Thread: Valvetrain tapping

Default Valvetrain tapping

I developed a tapping in the valve train after 5 min. run time on my new build. 12:1 heads, 921 springs, Magic Stick III Cam, CTS-V lifters. Because of the labor involved, I am going to install a Melling hi-volume oil pump, Lunati 72532 lifters, and Yellow Terra rocker 6640 adjustable rocker arms.
    So I towed the Camaro up to Performance Auto. George was very helpful un-loading the car, as I had been on the road for 3 hrs. Hope I didn't run too many motorists off the road.
    All comments and suggestions are welcome. I wil try and let you know what is found. thx

Default Re: Valvetrain tapping

Removed the oil pan and didn't find any rocker arms or metal. This is good.

Good luck.

I have to find my missing lifter/roller in my engine.

224hp/280tq | 17lbs of boost | Neuspeed P-Flow Intake | Replacement Forge DV | EuroJet Boost Gauge
    "And remember kids, procrastination is like masturbation: in the end, you're just screwing yourself."

Your in good hands with George. Hope what your adding will fixes your problem..
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

Man that sucks. Hope you get it sorted out soon!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

thanx, I am holding off on the push rods to make sure of the length. I really feel that I have a bad lifter. But I will try to use better parts this time.

Heads removed and going to the shop. Found "blow-bye" on one cylinder and the center bolt on Platinum Yella Terra Rockers is 7/16" as opposed to the standard 3/8". But the real culprit seems to be the lifters. The lifters will be replaced with Lunati 72532 lifters. I am not real knowledgable on cars and have to throw a lot of money at problems rather than search it out. Will keep you posted.

PM sent.

*I wouldn't let Jr. any where near it*

Having Cameron as a site rep is like having a retard as a mascot.

Wish you luck if I ever go bald it will be from trouble shooting!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Icon10 Re: Valvetrain tapping

Thank you PERFORMANCE AUTOMOTIVE, picked up my Camaro today. Rocketman 442 (George) did an excellent job. He also 1. checked drivetrain, 2. shortened rubber boot to the throttlebody for a good fit 3. removed air pump and installed block-off plate 4. cleaned the car along with other things. These things were over and above. The car is running like a Swiss watch.

awesome, so what was the cause of the valve train tapping?
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Most proable was an "OEM oil pump". I tried to cut corners and port an "LS6 OIL PUMP". Plan your build. Because most LS engine work is done removing the engine, I did the rocker arms because my cam exceeded .600 lift and I chose to use the best lifters at this point. I am beginning to learn.
    But thaks to PERFORMANCE AUTOMOTIVE, my 35 spline Wave-trac does not feel like a truck when I put it into gear. They took their time and checked it all out.