Thread: I need some advice on car cleaning products

parsons wv

Default I need some advice on car cleaning products

Hi guys,

I am going to enter my car in a car show and I have never done this before.
    As most of you know I keep my cars clean within reason ($2.00 spray wash)
    But I realize that for a show I will need to do some serious cleaning and detailing.
    I was asking around at the Rosebud plaza and I was told that the best cleaning and drying
    towels are the Microfiber cleaning towels. so I went to Walmart and picked some up. I figured
    while I was there I would get what I needed for the tires ,interior ,Glass cleaner ,And so on.
    Damn,,, There sure is a lot of different stuff for cleaning. What brand name stuff you get for
    detailing your cars? What works the best? Any Advice would be appreciated
    Just pull the trigger and let it go,, This will work trust me. But,,you may want wear safety glasses

weston wv

Default Re: I need some advice on car cleaning products

you could always cut and buff the paint but its alot of work and if you do that i suggest the mothers clay bar kit for the claybarring and 3m med and light duty compound for buffing then whichever wax you like i like meguiars. wheels use whatever you like to make em clean. as for interior stuff im sure yours is in good shape so no use for the carpet cleaning stuff and such im sure. under hood get it good and clean with whichever products you like then i always heard use wd40 to make it shine. as far as which interior products to use for shine i have used this stuff called dress all but its slick and some ppl dont like the smell plus it attracts dust in a day or 2 but for the show it would shine awesome. and as for your leather seats i would use i think its called lexol use the cleaner then the conditioner i know it makes them slick and u dont like that but it keeps them nice and they look alot better when done. just me 2 cents.
    97 honda civic ek hatchback swapped f22a1
    87.5 audi coupe gt special build up on blocks

official shcc member

Clarksburg, WV

Meguires Gold Class carwash is a good soap to use. Dawn dish soap is good if you are wanting to strip off all the wax that is currently on the car to start fresh. The Meguires is wax safe though. I'm with Roger. Clean it up good, take it to the show. When you get there, do the windows, wheels, tires and use the quick wax. to touch up since you'll likely pick up some dirt or bugs on the way.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

Nothing beats a good hand wash with 2 buckets. spray off doesn't get everything.. I like to stip all the wax, and claybar the car and buff if needed once a year. Having a black car makes life tough since I live next to a stone base road and federal highway there is always dirt in the air.

Mcguires works great i use their ultimate wax and the quick detailer there are a lot of waxes that do a great job, it's all in what you want to spend and how much work you want to put forth.

Kuneff (member here) has wash and wax can hook you up, there aren't very many people I'd trust to touch my car, but he is one. His shop is in fairmont. washing claybaring buffing and waxing a car is hard work.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable