Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo build

Default Re: 85 GLH Turbo build

I really like the cars like the Omni and GLH cars back in the 80's. Those 2.2 liter turbo engines will run pretty good.

Yeah back in the 80's they were a force to be reckoned with. By the early nineties I was running mid 7's in the eighth but now a days I guess that's just a decent daily driver. Still, even with an automatic I can get near 30 mpg so that's not too bad.

I'm still jumping back and forth between the two big projects. The last few days I've been working on the vct system. Since I had problems with oil leaking on the actuator I have switched over to pneumatic controls. I decided to go cheap (as I always do) and use what I had or could get at a low price. I used my old 5lb nitrous bottle for the air tank. I bought an 85 to 105 psi switch and a 13 dollar compressor to supply the air. I used an old transmission band for the mount. Next I will run the hose to the front of the car and hook it to the solenoid. I also have a wiring harness that needs run from the front to the rear to power the pump.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

More complex than the oil system but this is better and dedicated for the purpose. Good stuff, can't wait to see this sleeper beat up on machines.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

The guys at work are putting a little pressure on me to get it back on the road. The 98 Camaro has been getting driven some to get the motor broken in. He feels sure I'm not going to be any competition for him. Also the Ford guy at the shop just bought a 99 Mustang that has a fair amount of performance work done to it including aftermarket heads. I'm thinking I should let the two of them duke it out and then I should take on the looser. Maybe then I wont be embarrassed so bad lol.

Anyhow, I ran the wiring harness under the left side of the car to the rear and the extra nitrous line that I
    will be using to get air from the compressor to the solenoid that actuates the vct system. I added
    about 5 extra wires in the harness from the engine compartment to the spare tire well. This way I
    will have them in the future if needed. I took some pics of the underside of the car so you can get
    an idea of all the extra stuff that's ran under there. The two copper lines are for the rear mounted
    condenser of course. To the right of the copper lines is the nitrous line that's wrapped in
    convoluted tubing from last year along with the wiring for the bottle shut off valve. If I had been
    thinking ahead I would have added some extra wires for future projects, but I didn't, so I took care
    of it this time when I ran the harness down the left side of the car. One of the 12 gauge wires in
    the new harness will power the 4 fans on the rear. Another 12 gauge wire will power three 12 volt
    power outlets in the hatch for the air compressor, bottle heater etc. I added a pressure switch near
    the condensers and a relay above them. This will control the ground side of the fans. Originally the
    radiator fan ran all the time the a/c was on. Now it will also turn off when the high side goes below
    240 psi. Should save some wear and tear on the fans and cut my battery draw when I'm moving at a good
    speed. I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel and hope to be driving it again soon.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Getting closer!

[IMG][/IMG]

Wth happend, did people loose interest as this got pic heavy?
    Keep on with the crazy home brewed idea's because I like them and nothing like fabricating a one of a kind piece for your machine.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Thanks! I try to post a lot of pictures because personally I like to see how stuff is done. Sometimes I get tired of reading page after page of posts and it ends up just being theoretical wind dip and air pudding it you know what I mean. Figured there might be some others out there that like to see the tests, trials, tribulations and end results of experiments. All the mods that I have made to this car are someone else's ideas. Variable cam timing for instance has patents going back to the 40's, maybe even some before that. I always wondered why someone hadn't tried it on Chryslers 4 cylinder engines so I decided to give it a try before I get to old lol. Also I'm not one to try and hide what has been done to my car, maybe someone else will get an idea and improve on it. To me its what makes the hobby of modifying a car so much fun.

Yeah, I'm with you on that here. I like visuals lol
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

I added the power outlet in the hatch to power up the compressor and bottle heater.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are some more pics of the nearly finished engine bay. VCT is functional and is wired into the methanol system. Both now activate at higher rpms when the boost goes over 13 pounds. VCT solenoid is right in front of the oil dipstick. Relays and red fuse holders are left over parts from some of the remote starter kits I installed this past fall. These power up everything I have added to the car so there really is no extra load on the ignition switch. A/C is very cold so that should also help the water to air intercooler and at the same time help the engine run cooler.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold so I could get some back pressure readings. It was as I feared, the back pressure with the .48 housing is way too high. At 12 psi and below the back pressure is pretty much equal to the boost pressure within a pound or two. However, once you go past 15 psi the back pressure skyrockets. At 20 psi boost I'm seeing 45 psi of back pressure. I want to make a video of a few pulls then I'm going to change the turbine housing to the .63 and see just how much of an improvement that makes.

.63A/R turbine housing will help out with back pressure for sure to a point as well as reduced spoolup. An update in turbine technology will take it further (clipped 76p trim or F1 wheels) and you can keep the .48A/R turbine housing for response and lower back pressure.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Future plans (maybe this winter) include an aftermarket exhaust manifold. Turbos Unleashed are going to reproduce their stepped design high flow exhaust manifold for the first gen Chrysler 4 cylinder turbo engines. I got in on the group buy and they are now cast and awaiting machining. I've been thinking about upgrading the turbo when I do that since the head has to come off and it will be easier to change everything over then. Right now the turbo goes into boost so early with the .48 housing that I have full boost by 3400 rpm which is about where my max torque is. This causes a few problems that having full boost later would help alleviate I think. One, my engine detonates the most at full boost and 3200 to 3600 rpm. My timing curve has to have a big dip in it through that range under full boost to take it out. If I hold the boost down below 12 psi then I can run a nice straight advance curve right on up. With advanced timing the car pulls nearly the same at that 6 psi lower boost level and its stressing my intercooler less. Two, with the boost coming on so early the car will break the tires loose if you are not exactly right on the take off. Its like hitting the nitrous when the boost ramps up so fast. Again I have to open the wastegate early and ramp the boost up slowly to reduce wheel spin. I'm hoping that going to a bigger turbine housing will slow the spool enough to take care of both problems and help out top end breathing at the same time. The .48 housing goes down to a hole the size of a nickel. At 18 psi of boost I'm forcing the exhaust equivalent of a 340 cubic inch engine through that hole. It just seems that I should game some top end hp by forcing all that exhaust through a quarter sized hole instead lol.

I made a tool that I can stick in my ash tray and video tape to get a base line of the back pressure vs boost. I added a tach to it so it will be in the video too for comparison.

[IMG][/IMG]

sweet...what kind of line will you use to connect the fitting on the log to the gauge?

looks like a barb connection at the gauges but i think any kind of hose wouldn't hold up to the heat.
    -John

I don't know how he plans on doing it but when logging the backpressure on the Buick I used a 4' brake line adapted to a O2 sensor block off plug then ran rubber line off of the brake line to the gauge. Majority of Heat stays in the metal line and then the gauge don't get fried with too hot of exhaust gases.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    sweet...what kind of line will you use to connect the fitting on the log to the gauge?
    looks like a barb connection at the gauges but i think any kind of hose wouldn't hold up to the heat.
    I used a 30 inch piece of brake line which I coiled around a 1/2 inch extension. It ended up less than 6 inches long. Since there is no real flow through the line its just compressing the air that's already in the line and hose. Also the coil cools it enough so it doesn't burn the high grade hose I'm using going into the car.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtecoldschool View Post
    I don't know how he plans on doing it but when logging the backpressure on the Buick I used a 4' brake line adapted to a O2 sensor block off plug then ran rubber line off of the brake line to the gauge. Majority of Heat stays in the metal line and then the gauge don't get fried with too hot of exhaust gases.
    Wow, some minds really do think alike!

[IMG][/IMG]

The guys at work have been after me since I got the Omni to put a set of black wheels on it. I needed some wider wheels to mount the 225/50R15 drag radials on also. My boss had an old set of 15x6.5's off a late 80's model Shelby Daytona and he gave me a great deal on them. They were a little beat up so I bead blasted them and gave them a quick coat of black and cleared them. Now my only problem is getting a couple of tires for the rear. It seems that 225/50R15's went out of style about 10 years ago. Only a very few companies even list them and usually don't have any stock. I have had them on order at three different places for over a month. Looks like Summit Racing will finally come through with a set for 100 dollars each. Hopefully in time for the flds this weekend.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Moved to the main members' rides section. Free bump.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Finally got around to making a vibration damper for the vct system. Like usual its just a few things I found laying around at the shop. It's pretty much smoothed out the operation of the phaser, good thing too since I'm out of room at that end of the engine.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have everything mounted on the rear now. I just need to tweak it a little but that can wait till I get started on the body work. A couple of people that have followed the car say it looks pretty wild going down the road. I got the license cover a little too dark so I will have to redo that right away.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Three pics of the 225/50R15 tires on the car now with 6.5 Shelby wheels.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ive been working on a new cal revision to better match the cam phaser as its effectively given me about an extra 1000 rpm in my powerband. I also have installed an exhaust system with a catalytic convertor and a fully baffled muffler. Since I didn't want all the heat back near my A/C condenser I made a turn out just in front of the left rear tire. Its so quiet that I can actually leave it running when I go through a drive thru and enjoy my ice cold A/C while Im waiting on my order.

sweet...can't wait to see the dyno and track results.

Great ingenuity.
    -John

Video tells the sad story of a turbine housing that's too small.

Data logging a 30 year old car.

[IMG][/IMG]

You have it all in there, are you monitoring tire pressure too? Lol
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4