Thread: Focus trouble shooting thread

Default Focus trouble shooting thread

Ok, started talking about this in the other thread. Thought it should have its own thread.

2003 ford focus zx3 2.0 zetec.
    Started running rough at some point on my drive home. Not sure when because of a tire outof balance. Car feels like it is missing and has no powa.

Pulled the plug wires. Cylinder 1&2 had water sitting on them. Cleared the water and changed the plugs. Applied plug/boot grease (dunno what it's called) still running the same.

Ford Focus ZX3 - Pitch Bllack
    Koni Yellow shocks/ struts, Eibach Sportline springs, (Steeda 24mm front & H&R 28mm rear) Anti-sways, Cone filter, lunchbox delete, Massive UDP, MSD coilpack, Massive lower engine mount

Default Re: Focus trouble shooting thread

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout View Post
    compression test frist thing I do..

Thats just my luck when its bad it real bad.. Car have coil packs? distributor?
    Coil pack. I am telling ya it's almost 95% of the time a bad coil pack. They like to crack. It is a known issue with the Foci.

224hp/280tq | 17lbs of boost | Neuspeed P-Flow Intake | Replacement Forge DV | EuroJet Boost Gauge
    "And remember kids, procrastination is like masturbation: in the end, you're just screwing yourself."

Double post.
    Last edited by templar; 11-19-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Koni Yellow shocks/ struts, Eibach Sportline springs, (Steeda 24mm front & H&R 28mm rear) Anti-sways, Cone filter, lunchbox delete, Massive UDP, MSD coilpack, Massive lower engine mount

Where do they crack?
    What do I need to test compression?
    Checked wires in dark. Definitely see sparks.

Well start there with the wires. Cheapos from advance work just fine.

224hp/280tq | 17lbs of boost | Neuspeed P-Flow Intake | Replacement Forge DV | EuroJet Boost Gauge
    "And remember kids, procrastination is like masturbation: in the end, you're just screwing yourself."

Order them from advance online with a coupon code and pick up in store to save a few bucks.
    '14 WRX
    I miss fast cars and fast women.

Here are a list of things to check like I did before I found out it was my fuel pump going out. And yes a loss of power and sluggishness is a sign of your fuel pump going out (mine went out at about 120K) if you need help dont hesitate to give me a text I got a zetec too and have replaced about every possible part that goes bad, which arent toooo many lol 304-841-5142

Check your wires on the coil pack
    The iginition wires that go to the coil pack can crack and cause a problem with transmitting spark to the coil pack. here is a pic of what you need to check out. If a wire is exposed replace it with a 30$ pigtail kit from ford, includes shrink tubes as well!! a Great package deal. This is usually the case of the ignition problem. Coil packs on zetecs dont go bad fast.
    ford-pigtail-harness-for-ignition-coil-pack-focus-zetec-svt-00-04-365x506.jpg

IMG_4106.jpg

Check your Fuel filter (needs changed about every 30K to stay on the safe side its easy here is a link to the if it feels like a brick replace it, and see how much of a difference a new one feels how-to -----> )

Check your fuel pump
    When everything else fails to fix the problem it all points to the fuel pump.. Drop the gas tank and have fun removing the old pump and replacing with a new one. We did it and it fixed my problem where I couldn't even go past 4K RPM because the fuel pressure backed off so far.

Do a fuel pressure test first check for spark and vacuum lines. Visual inspection is always the first thing to do. Don't waste money on things that don't need replaced. Also the best tool to have is a repair manual because no-one is a expert when it comes to fixing a vehicle. If you say your are your wrong.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2