Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo build

Default Re: 85 GLH Turbo build

power numbers soon?
    -John

Getting closer by the day. I'm hoping for a dyno day soon. I also plan on going to Kanawha valley raceway to get an eighth mile time slip this fall. Tomorrow should be the first test drive with the new turbo so we will see how that goes. It will probably take me a few weeks of driving it to get the tune setup right.

Finished putting on the exhaust system. Added a 12 inch long collector and used a throttle body from a gm v8 fly by wire for the cutout. A band saw removed all the electronics and brackets from the tb and then I drove it up into the 4 inch collector backwards. Pictures tell the rest of the story.
    ]

that is awesome!
    -John

The car is back on the road now. Made a few lower boost passes to check everything out. If felt very strong at 15 psi, probably as good as it was on 18 before. Ran the boost controller up for one higher boost pass and realized this turbo can really put it out. Let off of it when it bumped 30 psi. Seemed like a little too much for a bone stock bottom end 2.5 lol. Fortunately I have the timing curve take a big nose dive at 25 psi to lessen the chance of piston cracking spark knock. Settled for 18 for now. I have a new idea for the methanol injection system so I will start working on that in the next week or so. Then I will work on the new calibration.

Digging through some old paper work the other day and was surprised to find these time slips from 30 years ago. This was while the Omni was stock and still wearing the original Goodyear tires. I was 21 and this was my first trip to a drag strip. Its kind of funny that the fastest run of the day was with the drivers window down.

Cool vintage stuff.
    She was pretty quick even then.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

A brief update on the car so far. With the new turbo, manifold and down pipe the boost is totally different from the previous setup. Here's what I've noticed in the last two weeks of driving. The boost comes on sooner with the bigger turbo which I didn't expect at all. It builds 2-3 pounds at 2000 rpm. However it builds at a pretty linear rate compared to the old setup. With it boost would start after 2000 but hit 22 psi by 3000. The new setup takes till about 3500 or so to hit that same level. Feels good on the street and is more controllable too. Seems like its time to start working on the cal to take better advantage of the new setup. Also checked the boost activated voltage increase on the coil, injectors and fuel pump. Under load the voltage at the coil sometimes goes as low as 11.7 volts and I'm sure its that low or lower at the fuel pump. With the extra relay turned on voltage at the coil stays over 14 volts and actually goes up under load. Never misfires now even when it hit 30 psi boost. The steering gear works like a new one I'm happy to report. No leaks or stiff steering when cold. I think I will rebuild the one from the blue GLH and put in my upcoming Rampage project.

backyard engineering FTW...well done
    -John

Currently I am trying to get the cal dialed in on my car since I have made so many changes to the engine setup this year. This is the timing map that I am working with right now. Its revision number 6. I changed it once a day last week driving it to work and back and once over the weekend. Now its pretty close. There is a slight dip in the advance curve around 3500 as the motor seems more prone to knock at that rpm under high boost. I've read that it happens on a lot of engines close to their max torque rpm. One thing I have not done is hit it with nitrous. That will be later on this week. I purposely dropped the timing very quickly after 2500 rpm and at high boost levels just for nitrous use. I might even have to drop it more than the 10 degrees its set to now from 4500 up.

It looks like the last test and tune at Kanawha Valley is scheduled for the 4th of September. I am doing everything in my power to get the car done by then so I can try to get a time slip. At the very least I will have a reference point for future mods. Chris is planning on taking his Camaro down as he really has it running well. He says I don't have a chance at all to out run him. His biggest gain I think came from a new set of soft compound tires that will negate the holeshot advantage I had over him previously but I'm going to try none the less. Another friend of mine with an 09 supercharged Challenger is going to try to go too. We only have one trailer between the three of us so the first one that breaks will at least have a way back home lol.

Did some more data logging to see just how every thing timing related was working out. Here are some different views of the same full throttle pass. Knock sensor didn't go over 1 volt the whole run which I consider pretty safe.

Here is the first graph with the highest knock at at about 5900 which I consider mostly to be noise from the motor. The pistons are pretty loose as it has a lot of mileage on it and if you notice the knock goes down through the run which I think is because the pistons expand as they are super heated from 21 psi boost and a 35 hp shot of nitrous lol. If it was a timing problem the knock signal would normally go up as the cylinder temperature did and as the engine was put under more load in the higher gears. However it goes down as you can see, hence my loose piston theory.

The second graph shows the transmission shifted itself to second at about 6200 rpm at 52 mph, a little high for my liking but the engine never quit pulling.

Next up is the 2-3 shift. 5700 at 83. A good 500 rpm lower than the first shift. This seems to be a common problem with the 3 speed transaxles. The first shift point is usually higher than the second shift. I like the 2-3 shift exactly where its at but I am going to work on lowering the rpm of the 1-2 shift probably by changing the 1-2 shift valve spring to a weaker one from a non turbo 2.2 carb motor.

WHat program is this?

Do you need to run such low timing (2-3 deg) to eliminate knock or??

Why such a huge (and rapid) timing increase in top of third gear?

What fuel are you on?
    -John

The program is Snap On's Shop Stream connect. I used to data log with my old snap on mt2500 but it didn't capture data very fast. I bought a used Modis that allows me to select what data parameters I want to scan and when I just log four sensors then I get a lot more samples per second. As far as the timing goes I know that the 93 octane gas around here will only support a maximum of 10 degrees advance on my motor under full boost. When I use nitrous about 5 degrees is the most I can get by with. I know I lose a lot of hp from the low timing but the stock cast pistons are the weak link in the chain. That timing jump is when I lifted.

ahh...makes sense on teh rapid timing.

man that lack of timing is huge crush...better hit it with more spray.
    -John

any updates on dyno numbers or track times?
    -John

I did drive it 135 miles to the track for a test and tune and was able to make 5 passes. The car ran good considering I handicapped it with my water to air intercooler which was useless at the track. It was 93 in the shade that day and there were a lot of street cars running their a/c's in the staging lanes and had made a mess on the track. I planned on capping my water drain while in the staging lanes and during the run then draining it in the grass where we were parked but the track officials said that would not be allowed. Therefore I ran all 5 passes with hot water in the intercooler. Since time was limited I only got 4 runs in against the supercharged hemi challenger. I won three out of four all because of my reaction time. Then I was able to run my archenemy Chris in his 6.7 liter Camaro. His car is faster than mine by a good bit but he had never been up against a tree. So I cut the best light of the night for me with a .07 reaction time and pulled out the win by a mere .04 lol. I was on a 35 shot and he was just on the motor. I ran a best of 8.58 which is nearly a second slower than I hope the car is capable of. My best 60 ft was 2.119 so with a set of slicks I can pick up three tenths there. I had to launch at 2000 rpm and 2 psi boost just to get it taken off. Then about 20 feet out I would hit the nitrous to spool the turbo up and it would spin through the 60 ft lights, you can hear the tires squealing in the video. I plan to revamp the wta intercooler to allow me to add ice to the water tank just for drag racing at the track, that along with slicks will get me into the 7's I'm sure.

Good stuff, you did add a good amount of weight to the car, so another handicap there.
    Let me know when your ready to build a turbo Buick! Outstanding performance for the $$ invested.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

8.58 would be good for 12.99-13.0....would surprise alot of people!

Any plans to hit the dyno or the track this fall in better DA?
    -John

Looks like it will be spring before I can go again. I really don't want to go to the track again without slicks so I'm working on getting a set this winter. When ever they have another dyno day for this site I will try to go then. It's just a major undertaking it seems to go do either from where I live.

I've really enjoyed this build thread. Nice to see someone really do some good work.
    2000 Mustang GT SOHC 4.6L : 665hp at the tirel
    11.00 @ 134 mph... A 17 year love affair...

Wyotech Graduate 03/14 : High Performance 1 & 2...Engine Management Systems 1 & 2...Powertrain...
    Chassis/Suspension & Braking systems.. 3.7 GPA.

Quote Originally Posted by jivepepper View Post
    I've really enjoyed this build thread. Nice to see someone really do some good work.
    Thanks! I've still got a lot to do to the car including the interior and body. My goal is to get it into the 7's so better traction and 30 or so more hp should do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by RGL10 View Post
    Thanks! I've still got a lot to do to the car including the interior and body. My goal is to get it into the 7's so better traction and 30 or so more hp should do the job.

THere is a track rental at PRP in New Alexandria on Sunday October 25 - we rented the track in the spring and you could get 20 passes if you wanted.

well worth the $65 to get some seat time.
    -John

I get sidetracked a lot it seems. I've been working on a homemade geothermal heating/air conditioning system for my home so the Omni has just been getting driven to and from work every week. I have a few things though that I will be doing this winter to get the car into the 7's this coming year. I have the manual reverse valve body that's still in the blue 86 that will get transplanted to the 85. This will fix my shift point problems once and for all. I will also fix the wta intercooler system for track use and I'm going with an all aluminum radiator that will fit under the core support instead of behind it so I will have some more room under the hood. I'm going to procure a decent set of slicks and probably install my 1.22 transfer gears for a 3.50 final drive ratio instead of the 3.04 I'm running now just for drag racing the 1/8.

Itís been about a year since I have been able to do anything with the Omni. I have though been acquiring parts and building pieces to do a two engine Rampage. The more I have thought about it the more I think I will keep the Rampage as it is. It spent most of its life in Florida so it is pretty rust free and would be a shame not to be able to use it as a truck if most of the bed was taken up by another engine. That leaves me with the GLH. Iím in my mid 50ís and along with the variable timing setup and air conditioner cooled intercooler, a two engine car is something I have always wanted to do. Itís one of the top ten things on my automotive bucket list you might say. I know that cutting up a GLH Turbo car is not the smartest thing to do so I am going to cut two of them up lol. The black 85 that I drive now has run an 8.5 in the eighth and the blue 86 I built in the mid 90ís ran 7.70ís pretty consistently. I was fortunate to get both cars back in the last three years so I figure itís time to knock the two engine car off my list. The black Omni front drive train will remain pretty much the same. It puts out over 250 hp to the wheels. The only thing is I will lose is my water to air intercooler but for drag racing that will be a plus as it doesnít work well at a track anyhow. The front clip off the 86 will be put up under the back of the 85. I have already built a new 3 speed with lock up that will replace the current 3 speed non lock up that is in the front. The non lock up 3 speed will go in the back with an 03 PT 2.4 turbo engine. I already have all the electronics sorted out and wiring harness built for the rear engine except for building a 2.4 cal for the computer. The rear engine will be stripped of everything except the water pump. This engine will only be run when Iím drag racing or taking someone for a ride of course. The rest of the time it will be just some extra weight in the back. Iím sure that with nitrous I can get 300 wheel hp from that setup stock. The car should run like a 550 hp 6 speed all wheel drive 2700lb race car with both engines on and like a typical 25 mpg grocery getter with just the front engine running. I will still have a/c and cruise control on the front motor for traveling. I have spent quite a bit of time thinking of the things needed to do to make this work. I have a plan for a transaxle oiling system for the rear transmission so it doesnít get burnt up when itís in tow mode. I am going to shoot for a single cooling solution to service both engines. After I get the setup running and most of the bugs worked out I will start building more hp out of the rear engine. I have already built an adapter to put the older style A413 behind the newer 2.4 engine. The front motor mount is half finished too. Things should start picking up in this build thread soon!

Lots to do going In this direction, the stuff dreams are made of. The motivation is there, as if late I've seen and heard several dual engined machines. The ones coming to mind were all GM products, you would be the first taking on the Dodge challenge.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4