Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo build

Default Re: 85 GLH Turbo build

From what Iv'e read the max torque and max hp really doesn't go up but both ends of the power band usually do a little. Here is a graph that I found that compares a single cam engine with and without a vvt system. With nitrous I have no problem with the low rpm torque but without it my engine like most 4 cylinders can stand the help and since my power band drops off so early I hope that retarding the cam above 4000 rpm will help that out a little also.

[IMG][/IMG]

Got the studs welded on the side rail and the carrier is bolted together. Cut the motor mount bracket to hold the unit. Laid it all out to see how it might fit. Since I was fresh out of bubblegum I had to use some left over yellow tape from a bulldog security remote starter kit to hold it together. Used my bosses turbo motor in the back storage room for a guinea pig. Got a rough idea of how much room the mechanism will take up. I have to wait till after the 9th of Dec to get the car in the shop so I can't really do any more till then.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a picture from the engine install and you can see where the motor mount bracked sits. Nice and easy to get to..... after the a/c compressor, mount bracket, hoses, dryer etc are removed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally got back to working on the car for a few upgrades this winter. The first thing I will do is get the vct system installed. If the weather permits I will try to rough tune the cam timing in, if not then I will just lock the cam straight up and do it in the spring. I also bought a .63 a/r exhaust housing for the turbo I'm running now to replace the .48 on the car. I want to do some exhaust pressure tests before I change it out just to see how much of a difference the bigger housing makes. This past weekend I removed the a/c system under the hood to get some room to work. I decided to make a heavier pivot type system for the cam timing unit instead of using the drawer slide. I hate to put this much effort into something I know will fail, probably at the worst time too. Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

Removed this as one assembly.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now I can actually get to the front of the motor.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Cut up an old idler pulley to make the pivot from and gathered up a few other old parts laying around the shop. A little cutting here and a little welding there....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Bolted the mount bracket to the motor and put the idlers in place. Cut an upright and tacked it in then added more bracing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Kinda looks like Frankenstein's monster at this point but nothing some grinding and paint can't cover up later.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The next pics show the range of motion front to back or cam retard when its forward and cam advance when its back. Its about three times more than I need to get the 10 degrees or so I'm after.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I think your crazy... lol but I like it.. and can't wait to see the results!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Definitely an interesting build. I like it too.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stevec5ws6 View Post
    I think your crazy... lol but I like it.. and can't wait to see the results!
    I think that is the best compliment that anyone has ever given me! You know you have to have a screw or two loose to hot rod an old omni but its what I like to do and hopefully this spring I can get it up to my goal of 300 wheel horsepower.

We'll have to have a 300hp party. Lol

RNA Team #217
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)

www.elzaperformance.com

The guys at work said they want to have a party too. One is building a Camaro and the other has a Mustang and they said they want to roast the Omni, doesn't sound like to much fun to me.

Yeah, 300hp omni beating a camaro and a mustang sounds a lot more fun than the other way around

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Omni beating a v8... Heroic comes to mind...

Ford Focus ZX3 - Pitch Bllack
    Koni Yellow shocks/ struts, Eibach Sportline springs, (Steeda 24mm front & H&R 28mm rear) Anti-sways, Cone filter, lunchbox delete, Massive UDP, MSD coilpack, Massive lower engine mount

At least when you drive an Omni there are not too many things on that road that can embarrass you. This past summer I was trying to get the V8 guys at work to run me. It just never seemed to work out. I kept saying its a shame that a 4 cylinder can't even pick a race with a V8 and I must have finally struck a nerve. One of them tells me its like a kindergartener picking a fight with a 12th grader. No mater what the outcome the 12th grader won't win. One outcome is bad and the other is much worse lol.

Here is a short video on the progress of the vct system. Crank was moving a little along with the cam but it looks like I've got it regulated to 10 degrees cam timing or 20 degrees total crank timing. Should be plenty enough to make a difference. Now I have to take everything back off and add some bracing and weld it up. Then it will get bead blasted and painted and put back on hopefully for the last time.

Last edited by RGL10; 12-22-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Removed all the modified parts and added some bracing and paint. Here is what the whole deal looks like. Kinda rough looking but its functional and cheap. Total cost is less than 100 dollars.

[IMG][/IMG]

Installed everything and put a piece of rubber hose on the cylinder to lock the timing to the full advanced mode so I could drive it in and out of the shop. Here is a short video showing the first start with the unit bolted up.

Unfortunately it sounds way too much like a 5.4 Ford truck motor with a bad cam phaser, something I will rectify the next time I work on it with a vibration damper. Then I will go about hooking up the control system and hopefully get it all lined out by the time the weather gets nice so we can see if this makes any difference at all on an old turbo motor.

sweet!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...l/76536/page1/
    Your presence is requested... Come sign up!!!

- - - Updated - - -

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/what-an-idea-diy-timing-control/76536/page1/
    Your presence is requested... Come sign up!!!

Man, I have to say, you know your stuff. I cant wait to see this car in action and another dyno sheet. Great work!!

I dunno what turbo you have on that beast, but I have a GT2871R Ballbearing turbo I can't use. Its got a T3 compressor wheel, Id let it go cheap (150 dollhairs for you) to see it go to good use. it would need a different exhaust housing but should be great on that Turbo 2. Let me know if your interested

I dunno what turbo you have on that beast, but I have a GT2871R Ballbearing turbo I can't use. Its got a T3 compressor wheel, Id let it go cheap (150 dollhairs for you) to see it go to good use. it would need a different exhaust housing but should be great on that Turbo 2. Let me know if your interested

I would definitely be interested in the turbo. Do you know if the exhaust housings will interchange with the original Chrysler Garrett t3 turbos?

Well I have a hold on it til Friday so if the guy s doesn't come its yours. I honestly don't think I would, but I found ATP has the correct housings for it to bolt to a T3 flange.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I have a hold on it til Friday so if the guy s doesn't come its yours. I honestly don't think I would, but I found ATP has the correct housings for it to bolt to a T3 flange.

Nice Work!

Your thread popped up on the other TD forum www.turbo-mopar.com

Here's a link to that thread http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...e-Valve-timing!

I'm sure everyone on that site would appreciate your contributions to the 2.2/2.5 on that site as well.

While I'm waiting for the weather to get better I thought I would try to make a spare socketed computer for my car. It was a little tougher than I thought to remove the factory chip. Here are some pics of my progress so far.

[IMG][/IMG]

Held up to a light to check to see if all the holes are clean.

[IMG][/IMG]

turbo is still available. I'm off tomorrow and can run it over to Cowen if you like.

Bad weather has really slowed me down for the last month but I did get my computer socketed. I think I will build a special case for it so I can change out the chip quicker. That way I can program several chips and change them on one test drive to get back to back comparisons.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also started working on my .63 a/r turbine housing. I want to run back pressure tests on the .48 I'm running now and then change to the .63 just to get some concrete data on the difference between the two. Next winter I will probably upgrade to the GT2871R I bought off of dansxr2 and go with an aftermarket exhaust manifold at the same time. But for the time being I'm still shooting for 300 hp and 350 tq with an internally stock 2.5 Dodge motor. All this in a 2600 lb daily driver should make for a fun summer!

The inside of a Garrett turbine housing is really rough.

[IMG][/IMG]

Seeing that I'm cramming the exhaust equivalent of a small block V8 though a hole the size of a quarter, I thought it ought to be as smooth as possible. I made some tools to help me prep the inside of the turbine housing.

[IMG][/IMG]

I took an aftermarket throttle cable and used the outside housing with some taped on 36 grit paper for final sanding. I took the inner cable and a small grinder stone, cut the shaft off the stone and drilled the center of the part that was left and epoxied the cable in. Does good on the sides since they narrow down so much. Used a vacuum line on the bigger white stone and it does fine through the middle. None of these cut very fast on a drill which is good since I don't really want to remove anything more than the rough cast surface. This will keep me busy at lunch time till the weather gets better I think then its back to the vct system!

[IMG][/IMG]

awesome thread, very crafty fabrication. love the intercooler
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/weaponR_91si/insight/DSCN1589-1-1.jpg
    and now you know...