Thread: Power Steering Issue?

Default Power Steering Issue?

I've recently been noticing that when I turn my steering wheel that it feels like the tires are gripping the road a little more than usual (mostly at a stop or slow speeds). I chalked it up as having new tires installed within the past couple months. I didn't think much about it, until within the past week. Now when I turn the steering wheel, it's like I'm competing in a strong man competition against my steering wheel. Using common sense, I figured that my power steering had gone out.

So, I've been using Google & some other forums to search for ways to figure this thing out. I've seen posts saying to try flushing the old fluid out, and some saying to check the hoses for leaks, etc. but there aren't any real good instructions on how to do so.

As of right now, the only thing I've had time to do is check to make sure there was at least still fluid in the reservoir, and there is. Which leads me to believe it isn't a leak. I haven't had a chance to check any of the hoses for confirmation, because my engine bay is partially covered and its sometimes hard to get the factory covers off in a short amount of time.

I would like to try and fix it on my own, and I'm hoping it's not a bad power steering pump. Does anyone have any good tips/tricks/advice on power steering troubleshooting/repair? I guess it would help if you knew what type of car I have too: 2006 Hyundai Tiburon GT.

Default Re: Power Steering Issue?

Have you noticed any leaks where the a car has been parked? You say it has fluid but was it full?

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

No, haven't seen any spots where the car is parked. As far as the fluid level, I'll have to double check. I didn't pay attention to how close it was to the max fill line.

It's easy to get the engine cover and other covers off on the tib (i miss mine). Like the others have said check those and the pump also..
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

Have you check to see if there are any TSB's out for it?
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

If your fluid level is good it's probably a bad pump.

May not always be true but pumps tend to make noise when they go bad or low of fluid. Have you heard any unusual noise (whining)?

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll be checking some of these out tonight (hopefully). To answer some of the questions:
    • I haven't seen the battery light come on at all.
    • There hasn't been any noises that I could hear.
    • There are no signs of leaking under the car. I park in the same spot every day at work, and it's a fairly new paved lot with no other stains to get it confused with.
    • I hadn't thought to look for any TSB's, but when I did the only thing I found was a fluid compatibility issue.

Alright, I was able to take a look once I got home. The reservoir was filled in between the Min & Max levels. The belts felt tight, and I didn't feel any crustiness or sponginess in the hoses. I found a section of one of the hoses that may be where the leak is coming from, but I'm not 100% sure. I attached a couple pics below to see if you guys might be able to help me confirm. Excuse the all the dirt & grime...
    PS1_Edited.jpg PS2_edited.jpg

The leaks nothing major. If the fuid level is between the Min and Max you're ok. Describe exactly what is happening again just to be certain. Is it only hard to steer at a dead stop? Does it steer easier as your speed increases? Did it make any whining noises before it started doing this? Have you been putting any fluid in?

I'm leaning towards a faulty pump, but need a little more info.

work the wheels back and forth a little while sitting in a dry spot to make sure it's not squirting or anything. this will put some pressure on it.. if it's just losing pressure fast.. rev the engine up a little even and see if that helps.

do these critters have speed sensitive steering? or anything of the such?
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Bflaker - It's really hard to turn the wheel when I'm at a dead stop. As I start to move and the wheels are rolling, I can turn it easier. Once I get up to speed (5-10mph), I can hardly notice it. Anything above that, and it feels normal. An example is when I'm backing into a parking spot. I'll pull up to line up my car. As I'm slowing down while approaching the spot, you can feel the steering wheel getting harder to turn. Once I stop and begin to turn my wheel to back up, that's when it gets tough. I didn't notice any whining noises anytime before.

RogerStout - I've replaced a few things on my car, but never a hose. Is a hose like that something that needs to be ordered from Hyundai, or would Advanced Auto or some place like that carry them?

Stevec5ws6 - I'll try your suggestion soon. Have to talk the wife into getting behind the wheel for me. It may be this weekend by the time that happens.

Another tid-bit of info on the hose where I noticed what might be a leak. It was covered with sort of a foam wrapping, and it looked like the leak may be up under it somewhere. I tried to roll it back, but it was kinda cramped down in there and I didn't want to rip the wrapping apart.

BTW, I'm glad that the site got moved to another host/server. It's functioning 100x better than it has in the last couple months. Just thought I'd pass along some kudos to all who were involved!

Stevec5ws6 - Forgot your question about the speed sensitive steering. No, it doesn't.

Remove your serpentine belt and try to turn the power steering pulley by hand. Let us know if it spins free or has resistance.