Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH Turbo build

Default Re: 85 GLH Turbo build

Earlier in the year I was trying to get the transmission to shift at the right rpm without me having to manually shift it. I made a mod to the valve body to raise the line pressure. Here is what happens when you get it too high. It blew the end of the rear clutch drum completely off. You can see it pushed the piston all the way out and the seal blew also. Now I have a fitting on the front of the transmission I can quick connect a gauge to when I make adjustments so I don't have to guess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	413drum2_zps32893c21.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	5261

Drilled and tapped the case and put in an extension and fitting to measure line pressure. Now I can use a fuel pressure gauge or an old R12 a/c gauge to check the pressure while I'm adjusting it. I also drilled a hole in the side of the transmission case inline with my pressure regulator valve. I tapped it and put a pipe plug in the hole. When I need to adjust the pressure I can remove the plug and adjust it with an allen bit. No need to pull the trans pan off every time I want to adjust it.

Name:	IC12_zpsaa5cf12c.jpg 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	5262

Turbo's and autos ho hand in hand, unless yout turbo breaks your auto.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

My auto has been broken by my turbo several times lol. This time it seems to be holding up better, I bought a built convertor with brazed fins and a torrington needle bearing instead of a thrust washer. I machined out the hubs to hold 5 clutches in each instead of 4 and I run 50 percent hydraulic tractor fluid and 50 percent atf+4 trans fluid. Probably break tomorrow but so far it has nearly 4000 trouble free miles of 20+ lbs boost and over 40 lbs of nitrous ran against it so I'm happy. Anyhow, over the weekend I rebuilt the rear brake system and here are some pics of that job. Bead blasted all the rust off and painted everything that was not new. Replaced the shoes, wheel cylinders, all springs, wheel bearings, seals and drums.

Name:	Rbrakes1_zps0b81a47c.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	5281

Name:	Rbrakes3_zpsc9479d30.jpg 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	5282

Here is a little mod that keeps dust from building up in drums which makes the brakes grabby and noisey. If you don't drive through water over 6 inches deep on a regular basis this will work fine. Just drill a quarter inch hole through the bottom of the backing plate right at the level of the inside of your drum. As the wheel rolls the dust can work its way out, otherwise it just keeps rolling round and round till you take it apart to clean it out.

Name:	Rbrakes2_zps1e858678.jpg 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	5283

Finished product

Name:	Rbrakes4_zps669e489d.jpg 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	5284

interesting!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Keep the tech coming...

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

This makes me miss my Turbo Coupe...it was a lot of fun building up that 2.3L Turbo and then seeing what it could do!
    '05 Mustang GT 5 speed- Steeda Tri-Ax, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow mids, Aerochamber axle back, FMS P springs, Spohn LCA's & reloc brackets, J&M AL rear panhard bar, C&L Racer CAI, 93R tune, smoked tails & markers
    '09 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4x4. Torsion crank, blocks, 32x11.50 Discoverer STT's on 15x8 AR Baja's, AEM drop-in, dual exhaust
    '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe-sold

I'm seriously thinking about taking the Omni up to Rodeheavers to see what kind of power its making now. My small nitrous tank has not been working right. When I'm using it the car doesn't pull very hard and the wideband shows a richer mixture than when I'm using one of my 10 lb tanks. I decided to pull the valve off and see if there was a restriction or something in it. Here is what I found.

Name:	Nit1_zpse2c5173f.jpg 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	5285

Name:	Nit2_zps49bb3c54.jpg 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	5286

The pickup tube was nearly broken in half right at the top. This let nitrous gas into the line instead of liquid causing me the problems I was having. I'm going to put a new tube in it and that should fix my problem. I guess what caused this was the tank was mounted solid under the hood of my old blue 86 GLH Turbo I had after I sold this black 85. The 86 was a daily driver also and had a few thousand miles put on it back in the early to mid 90's. Vibration must have gotten the best of the pickup tube and cracked it. I will post some more info up about the blue 86 since I bought it back earlier this year as a parts car for the black 85. I raced the 86 several times down at Grandview and Princeton when they both had race tracks.

High line psi can do a lot of damage on transmissions. Those fwd tf trannys rasie the line psi up a bit about two turns if its to high it will make a screeming sound in reverse the governer is where you can alter the shift rpms there are diffrent weights for diffrent applacations u can alter to get the rpm you need make sure that trans is cleaned out very well or it will stick the governer
    JPrice

Another common mod to these 2.5 engines is to remove the balance shafts. These engines vibrate at low rpms so Chrysler put in a set of weighted shafts that turn TWICE the speed of the crank to dampen the vibrations. Turning these steel shafts at upwards of 12,000 rpm takes about 8 percent of the total stock engine power or 12 hp. Also they weigh about 20 lbs and have to be removed to change rod bearings etc. I have removed several of these assemblies and was never bothered by the extra vibration, its not that bad. This is what the unit looks like.

Name:	Bal1_zps046afa81.jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	5300

When this is removed all you have to do it plug the oil feed hole for the balancer. Many people tap the hole and thread in a plug. Since it is right beside one of the bolt holes that holds the balance shaft assembly on I just put a short bolt back in the hole with a washer on it that covers the oil feed hole and use some red loctite 271 to keep it there.

Name:	BlockedBSoil1_zpsb8002268.jpg 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	5301

A side effect to this mod is that you gain a quart of oil capacity in the oil pan. This is great till you decide to take off really quick then all 6 quarts of oil runs up the back of the pan and into your pistons and crank causing oil foaming and horse power loss from windage. I added a small baffle to the back side of the pan to prevent this from happening. I placed the front lip of the baffle less than a quarter of an inch from the crank weights and rod caps to help scrape the excess oil spinning around in there back into the bottom of the pan. On a road race car a more complete baffle would be needed to cut down on oil slosh from side to side and when stopping quickly but since I'm most interested in going fast straight ahead I just put it at the back only.

Name:	Oilpan3_zps48bf985b.jpg 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	5302

Great thread and nice work
    -John

Looking good dude.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Thanks guys! Looking forward to dyno day at Rodeheavers, maybe get to meet some of you there.

This is the video of the blue 86 GLH I built after I sold the black 85. I ran a 2.2 turbo motor in it with the 50 hp nitrous kit I have on the black one now. My best time was against this Mustang. He had a 5.0 with a catless exhaust and 125 hp nitrous kit. It was a 5 speed car with 4.10 gears and 11 inch slicks. He ran a 7.90 against my 7.65 at 93 mph at Grandview back about 96.

That's pretty cool. I remember all the videos long ago of the dodge vans beating the mustangs and such with those little turbo engines.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

Awesome, as I have come to expect.

Ford Focus ZX3 - Pitch Bllack
    Koni Yellow shocks/ struts, Eibach Sportline springs, (Steeda 24mm front & H&R 28mm rear) Anti-sways, Cone filter, lunchbox delete, Massive UDP, MSD coilpack, Massive lower engine mount

I have had a couple of people ask me where my battery is at. Originally it was on the drivers side of the engine compartment. One of the problems with these fwd cars is torque steer. Several things cause that, uneven axle length, unbalanced weight from side to side, wheel alignment etc. My car has equal length axles so thats one less problem I have to worry about. Axle length affects the angle of the joints on each side. This in turn changes the leverage that is applied to each tire, one gets more so that tire pulls harder causing torque steer but as I said not a problem on my car. The next big problem is weight from side to side. These cars with a driver only have on the average 200 more lbs on the drivers side which caused the passenger tire to spin more readily. I put everything I could on the passenger side front or at least as close to the middle as I could. The biggest change was moving the 30 pound battery from inside the left front frame rail to the outside of the right front frame rail and forward about a foot. Here are some pics of how I did it.

There was not enough room but the bottom of the fender had some rust so I didn't feel to bad about cutting it off. The from air dam covers it anyhow.

[IMG][/IMG]

I welded up a battery tray and bolted it to the frame rail.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was a tight fit but it worked.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pop out the right front park light and the negative battery post is right there.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is what I've been working on the last few days. My car doesn't make the horsepower I was hoping for but the torque looked good so I thought I would make a few changes to help it breath better on top end. The exhaust outlet on my turbo was a little small so I made a bigger one. There are big aftermarket ones made for these turbos but they usually start out at 150.00 used and go up from there. I made mine from two old housings for less than 20 bucks. I took one like mine and cut off the flange that bolts it to the turbo. I took another one that came on 89 up 2.5 Chrysler turbos made be Mitsubushi and ground off the mounting lugs on it. I don't pretend to understand automotive engineers but here is what they did. 84 through 89 Chrysler turbos used Garretts. They were decent sized turbos for the 2.2 engine. Then in 89 they began building 2.5 turbo engines and put a SMALLER Mitsubishi turbo on them. The turbo was smaller but the exhaust housing was larger. Makes little sense to me. Anyhow I took the best of both and welded them together. Now I have a high flowing swing valve for my car which should give it a few more ponies.

Here are some pictures of the operation. Mitsubishi on the top and Garrett on the bottom.

[IMG][/IMG]

Both housings cut apart

[IMG][/IMG]

Taking some rough measurements to see how they would fit together.

[IMG][/IMG]

Watched a few youtube videos on how to weld cast iron lol. Preheated it with a torch till it was slightly red then welded it one inch at a time at four different places and kept working my way around. Bought 50lbs of play sand and buried the housing in a steel bucked filled with the sand all night. Didn't crack at all!

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm a firm believer in the saying "A grinder and some paint make a welder what he ain't".

[IMG][/IMG]

Business end of the housing looks like it can do the job! The total outlet area on the small housing is 5 square inches. The larger one is 9 square inches.

[IMG][/IMG]

Figured I would add my dyno sheet to this post even though I already posted it in the Rodeheavers one. Something that makes me feel a little better about the low hp reading I got was this week Dave, one of the guys at work, wanted to take a ride after I changed the exhaust adapter. He also talked me into changing the nitrous jets out for a 100 shot set. I had put in a 38 nitrous jet and a 17 fuel jet before I went to Rodeheavers. When Tim was running the car on the dyno I had him purge the system. I just hold the engine over 2000 and hit the purge button. It normally revs the motor a few hundred rpms when the line is purged. He said he didn't think it was working but I told him it was since the light was coming on over the nitrous switch even though the engine didn't change rpm very much. Well Dave takes the jets out and asks me why I had a 28 and a 17 in. I said no its a 38 and 17. Truth be told my eyesight has been going down hill and sure enough it was a 28. I probably should have paid attention to my wideband. 850 bottle pressure and 80 lbs fuel pressure need about a 38 and 17 according to the calculator I use. I'm suprised the car even made any more power with the nitrous on. Might be part of the reason the curves drop off at higher rpms. Needless to say I'm looking forward to going up again the next time he has a dyno day.

[IMG][/IMG]

Good stuff, I like the update you did with the swing valve outlet elbow I hope it holds up. I'd like to see you install a newer updated tech turbocharger. The engine's massflow potential is there to go beyond a stocker. Something like I run in my turbo Buick (60-1 with a t350 or 76p trim turbine) would support enough massflow on your engine and work well since like me you dont mind running higher boost pressure. Very cool and different
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

I agree 100 percent. I got comfortable working with the garrett t3s years ago and its really past time to move on with all the choices available today. I might wait till spring and try the dyno one more time. I was hoping to hit 300hp to the tires and I still think I can with enough nitrous. In the next week or so I'm going to tap the exhaust manifold and see what kind of pressure it has under 20 psi boost and a 100 shot. The turbine inlet pressure might scare me enough though to go ahead and upgrade the turbo this winter lol.

Started on another project this past week that I've wanted to try for years. There is a lot of information on various Dodge forums about putting a variable cam timing system on 2.2 and 2.5 Chrysler four cylinders but from what I can find no one has actually done it. Over the next couple of months I'm going to build one and see if it can be made to work of if there is a reason why no one has successfully done it already. I think I will use a twin roller design and after removing the timing belt tensioner use the extra slack to advance the cam at low rpms and retard it at higher ones. I was having a hard time trying to explain how this might work on another forum I'm on so I made a short video that makes it easy to see my idea in action. Just this small amount of movement gives about 10 degrees of timing movement which is plenty to make a nice long flat power band.

Easily my favorite thread lately on here.
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

Over the last few weeks I've been gathering up parts to do this cam timing project. I wanted to keep this cheap as possible so I shopped ebay for everything I couldn't find in the parts cars and storage rooms at work and home. I bought two timing belt rollers off ebay. Subaru guys might recognize them as they are off of their 2.5 dohc engines, smallest ones I could find right off. The actuator is also off ebay and can withstand 150 psi air or 200 psi liquid which is overkill for my project but it was small and cheap so it fit the bill. The heavy duty drawer roller was given to me by a cabinet company that I repair computers for so I count that as free. Not much to look at but its a good start.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Welded a couple of bolts to the side rails and mounted the rollers in between. Also cut the drawer roller rail down to about 6 inches. I'm going to try to make the whole unit fit into the right side engine mount bracket. This way if anything goes wrong I can just unbolt the mount and put a stock mount in with the factory tensioner and I can be back on the road in about 30 minutes. This is the front motor mount bracket that bolts under the camshaft and behind the timing belt.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the rollers with the side rails.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The guys at work are taking bets on how long the drawer rail will last lol. I know this is the weak link in the project but I feel certain it will last long enough for me to find out if putting a vct system on these motors is worth it. I think if I can get 15 ft pounds of torque on the bottom end and 15 hp on the top it will be worth making a stronger setup later on. If it can't do that then its not really worth the extra hassle to even have it on the engine in my opinion.

very interesting... i don't know how long it will last.... or how much gain you will get it's generally a fairly small percentage, but that's the VVT in the LS3 which is about all i have dealt with.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable