Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo build

Default Re: 85 GLH Turbo build

Factory cars are coming out with such huge hp numbers, even "mild" sports cars are putting down 3 or 400hp. I could make more horsepower on the front motor but that just complicates the fwd traction problem and it starts running into money to go over 300hp with the first gen Dodge 4 cylinder turbos. 2nd gen turbo engines like the SRT4 can make 300 plus hp on the stock engine and really don't cost much to push to 400hp. I already have the engine and all the parts to do the job so cost wont be an issue, just the 160 plus hours of labor I estimate to do the whole job. I am shooting for spring for the car to be drivable. A few guys on the turbo dodge and mopar forums have built 2 engine cars and even a Rampage or two but there is not much info about them after they are done. Maybe they just don't work out that well in the end. I've got to try it myself though and I'm going to chronicle everything so get ready for a lot more pictures!

Here are some pictures I've taken over the last few month while getting things ready. These are of the transmission I'm building to replace the one in the front. I am going with a lockup to keep the rpms lower at interstate speeds with my 2.60 final drive. I plan to drive this car a lot this coming year.

Vise grips are holding the one way in while I'm getting the rest of the gear train ready.

[IMG][/IMG]

Found out there are at least two different output shafts and governor supports.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The rear one way can be a pain to install but If you can get a piece of 4 inch pipe and cut it about and inch and a half thick then split one side open you can make a easy install tool.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I have not had a 2nd gear band failure yet but figured I would reinforce the end just in case. I only had a mig welder to do it and didn't want to burn the band material off so I came up with this idea that seemed to work ok. I froze a forward drum in my freezer overnight. Then I clamped the band around that. When I welded on the band the ice cold drum kept the material from burning.

[

Installed case savers on the differential. They generally protect the case if the differential pin comes loose. However as seen in the second picture you can still bust the case if you spin one wheel long enough. That picture is of a transaxle out of a PT Cruiser. The owner was stuck in the snow and spun one wheel back and forth for over thirty minutes before throwing the pin out. The differential was nearly cut in two by the pin. This let it come out once it got out from under the case saver.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I made an adapter plate to mate the older A413 to the newer 2.4 motor. Chrysler made it easy as they kept the same bolt pattern for three of the four bolts. I used the 2.4 engine backing plate as its very thick and drilled the extra hole in the correct place and then put the dowel in the plate to make sure the engine to transmission alignment is close. I welded a nut on one side and cut it out inside to hold the dowel. I will be sandwiched in between the front motor mount and the transmission bell housing. I then drilled and cut the back side out to put in the starter as the newer generation of engines had them on the front.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Used an old core engine block from the junk heap at work to bolt to my 3 speed transaxle so I could mock up my front motor mount and get the starter to fit. On the back of the block I will have to move the oil sending unit over to another hole that's already drilled. Then I will have to figure out how much the block needs ground down where the oil return passage goes behind the starter.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Since this was a junk motor I thought I should check to see how much grinding I could do on the oil return passage to clear the starter before it cut through. The block is really thick in this area. It took nearly a quarter of an inch to clear the starter and still didn't break through.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Finished up the rear brace for the transmission. I used an original 2.2 brace and with some cutting, grinding and welding it fits pretty well.

[IMG][/IMG]

One last look at the rear seat before its history.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice crazy progress, your the sole poster here now.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

That makes me feel important lol. I have been posting this build on two other sites for the last few years so its just a matter of cutting and pasting to put it up here also. Just in case someone looks in at least they have something to look at while they are here. It appears I've had about 600 views here in the last month so at least its not completely dead here. My second engine install is coming along pretty well. I have the rear interior stripped out of the Omni now and I'm ready to start cutting. Hopefully get to that in the next couple of weeks.