Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo build

Default Re: 85 GLH Turbo build

Quote Originally Posted by weaponR View Post
    awesome thread, very crafty fabrication. love the intercooler
    Thanks!

I wondered if my iphone could capture a video of my vct while a timing light was flashing so a person could see the timing marks move. It did actually work somewhat. I should have unhooked the coolant temp sensor to hold the ignition timing still but even with it moving you can tell the system does move the cam timing while the engine is running. The car has been buried under two feet of snow for over a month and its finally melted down enough that I could get it into the shop this evening. I did some measurements for relocating the a/c condenser to the rear of the car. This will get rid of a lot of heat in the engine compartment and reduce the load on the radiator. If the weather permits I want to get the vct system ready for testing and the condenser moved by the end of April. I can't hardly wait!

I can't wait to see a video of this monster!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

This is the definition of a build thread. Good show sir!
    2012 ZL1

Roto fab cai
    10% lower pulley (10psi)
    catless
    canned tune
    11.04@ 128. on Hoosier dr's and skinnies
    1100 DA @ PRP

Quote Originally Posted by RGL10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by weaponR View Post
    awesome thread, very crafty fabrication. love the intercooler
    Thanks!

I wondered if my iphone could capture a video of my vct while a timing light was flashing so a person could see the timing marks move. It did actually work somewhat. I should have unhooked the coolant temp sensor to hold the ignition timing still but even with it moving you can tell the system does move the cam timing while the engine is running. The car has been buried under two feet of snow for over a month and its finally melted down enough that I could get it into the shop this evening. I did some measurements for relocating the a/c condenser to the rear of the car. This will get rid of a lot of heat in the engine compartment and reduce the load on the radiator. If the weather permits I want to get the vct system ready for testing and the condenser moved by the end of April. I can't hardly wait!

That's cool... video freaked my cat out though lol

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout
    I was the least gay ford guy

Lol so now you will play it often.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

As needed lol

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout
    I was the least gay ford guy

↑↑↑ why do I have this vision in my head now

"Mr. Kitty Whiskers you better not dig my potted plant again, or daddy is going to play that video you hate!"
    2012 ZL1

Roto fab cai
    10% lower pulley (10psi)
    catless
    canned tune
    1100 DA @ PRP

cam99 -

Roto fab cai
    10% lower pulley (10psi)
    catless (and now we know why)
    canned tune
    1100 DA @ PRP

Anyhow back to my build. Starting to get some stuff gathered up for to move the a/c condenser to the rear of the car. I bought two new Chrysler minivan auxiliary a/c condensers. These come on 96 to 98 vans that had rear air. They sit right in front of the full sized condensers to add extra cooling for these two unit vans. They are parallel flow units and measure 5x30 inches. Two together have 300 square inches of cooling area. The original Omni condenser had about 260 sq. in. Also parallel flow units are supposed to be 25 to 33 percent more efficient at the same size. I believe I can bolt both units together and get them tucked up under the back of the car. I also got some of the hoses and fittings from a salvaged minivan to hook up to the new condensers. Probably going to run some copper line from the front to the rear to keep costs down. The condensers are only 19.95 with free shipping on ebay so you can't hardly beat that even with used units. I also have some wild plans for a speed activated scoop that can drop down for increased airflow when needed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by RGL10; 02-27-2014 at 09:33 PM.

The last few days I've started working on the mount panel for the a/c condenser relocation. Its going to take a fairly big hole in the rear valance panel for it to fit but it will be under the bumper so I can always replace the sheet metal if the project doesn't work out like I hope. I've got to get some bushings that will fit but I used a piece of hose cut into small sections to space the two units apart for now. The cooling fans will be added when the finally get here and I still think I will put a scoop on it that will drop down when the vehicle is at speed to give the fans a rest.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally got the four fans in that will cool the condensers. With a total of 6200 cfm I thought it would be good to know how much thrust the fans put out (you know every little bit helps) but the mathematical equations were too tough for me lol. [IMG][/IMG]

I'm going to have to double up on the work time to get the Omni ready since dyno day is less than 5 weeks away. Yesterday I broke out the air saw and went to work on the back end. It's not a pretty sight right now but there will be a rear mounted condenser in there soon!

love this build
    2012 ZL1

Roto fab cai
    10% lower pulley (10psi)
    catless
    canned tune
    1100 DA @ PRP

^ yup. definitely

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

I can post again, thanks for fixing it. Pictures won't work though from photobucket when I use insert image but if I put the link in the popup box then copy the link from the box and paste it directly in the post box I can get the picture to show up. Not a big problem anyways.

You got it fixed. Thanks! Now if you could help me get my home made vct control system hooked up and tuned and my rear a/c condenser installed I could take it easier over the next few weeks lol!

Now we are past the point of no return.

Trial fit of the fan and condenser system. Looks like the exhaust is going to have to exit in front of the left rear tire. The condensers should have plenty of air flow with the fans alone but I will add an active scoop that will drop down at cruising speeds so the fans won't have to run all the time. I also plan to add some ground effects around the bottom to mold the assembly in. Right now I'm just going to concentrate on getting the car back on the road before the end of April. I hate putting weight on the back of the car but this thing doesn't weigh much at all. Its mostly aluminum and plastic. [IMG][/IMG]

Finally got all the extra parts I need gathered up to finish the home made variable cam timing system. I am going to tee into the block where my oil pressure unit goes. While I'm at it I am going to add an oil cooler. Long story behind this particular cooler but the short of it is I bought this cooler back in 86 to put on this car and never did. Its laid on a shelf gathering dust in my garage all these years. Now I'm finally going to use it. I ordered it from Chrysler for an 86 Dodge Diplomat police car. It has the valve on top that restricts oil flow below 50 psi. That way when the engine is idling or at low rpm and the oil pressure is lower you don't have a big pressure loss from oil going through the cooler and into the pan. The hoses are grease gun hoses lol. They are rated for 3000 psi and 6 of them only cost 18 dollars total on ebay. Its been tough since I'm working on two major projects at once but hopefully it will all come together in the next 3 weeks or so. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Condenser unit is pretty much done. I have plans to get in on the car in the next week or so. Video might be a little loud at the end so watch your sound volume!
    Last edited by RGL10; 03-29-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Hopefully these will help in the traction department. [IMG][/IMG]

Looking good I have never tried the BFG Drag Radials you have to let us know how well they work.

I love those 2.2 litre engines with the turbo. My father had one in a 87 Dodge Lancer and it ran pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    Looking good I have never tried the BFG Drag Radials you have to let us know how well they work.
    I bought these specifically to take to the flds either in May or June. I will do some prerace testing though to see how they do.

Switched back to working on the vct system since some more parts came in for it. Being as I had pulled the condenser and radiator out for the rear condenser conversion I had all kinds of room to work on the vct system.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I am going to try to actuate the small cylinder with oil pressure and see how that works. I've changed my mind about this a few times over the winter. At first I wanted to use oil pressure. Then I thought about using air pressure and I even considered using an electric motor to move the cam timing. However I ran into some problems with the last two. Air seemed to be safe enough but I found out that with a one inch bore on the piston it was going to take more than my max boost psi to move it against a spring strong enough to return the piston and hold the belt tight at low rpms. Electric motors I found were strong enough but moved too slowly. For this to work it needs to be nearly instantaneous. Even two or three seconds would be two slow for a nitrous take off. First gear only lasts about 3 or 4 seconds all together and if the cam does not retard above 4000 then the power really dies off. So I came back to the oil pressure idea.

I started off by drilling a .060 hole in a small bolt. I then threaded a 2 inch long pipe nipple on the inside and screwed the bolt into it. This will be put into the hole in my oil block where my idiot light switch was originally.

[IMG][/IMG]

I did this for a reason. If my system develops a big oil leak it can only flow out as much as can go through a .060 hole. At least this will buy me some time. On top of this nipple I put a shut off valve. I can turn the system off anytime I need to like for example if it develops a leak. On top of the valve I put a tee. On one side I reinstalled my idiot light switch. If a line breaks the low oil pressure light will come on even though my oil pressure gauge still reads oil pressure. A very small leak will not be detected by this setup but a big (read dangerous) oil leak will. I also added a brace over to the water pipe so that vibration would not break the stainless nipple off the oil sending unit block.

[IMG][/IMG]

Behind this I drilled the engine block into the oil drain back passage. This will be to return oil back to the engine from the hydraulic actuator when the cam is advanced again after a retard cycle.

[IMG][/IMG]

I received a new three way valve to put into the system. I made a bracket to mount the valve to the thermostat housing. If you look closely you can see its a ford hood safety release lever cut and drilled for a perfect fit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is mounted up temporarily to get the lines and hoses fitted up. I still need a few adapter fittings then the whole thing will get a coat of paint and be installed. After a little wiring this system will be fully functional and ready for some daily driving and testing.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by RGL10; 04-04-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Finally back to working on the Omni. Had to make an adapter to connect the copper lines from the rear condenser to the hoses on the a/c compressor. I used an old H-valve and cut it in half. I drilled out the holes and threaded them to 3/8 pipe fittings then I filed the fittings flat to the face. I used a hole saw and a spacer to cut some grooves to hold O-rings. I then silver soldered that adapter to the copper lines and bolted it back in the original area where the factory condenser was.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]