arguments so letís please keep itthat way.

Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra
    Founding member of Fast mustang on jack stands garage.
    (Crap I broke it good this time!)

Default Re: Any ideas to improve the Flashlight Drags?

Have them in Ebensburg again... I'm not driving 2 hours to drag race.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout
    I was the least gay ford guy

Good point but the FAA did that one in after theFLDs were published in a national magazine. My understanding is that the eventscan NOT be held at any airfield that receives government funding.

That doesn't mean that they cant find other locations to hold them.

Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

Just found this. I thought the last race was the last one for the year but I guess not.

NEXT EVENT:
    Saturday, October 12th - ONE MORE TIME Pittsburgh International Race Complex
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

Ruthless on a local forum???????

So this past FLD was the first I have been to without the pink slips. Personally I like the pink slip idea better. It keeps it competitive throughout the whole day. Sure the way they do it now allows more people in the "shootout" but the point is to find the fastest cars. Second round I look over and see a camaro on street tires lined up with me. it might make some people happy but its a waste of time and gas to let 13 second cars in a class that. I vote to go back to pink slips.

I missed the all the FLD this year but the last one, so I never experienced the pink slip deal. I actually think the format this time was pretty good though. I'm sure nobody would agree with me on this one, (it's just the purest in me) but I actually liked the girl with the flashlight to start us instead of the starting light that is now used. Just kinda took the "flashlight" out of the Flashlight Drags for me. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter to me how it's done, as long as it continues to be done. No matter how the format is set up, there is always someone who won't like it. Some people just complain to hear themselves talk too. I appreciate all the hard work it takes just to put these on, because I've been a part of it in the past. There are several things that I think would make the event more fun, but none are exactly doable because of the need to follow the rules placed by both the insurance company and the airport. I think you guys are doing as good as you can with what you have to work with.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Yeppers! I am still around. LOL

I agree D-Rod. However I bet that 13second car owner is on the net crying that you should have been in the Top Dog class so he has a shot to win top street.

I think cars in your performance range need there own class. I say take those guys and give them a non-gutted interior, small tire class to battle in. These cars have alternators, cooling systems and can be hot lapped all day so they are not Top Dog cars by any means.
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

Yea nothing will make everyone happy. I enjoy them no matter what too. What a great turnout on saturday.

I feel having a bunch of classes just separates everyone and leads to the "everyone gets a trophy" aspect.

As for the pink slips, I'm not sure if i was at just one or two races with them used.. but it was cool... those of us who didn't care were oblivious to "pink slip" races.. but it filtered out top dogs pretty well. kind of let them have their own little race.

What i have seen in my limited experience is that having a bunch of "classes" will leave people sitting longer waiting on those classes.

A couple of the things to think about as a business stand point... it can't really grow the way it is now. it can either be grown with more dates, more locations, or more time to race. From what I've seen a few races have been absolutely PACKED. some have had less cars etc.

I'm quite glad they have them, my non attendance has been because of a busy life and cars not being suitable at this point.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Good point about the addition of classes. D-Rod will tell you how much I care about winning the finals. "I am going to eat go ahead and run with my pink slip just let me race you for it before the finals if you still have it." LOL

I just cant understand how so many people cry about these events. Sounds like everyone that has posted here just go to hang out and have fun like myself. Guess we need a cry baby to post up. lol

My wife was cracking me up telling me about a few runs I had where I hot lapped and didn't get to see the other drivers melt downs. "Oh the last guy you raced came back and kicked his car" "That guy got out and threw something." Then she tells me that I should race them again.

Me I just pull up to the person I raced and give them a thumbs up or chat. Its not the end of the world if I don't win.
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

I didn't have to have a meltdown this past weekend, my car had one on my behalf.

RNA Team #217
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)

www.elzaperformance.com

The FLD's seem to get better every year. Bringing back the pinkslips and spraying sone traction compound on the strip is all I'd like too see. No complaints otherwise other than I didn't get the Buick ready for the last event.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

I'd like to see a FLD event at the airport in Flatwoods WV.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

Good Luck with that Kenny. FAA Kicked Cameron hard in the balls on that one years ago.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

I know it would probably never happen but, it would be cool for sure.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    Yeppers! I am still around. LOL

I agree D-Rod. However I bet that 13second car owner is on the net crying that you should have been in the Top Dog class so he has a shot to win top street.

I think cars in your performance range need there own class. I say take those guys and give them a non-gutted interior, small tire class to battle in. These cars have alternators, cooling systems and can be hot lapped all day so they are not Top Dog cars by any means.
    Quote Originally Posted by d-rod View Post
    Yea nothing will make everyone happy. I enjoy them no matter what too. What a great turnout on saturday.
    Butt Secks would make D-Rod happier.. and speedracer WILL drive 2+ hrs for that!

Good point about the addition of classes. D-Rod will tell you how much I care about winning the finals. "I am going to eat go ahead and run with my pink slip just let me race you for it before the finals if you still have it." LOL

I just cant understand how so many people cry about these events. Sounds like everyone that has posted here just go to hang out and have fun like myself. Guess we need a cry baby to post up. lol

My wife was cracking me up telling me about a few runs I had where I hot lapped and didn't get to see the other drivers melt downs. "Oh the last guy you raced came back and kicked his car" "That guy got out and threw something." Then she tells me that I should race them again.

Me I just pull up to the person I raced and give them a thumbs up or chat. Its not the end of the world if I don't win.
    I am the same way.... Food before during and after racing is needed... lol. and if i get beat, i get beat, no big deal.. only person i get pissed at is me for doing stupid stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kennygene View Post
    I'd like to see a FLD event at the airport in Flatwoods WV.
    If they get FAA monies your pretty screwed there...
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I don't care where I have to drive for fun like this but I would like to have more events.

Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

Damn good race!
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Thanks. That is the Coronet that people have been crying about being in Top Street.

I think I had 6 hot laps before this race while he was cooling off. lol
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

Jake got concrete in, now we need him to put in timing lights. Then we will know the fast ones or sandbaggers.

Nice video, old school wins but worked for it. Thanks for posting!

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

I have an idea... Rt 50 right before Cool springs would be a great place for a FLD lol

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout
    I was the least gay ford guy

Not a problem. There are more under my account.

I am proud of my car for what it can run with.

Car details...

Coronet
    Built big block
    100+ shot of nitrous
    100 octane race gas
    auto
    gutted interior
    not sure if he even has an alternator

03 Cobra
    Factory stock engine (never had the cam cover off)
    76mm turbo
    93 pump gas
    auto swap (Rossler th400 with 3.27 rear gears)
    full interior with A/C
    IRS swapped to solid with baseline suspension parts
    Battery in the front (LOL)

Both car were on DOT tires. Mine showing cords.

I also hot lapped the crap out of my car having fun, heck thats what it was built for. I think it was on number 6 while Mr race car was on 1. lol
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

Another vid.

Lesson...If you are in a AWD DSM and get out launched but the car that beats you off the line blows the tires off, DO NOT HIT YOUR NITROUS.

Hey speedracer! I had to use that big round thing that sits in front of me on this pass.
    Ryan
    03 Sonic Blue Cobra

Not a problem. There are more under my account.

I am proud of my car for what it can run with.

Car details...

Coronet
    Built big block
    100+ shot of nitrous
    100 octane race gas
    auto
    gutted interior
    not sure if he even has an alternator

03 Cobra
    Factory stock engine (never had the cam cover off)
    76mm turbo
    93 pump gas
    auto swap (Rossler th400 with 3.27 rear gears)
    full interior with A/C
    IRS swapped to solid with baseline suspension parts
    Battery in the front (LOL)

Both car were on DOT tires. Mine showing cords.

I also hot lapped the crap out of my car having fun, heck thats what it was built for. I think it was on number 6 while Mr race car was on 1. lol

... Wait.. so you took a cobra... removed the IRS... removed the Manual transmission and the blower..... those are the only 3 reasons I see to buy a cobra..... why not save a TON of money and do that with a GT.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo