Thread: rebuilding a stock t25 garret turbo

Default rebuilding a stock t25 garret turbo

I have a chance to pick up a t25 pretty cheap but needs rebuilt. Ive fount many how to's on rebuilding one and im sure i could tackle this but im worried about it not being balanced right and fucking something up. Is there anybody that knows how to rebuild turbos correctly and a fair price preferably on the cheap side. Thanks dan
    Last edited by neon98; 02-15-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    Shapeshifters

Default Re: rebuilding a stock t25 garret turbo

I rebuilt my garrett t3 back in the day...it was a nut and bolt job...have to be careful with exhaust side bolts breaking off in teh housing...
    -John

Why does it need rebuilt? Seal of has it touched the housing and need bearrings?

Quote Originally Posted by crazzy448 View Post
    Why does it need rebuilt? Seal of has it touched the housing and need bearrings?
    I would say it needs rebuilt. Shaft has some play but is not touching the housing yet.
    Shapeshifters

Some play does not constitute a rebuild...check the clearance between the wheel and housing...see if you can find a tolerance from Garrett
    -John

I rebuild probably 5-6 turbos per month.... They are quite simple to rebuild..

Just scribe the shaft to the compressor wheel and the lock nut...before you take it apart... then line your mark back up when you put it back together and all will be grand... Use a dab of red loctite on the threads..

If theres wheel damage it will need rebalanced... ... Honestly I think last time i checked on T25 rebuild kits though it was cheaper to buy a used good T25 than it was to rebuild it..

Lastly if you dont want to do it yourself I have a buddy up in pittsburgh, Justin, that does 20-30 a week on the side he does phenomenal work just pm me and i'll get you in contact with him..

Ricky

I think my rebuild kit was $100 for the T3
    -John

Yeah T3 kits are usually pretty cheap if they are small shaft T3... I get holset kits in bulk for ~45-50 dollars a piece for bearings/seals and just under 100 with the seal plates, thrust collars and other good hardware ... T25 kits are usually a bit more from my supplier in the $125 range... where as I can usually get a good t25 for $75 bucks lol