Thread: chevy heater not working

Default chevy heater not working

Im getting really annoyed by this junk.
    On my 95 s10, the heater just suddenly stopped working. It worked fine yesterday, then my brother drove it, and this morning nothing. Its not really the heater thats not working, but I think the fan is shot. I have checked the fuse, and its good because when you turn ac on, it will click. If you turn defrosters on, nothing happens at all. The fan does not turn on at all.
    Any ideas on what the problem is? I really hate scrapping windows in the morning.
    1973 Dodge Dart Swinger: Garage Queen
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger: Project postponed
    2015 Dodge Dart: 2.slow 6 speed manual No mods.... Yet

Default Re: chevy heater not working

Hot air comes out of the vents but the blower motor is not pushing the hot air out of the vents?

- Check the back of the fan speed switch for melted plastic and connections.
    - Swap out the relay for a known good relay.
    - If you disconnect the resistor plug from the resistor, the fan (if it's good) will run in the high setting of the fan speed switch.
    - Check the blower motor resistor. Pins are numbered on the resistor 1 thru 4
    -- from Pin 1 to pin 4 = 3.2 ohms
    -- from Pin 1 to pin 3 = .7 ohms
    -- from Pin 1 to pin 2 = .2 ohms
    -- from Pin 2 to pin 3 = .6 ohms
    -- from Pin 2 to pin 4 = 3.1 ohms
    -- from Pin 3 to pin 4 = 2.4 ohms

Hope that helps you out. If you do not have hot air then we can start there.
    '14 WRX
    I miss fast cars and fast women.

Quote Originally Posted by 73Dart View Post
    Im getting really annoyed by this junk.
    On my 95 s10, the heater just suddenly stopped working. It worked fine yesterday, then my brother drove it, and this morning nothing. Its not really the heater thats not working, but I think the fan is shot. I have checked the fuse, and its good because when you turn ac on, it will click. If you turn defrosters on, nothing happens at all. The fan does not turn on at all.
    Any ideas on what the problem is? I really hate scrapping windows in the morning.
    This is gonna sound stupid, but try this: Turn the fans on high and give it a little kick under the dash. The blower motors were bad about sticking in those. May work for a while. My guess is the blower is done though.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

I was in the process of taking the resistor out, and it was raining while I was doing it. So after getting soaked to the skin, I gave up on it for the day. I was freezing cold, but I hope I can get time to work on it tomorrow.
    I tore apart the dash, and looked at the switches, and they look good. I left them hanging out of the dash til I get to look at them again though, Its still drivable, just right now it doesnt have heat. I will live.

The vents didnt have any hot air coming out of them at all i dont think. I will try again tomorrow, but I dont think there was any.

Ok just so we are clear.
    No heat at all is coming from the vents and the fan does not operate on any speed. Correct?

Touch your heater hoses going to the heater core. Are both hot to the touch once up to operating temperature?
    Check your blend door. See if it is stuck or the cable/vacuum are not operating.
    As long as your getting heat correctly you should feel it at least coming out of the vents very faintly.

If all that is good and you can feel the heat then move on to figuring out why the blower is not blowing at any speed.
    Check your switch connections. (Which you did)
    Check your resistor.
    If its good then your next step is the blower motor.

A cheap trick for staying dry it drape a tarp over the cab and the open door. It will give you a small area outside of the truck to keep the rain off of you if you need to work under the dash.
    '14 WRX

I will let you know tomorrow, but I am pretty sure nothing was coming out, but I will be driving it again tomorrow, and I will let you know. I will also check the heater hoses.

How do you check the blend door? Im not real familiar with this truck yet to know where all of its at.

The blend door is probably on the right side of the dash. You might be able to access it by reaching under the dash or removing the glove box.
    It is controlled electronically or by a cable. If its cable operated then just move the arm by hand that controls the blend door and see if you get heat.
    If it its electrical you can make sure you are getting power to it. If you are then Id get a new one.

Ive never worked on a S10 so Im not completely sure how to access it. Im sure a google search would show you.
    Just trying to help you work through the common areas to check.
    '14 WRX

See if this helps at all
    Click to enlarge
    209g804.jpg
    '14 WRX

Okay, I was wrong about no heat. It does have a very faint heat coming out of the vents when the heater is on. And the lines going to the heater box are hot to touch.

I am going to try and get the resistor out today, and check the blend door. This cold rain is getting to me though.

Finally got it working.
    I bypassed everything, and hooked 2 wires directly from the batter to the fan. Didnt work. So I took the time and pulled the fan out. went ahead and started playing with it, and tried jumping it again. It took off on me, and I almost dropped it. So it does work? Yes, I kept trying it and worked perfect everytime. Put it all back together, and it works perfectly now. I think the fan is going bad though, because it is making some noises. Must of just bumped it around enough to fix it.
    That was an hour of my life wasted right there.

Im glad it was a free fix (for now at least) but I am about fed up with this truck. Well gm vehicles period actually.. I told my mom this summer when I am driving my car we are putting this truck up for sale, and buying a dodge truck to run around it.

I was real excited when we got this truck. It was actually gonna be my first v8 swap project, but I think im gonna pass on this truck and swap a v8 into something else, or maybe put a bigger motor in my car? Hmmm, decisions decisions...