Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo build

Default Re: 85 GLH Turbo build

is it fast?
    -John

That's a tough question. It's fast for an Omni but I'm wanting it to be faster than a 6.0 ls motor stroked to a 408. So far I'm not there that's where all the modifying and testing comes in. My previous GLH which had a 2.2 in it with a stock air to air intercooler ran a best of 7.65 on slicks at Grandview dragway nearly 20 years ago. I'm hoping that this car with a 2.5 and years more experience on my part can at least match that. We are planning on going to the flashlight drags on the 13th to see how it does. If after that race I can see no chance of out running the Camaro then I will just finish up a few things on the Omni like putting on the aftermarket exhaust manifold and bigger turbo then start on the body work. It will continue to be my dd for the summers. My backup plan if the Omni fails is a 98 Neon I just bought. I'm going to build it just for running at the flds. Street legal to the bare minimum with a few really radical ideas for the power train even for me lol. (and no ls swap for it either just pure Chrysler 4 cylinder power!)

Just for comparison of where you want to be, I've seen several 4th Gen F-bodies with N/A iron block 408's run in the 7.3-7.5 range. The FLD are a great equalizer though. Traction is going to be the key for you reguardless of whether or not you actually have enough car to keep up with him. I've beaten lots of cars up there with ALOT more power than mine, and been beaten by several with less.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

7.65 20 yrs ago is quick.
    -John

In all honesty, it's still pretty quick.

RNA Team #217
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)

www.elzaperformance.com

I ran out of time this year to do everything to the car I wanted. Also after waiting nearly a year a small batch of performance exhaust manifolds were made and I just received mine last week. So sometime this winter I should finish the drivetrain up for now. I think I can get it up to about 275hp on the engine and 325 to 350 with the nitrous on. Good enough for my dd. Next spring I will try to do the body work and give it a paint job. Here is the aftermarket manifold, a .63 turbine housing and a wastegate flange that I will use to make a divorced wastegate and down pipe this winter.

[IMG][/IMG]

i am surprised you didn't make a tubular header....

pretty cool to get new manifolds cast for the old cars!
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    i am surprised you didn't make a tubular header....

pretty cool to get new manifolds cast for the old cars!
    I did think about making one but most of them don't hold up daily driving as they crack. Since its behind the head on this motor it requires the head to be removed to change it. These cast ones have been holding up for years at a time so that's the main reason I went with it. Believe it or not there is still a pretty good following for these old turbo Dodges and many of the performance parts are still available.

stainless sch 40 pipe is strong.

looking forward to track results!
    -John

Finally made it to a fld. Must say it was fun! Made 5 passes total, could have made 5 times that if I wasn't worried about making it back home in one piece as it was over a 300 mile round trip. Raced Chris 4 times, won the first and third races against him. I had less traction problems with my 2.60 final drive and an automatic verses his 4.10 manual six speed. Both of us ran dot drag radials. Most fast cars up there ran slicks. His car pulled right past me at the cones every time, twice a little after and the other two times a few car lengths before. The run he beat me the worst was mostly my fault, I forgot to open my cutout and it really killed the power. He won that run by about 2.5 car lengths. I also ran a small Honda I think it was and beat him by a few lengths. All in all a nice day to race. Here is a video of race three between myself and Chris. My gps recorded speeds between the lowest of 94.5 with my exhaust corked up and my best run was 98.7 in the video below. I don't know how accurate that is but I'm more confident now that this car can out run the blue Omni I built 20 years ago.

Another part for the upgrade to a divorced wastegate setup. I'm going to try to use a 3 inch elbow for the turbine outlet and a 1.5 for the waste gate dump. I will bring them together and put them through this 3.5 inch flex joint. The dump will be right below it. This should reduce any back pressure I have after the turbo for sure.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pretty awesome. Congrats on getting it where it is.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Thanks! I'm still hoping for a little bit more. I was near the top end of second gear at the finish line. In a few tests with my gps it hits my 6500 rpm rev limiter at 103 to 105 mph (in 2nd gear) with the airplane 2.60 final drive. Next year I will put the 3.02 gearset back in and with the upgraded turbo hopefully it will pick up a 2 or 3 car lengths in the eighth. Traction was not a problem at all and the car launched kinda soft. So I'm hoping the lower gear will bring it out a bit quicker.
    Last edited by RGL10; 10-15-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Back on the swing valve housing. I bolted the flange I cut off a 2 1/4 sw housing to the .63 turbine housing. I scribed the flapper contact area to see how much I could port the wastegate hole. I also noticed I need to grind a little off the insides of the flange as it hangs over the turbine outlet in two places.

nice work...are you happy with your variable cam timing system now?
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    nice work...are you happy with your variable cam timing system now?
    Yes it works perfectly. I am going to take the hood off the car before I park it for the winter and get a video of the vct in action. While I have the head off this winter to put the new exhaust manifold and turbine housing and swing valve on, I will check out the vct system hard parts to see how they held up over the summer. From what I can tell only the bolt on the vibration dampener needs shimmed, other that that it seems fine. I want to get a head start on next spring so I can go have the engine dynoed and then we are going to find a track to take it to so I can get some drag times.

would be great to see with and without vct system power numbers...got to be pretty big difference...even on a FI car.
    -John

I'm hoping for nearly 20ft lb torque down low and 15hp on top end, of course on a V8 you could easily more than double those numbers. Back on the project, I started off with a 2.75 id stainless pipe. I cut it to fit down inside the wg flange right through the middle to divide the wastegate from the turbine. The sides were cut to sit on top the the flange and at the bottom it also sits down to the turbine housing to seal off that bolt that is normally inside the swing valve housing. Since my design will be welded there will be no way to put that bolt in after the divorced wastegate is done. Here are my first pictures of the pipe welded into place. As you can see on both sides the swing valve flange is in to far even after I grinded on it some. My next plan will be to weld up the outside to thicken it in these areas and then grind some more out. Also the hole looks square, not the best for swirling gasses I know. So I will also weld up the corners and grind them back rounder overall. I will restraighten the pipe at the top to weld on the 3 inch elbow. Also I noticed how the waste gate puck opens the hole dead against the side of the flange. When I weld my little pipe to this section I'm going to grind out some of that part of the flange to let the exhaust out a little smoother.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

welding stainless to cast iron....400 series stainless or 300 series?
    -John

It was from a y pipe off a newer truck so maybe it was the 409 series but I really don't know. I do know from some research that the flange I used was cast steel instead of cast iron so its really easy to weld to. Here is where I filled the low spot in with 6 passes on our mig. Now I can grind out the inside without worrying about cutting through.

[IMG][/IMG]

cast steel....sweet...didn't realize that housing was steel.

great work
    -John

After a lot of welding and grinding I finally have it roughed in. It goes from a 2.25 turbine out hole to 3 inches where my downpipe will connect. Now its time to start on the wastegate dump pipe.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The variable cam timing system on my car has worked well enough that I consider it a success. This winter as I upgrade the exhaust manifold and turbo I will do some cosmetic work on the vct. I suffered a few minor setbacks mostly from experimenting but that's half the fun. Originally I thought I would use air to power the actuator then I moved to oil control but with the parts I had it just was not going to work so back to air I went. I'm glad I did as there is no mess to deal with, its much faster and is a hundred times less likely to damage the engine if something fails. Its built from a bunch of common items or stuff you can get off ebay. With what I know now I could build it in one long day. I'm getting ready to park the car for the winter but I wanted a video of it in action before I did that so here it is. Too much wind noise I know but the cameras are cheap so if you listen closely you might even be able to hear the difference in the engine when the cam retards at higher rpms.

Most impressive thread I have seen in any forum for quite some time.
    -John

Thanks! I have had a lot of ideas over the years about what I would like to try on a car. I'm finally getting to the point in life where I can actually do it and I'm not done yet!

[IMG][/IMG]

Hot rod season is officially over. Now its time to get back to building for next year. I took an old Jeep 4.0 manifold and cut off one of the header tubes. The factory stepped the pipe up about 4 inches from the flange. I turned it around backwards and welded it to my wastegate flange. Now I just need to patch in the small area that's left and port it out nice and smooth.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]