Thread: Exhaust opinions?

Default Exhaust opinions?

Okay, I finally got my car in for an exhaust estimate today. They said it will be about $210 to go from my manifolds to the current exhaust that is on it.
    Right now on my manifolds are just little pieces of rusted y-pipe that came with the manifolds, and that is all thats hooked up.

I am wanting to go with headers eventually, but cant afford them right now, but need to get some type of exhaust on it so I can drive it.

I can get some flex pipe from advance for about $28 for a 6 foot length, and then I would be able to hook that onto the rusted pipes, then to my old exhaust. I could do it all for probably a total of $70-$80.

So my question is, do you think I should do it the correct way, and then have to cut out most of the new exhaust when I get headers. Or should I go the cheap, non-so-correct way that will get me on the road soon and It wont be as much of a loss when it is cut out for headers.
    What would you guys do?

Sorry if this was confusing.
    1973 Dodge Dart Swinger: Garage Queen
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger: Project postponed
    2015 Dodge Dart: 2.slow 6 speed manual No mods.... Yet

$210 just to run pipe? What rip off place did you go to?
    My Buddy just had 2.5" ran from his cat, with a knock off flowmaster for like $100 I think
    - I break things -
    '70 Mach-1 "money pit"

- I break things -
    '70 Mach-1 "money pit"

Default Re: Exhaust opinions?

I got an estimate through valley tire in new martinsville. Its not just like running a straight pipe. Its going to have to be bent and curved in quite a few places. It is a tight fit in the engine bay do to the power steering and torsion bars and such. And also flaired to go on the manifold. I thought it was kind of high to, but its the closest place for me to take the car to get the exhaust done. I dont want to drive very far without exhaust on it.

I know there are some cheap headers, but I cant really afford them right now. Cause when I get them, I wanna get some decent ones because of fitment issues.

I know a guy in clarksburg, Shaun (Larry knows him) that has a duster, and said he said he would sell me an old set of headers for $50. I dont know if he still has them though.

Quote Originally Posted by 73Dart View Post
    I got an estimate through valley tire in new martinsville. Its not just like running a straight pipe. Its going to have to be bent and curved in quite a few places. It is a tight fit in the engine bay do to the power steering and torsion bars and such. And also flaired to go on the manifold. I thought it was kind of high to, but its the closest place for me to take the car to get the exhaust done. I dont want to drive very far without exhaust on it.
    I'm fully aware the process of how exhaust is ran..
    - I break things -
    '70 Mach-1 "money pit"

Quote Originally Posted by Siwel View Post
    I'm fully aware the process of how exhaust is ran..
    I figured that, but I didnt know if you understood what I meant by what I am doing.

I'd save some money up and do it right the first time.
    Those cheap jegs kits actually aren't bad. I bought a 68 Camaro once that came with the kit as well as a bunch of other parts so I used it.
    - I break things -
    '70 Mach-1 "money pit"

I will look into it. Im just thinking about every option I have right now. And trying to get others opinions.
    I just want it a little quiter than what it is now, and so it stops sucking the air back up the exhaust and making it back fire.

You just wanting it able to drive?
    Get headers, reducers for the collector then throw some cheap mufflers on there.

Later when you have the money finish the exhaust.
    - I break things -
    '70 Mach-1 "money pit"

I already have a complete exhaust on it, except about 2 feet from the manifolds to old exhaust. I should get pictures, cause they would help describe it.

Well, I decided to go the cheap route for the time. I only ended up spending $50 for it. Right now I am waiting for a little bit of liquid steel to finish setting up on a opening, then I will be able to start the car and see how it sounds. Probably not good, but it should be a little quieter.

Ok, I'm gonna save the kid here. Mopar a bodiess have no room. The exhaust on this car with a v8 and torsion bars is a major pain in the ass. I would be surprised if your $210 exhaust guy could make those head pipes without them rubbing on the steering somewhere. I'll bet he couldn't do it on the first try.

I would recommend....

The engine is stock, you have a y pipe - right? If so, hook to the y pipe and run single exhaust or split the y pipe if you want duals. This will get you through until you can get a set of proper headers.

Headers-DO NOT buy cheap headers. My definition - If you spend less than $400 bucks for a body headers, they are cheap and will rub the torsion bars and hit the steering guaranteed. I've been there and done that and cut them off with a sawzall and trashed them. Buy Doug's Headers (not Doug Thorley) or TTI only.
    I feel your pain, I'm running a set of Hedman block hugger headers at the moment. They fit fine and I made my own head pipes but, there is not room for proper head pipe size. I want long tubes that fit. I'm planning to upgrade at some point to Doug's headers.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

No y-pipe. Pieces of rusted off y-pipe, yes. They were only about 10 inches long where they had rusted off. I was gonna buy a y-pipe, but it cost $185.00 alone. SO, I just used the rusted pipes, and ran flex pipe to the old exhaust.

Someday, I plan to buy the good headers. But thats a while down the road, and that is one reason I just chose to go the cheap route for now. It works, and will get me by for a while on the cheap. I just need it quieter than what it was, because we got a new cop in town and he pulls everyone over for every little thing. I figured it would be cheaper to just do the exhaust, rather than pay for a ticket and exhaust.

Im hoping my exhaust is out of the way of my steering I havent got to try it yet, but the way it looks I have it cleared but barely. Its a tight fit between the steering, exhaust, and oil filter.