Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPM problems at WOT

Default RPM problems at WOT

Well I already knew the stang did this but, I am asking opinions anyways. At wide open throttle the mustang hangs at 4500RPMS its like its hitting max RPMS when oblivious it cash couple more thousand to go. At normal everyday casual throttle its fine it only does this at WOT plus it just doesn't feel as strong as it should.

My bet is on the fuel pump even tho it may have had a new one installed I am betting on the MAF, MSD ignition or the fuel pump, also the computer could be doing it but I am strongly doubting it.

Any thoughts or opinions?
    1994 Mustang GT

The tune

The car needs tuned

Have the car tuned.

Lot cheaper than replacing the new parts on it.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Default Re: RPM problems at WOT

I know what your problem is

Sorry had to do it. But I agree on what Steve has to say. Take it up to Tim (aka Rodeheaver) and have him tune it for you.

224hp/280tq | 17lbs of boost | Neuspeed P-Flow Intake | Replacement Forge DV | EuroJet Boost Gauge
    "And remember kids, procrastination is like masturbation: in the end, you're just screwing yourself."

That is what Roger says but after miles of interwebs search I see others stating different things. I am going to have it tuned this coming week and see if that helps. Then I am going to line it up against my firebird. lol
    1994 Mustang GT

Who are you having tune it?
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

My father in law found someone that will tune it. I don't know the shop yet, I have to go see my father in law t/m to get the number and call/check the place out. If this unknown to me person can't do what I want then I am going to take it to rodeheaver in PA.
    1994 Mustang GT

I've been looking at tuners, I am thinking about ordering this for my car and tuning it myself.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-4b...om-9498gt.html
    1994 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout View Post
    Well you will need a chip burner and the sct software.. I know the software is about 400.00 IDK about the burner prob in the 200 range.
    Well I called the place to talk about the chip they said its not what I need. I need a dyno tune.
    1994 Mustang GT

Take it to rodeheavers and have him fix it for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    Take it to rodeheavers and have him fix it for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    X2^^^^

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

I am all for doing something myself. but unless you want to become an expert and live through the frustrations. take it to and talk with him about the budget you have in mind before.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I agree with the above stated. Steve and I have chosen the do-it yourself route, and it's definitely a trial by fire experience. Even knowing most every issue that has to be dealt with before hooking up the tuner, it's taken quite a while to get our vehicles worked out. In your case, where you don't know exactly yet what areas need tweaked yet, I'd leave the tuning to someone, like Tim, who has a good bit of experience with Mustangs. I'm not saying it's something you couldn't figure out on your own...Just that he could probably get it straightened out pretty quickly, and save you a ton of headaches. If you are willing to sacrifice time to learn and figure it out yourself though, go for it.
    Last edited by levilz; 08-30-2011 at 04:27 PM.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

I agree with you guys I just hate spending alot of cash if I can do it myself. I just don't think I can do it myself tho very unsure...

However a off beat here, Wade's garage near DJ's diner in Fairmont can dyno tune it etc. I have nothing against taking it to rodeheavers but Wades is closer. Wade's charge is $75 an hour and they already have the software and parts needed to tune it. The down side is the guy that does that kinda work is on vacation until week after next.
    1994 Mustang GT

Nope, no Dyno at Wades. No dedicated tuners there either. He even sends his own stuff to New Jersey to be tuned still, as far as I know.

RNA Team #217
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)

www.elzaperformance.com

Really last I heard wades was basically done for now offices for wades other business. I have never heard of them having anyone that can tune.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by BaltRavens52 View Post
    I agree with you guys I just hate spending alot of cash if I can do it myself. .

Don't take this the wrong way, but based on your posts in this thread, you cannot fix this car yourself in a timely fashion.

You would likely end up spending more money doing the wrong things first......

I speak from experience....no education is free.
    -John

He gave me a business card the other day, so I guess he is going to keep doing some work there. It's hard to tell what kind of crap he'll get into there.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

I'd say that would be an OK start in some instances, but this car needs some individualized attention since everything has been replaced, the block is different, etc etc etc....

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

You have learned much. And yet you still have alot to learn young grasshopper.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Wtf new jersey I know 3 gm tuners closer maybe 4.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Yeah, it was somethin crazy like that. Shipped the car up, had it done, and shipped it back. Cameron could probably verify, cause I may be wrong... but I'm thinking it was Jersey.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

i thought it went to Detroit once. any way about it. I was not aware that he had anyone to do tuning.. without a dyno. tuning is kind of dangerous. lol.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I called and talked to Wade's he said he has the stuff to do it, I dunno the main guy is out of town. I have to talk to him when he gets back in town. I am getting tired of waiting etc. I may just call the place in PA and just take it there. lol It sucks being a newb at this stuff.
    1994 Mustang GT

Take it to Tim Rodeheaver. He will get you the most hp possible.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

It's not really that far anyway. It's only about 40 miles more to McClellandtown than Fairmont. Not knockin Wade at all. He does great custom work. Tim is the man when it comes to Stangs though.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com