Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben's 4g63t swap into a 94 Eagle Summit(same as a Mitsubishi mirage/dodge colt)

Default Ben's 4g63t swap into a 94 Eagle Summit(same as a Mitsubishi mirage/dodge colt)

Hi all, after posting in the newbie section and saw the response to the post, I've decided to start a build thread. the pics of the summit I posted in the newb section, but i'll re-post them here too. I only have about 1 day a week to work on this project, so it may take a while. Also, i dont have an engine hoist and I have been making a stand/hooking a come-along to it to make this even more challenging. To top all of that off, its outside on a farm with the elements/insects(big fricken spiders)/wildlife/mother nature. So the first thing i have to do each time i go to work on this is mow the tall grass around it LOL.

Back story:

This was my daily driver/pizza delivery car for about 4 years. The friend i bought it off of had it for atleast that long and maybe longer. It had 118k miles on it when he bought it, then sold it to me with a spare engine for 300 bux. It had about 171k miles on it when i bought it. At 187k miles my brother blew up the first engine (put a hole in the head the size of a quarter between cylinders 2 and 3) when I let him barrow it for the day. I say it happened because he never shifted out of 4th on the interstate doing 85mph so it was running about 5300rpm instead of 4500rpm that it would be doing in 5th. The second motor took it from 187k miles to 246k miles when I spun a rod. (got angry, took it out on the car, now i gotta fix her again LOL)

Currently:

So now I'm taking a re-built 4g63t engine out of my talon to put into the summit. I took the engine to a machine shop, had them cook the block/install the rings, main bearings, and rod bearings. Took the head to the same machine shop and had them install new valve seals.

Mods:

The engine has skunk2 cam gears, 16g turbo, just got my GM maf/maf Translator, a wiring harness adapter a friend on 4g61t.org makes for this kind of swap, and custom fabricated motor mounts from Tkrperformance.(also a member on the 4g61t.org forum)

Plans:

I want to install the 4g63t into the summit/use the car as a daily driver. I plan on taking it to the track, hopefully, by next summer. (and now that i've found a place where car shows etc. are being tracked for the area I would like to meet up with some of you all/put my finished project into a few of them)

Any info is welcome:

I know alot of you guys/gals here are more for american muscle, and may not know much of what i'm attempting to do here, but If you know something I dont feel free to chime in and help me out. I'll probably need it LOL. As i mentioned before, i dont have an engine hoist and have been kinda "making it work" without one. If anyone knows of a place that would say "rent" one that is around my area (martinsburg/maryland) please let me know. I'm going to need to run a completely custom exhaust from the manifold back, so if anyone knows of a really cheap exhaust shop, feel free to mention it.

Current Progress:

So far I have the 1.8L 4g93 engine out of the Summit. Last week I had a friend tow my donor car (91 Eagle Talon fwd tsi) over to the farm, and place it next to the summit for the swap. Right now the Talon has a 93 front end on it. (I bought the car wrecked, and converted it) When I'm done grabbing what i need from it (could be a bit) I plan to part the shell out, or sell the car as a whole depending what is left and if anyone would be interested. I dont have any pics of the Summit with the engine out yet, but I hope to have some next week. The latest/main problem at the moment is the passenger side axle is rusted into the hub. I pounded the crap out of it with a hammer with no luck. I dont have an axle pusher, anyone know where to rent one or even buy one for cheap?

Current pics:

I'll try to get some pics of the donor car by next monday.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now.

there is as many if not more import guys here than anything lol. a couple are really good with the 4g63 for instance. usernames 4g63 and 93laser right off the top of my head. there are plenty more I'm sure. keep up the good work these things take time, my build thread is old and ongoing lol

Sent from my iPhone because I'm too cheap to buy a computer

Default Re: Ben's 4g63t swap into a 94 Eagle Summit(same as a Mitsubishi mirage/dodge colt)

SWEET talk abotu a sleeper!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Default Re: Ben's 4g63t swap into a 94 Eagle Summit(same as a Mitsubishi mirage/dodge colt)

ass gas or grass? lol
    I gotta say, that is an ugly car, but it will make a sweet sleeper
    ~jon
    2002 WRX
    2002 CBR600 - rip 3/27/10

Pretty sweet project you got going here! Definitely like to see it when you get it done. As for some of your local area questions...

Tri County rental has engine hoists they rent out. I think they charge $40/day though...seems a bit steep.

Exhaust...I've always dealt with Haines in Inwood (about a half mile west once you get off the Inwood exit). I know B&M just north of Martinsburg is a very reputable shop too.

Check at Autozone for a puller/pusher to get that hub out. That and a few cans of PB Blaster. They might have hoists for rent too. Just a thought.
    -Jeff-

1995 Ford Thunderbird SC 5-speed - 1 of 574
    2011 Taurus SHO - TT 3.5L - 13.8@102mph - 100% Stock
    2011 Audi A4 Premium Plus - 2.0T - Black/Black

cool, thanks for the info thunder. When i talked to a friend they mentioned B&M for the exhuast too. (after i made this post) I think he
    said they charge like $100 to make a full exhaust back to the muffler (you supply the muffler). I'll probably get it made from the downpipe back/supply a flowmaster exhaust or something LOL. Unless i find something i like thats affordable. I traded the apexi muffler off my
    Talon as a trade for towing it to where its at now.

If the engine hoist is only $40 a day, yeh its a lil steep, but If i time everything right, ill only need it for one day, which would be safer, and alot less hassle than what i've been using.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze wrx View Post
    ass gas or grass? lol
    I gotta say, that is an ugly car, but it will make a sweet sleeper
    LOL yeh, it is pretty ugly, but its fun to drive. It will be a pretty good sleeper I spose, I never really thought of it that way. Just liked
    driving it, but the paint/crappy wing/body/hood damage should make the comments i get interesting rofl.

original, i like!!

thanks, monday i'll have pics of the donor car/engine. in the morning im going to a junkyard thats local to pull some parts for members off another message board, and look for a good set of 2g talon front calipers to do the big brake swap with. (2g have the dual piston
    calipers and 1g's like my donor car have single piston front calipers).

Well, its been a while, and I figured i'd post an update.

I've decided to grind off the 1.8 trans shifter arm and unbolt the other one. I'll remove the cable bracket, and do the same to the talon
    trans. Then take the 1.8 shifter arm and weld it on the talon trans, and bolt up the other shifter arm and cable brackets. This will
    make it so that the original summit shifter/cables can be used on that transmission without swapping anything else out. The speedo
    sensors are the same between the two transmissions.

Instead of the 2g eclipse/talon dual piston calipers, I grabbed a 94 Mitsubishi Diamante Master brake cylinder, and both front calipers
    (also dual piston). With front brake lines for the Diamante calipers, they bolt right up to the stock brake lines on the Summit. The
    calipers are also bigger than the stock brake rotors were made for, so I'll have to get 02 Mini Cooper S 276mm front rotors. They fit
    the stock 4 lug pattern on the summit as well.

I have 2.5 in mandrel bent aluminum intake piping on the way, with an autometer boost gauge, from Merrill Performance.

Thats about it for now, I'll add the pics of the talon for you all to see finally.

Dont mind the dates on the few pics, I put new batteries in the camera and never set the date lol.

I'll update it again when i have a chance/accomplish more.
    Last edited by Ben4g63t; 10-30-2011 at 05:59 AM.

pretty neat little build.. it'll definitely surprise people!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Thanks. I can't wait for it to be finished LOL. Most of the stress will be over when i finally get the 4g63t mounted in the engine bay.
    The trans is almost out, then I'll take the shifter arms off and get the other one welded on. Once thats finished I'll remove the engine
    wiring from the talon and place it in the summit. When i pull the engine out I'll have to switch the driver side motor mount to a 2g
    eclipse mount, and it should be ready to set in.

Besides the summit holding personal value to me, I really just want to smoke my friend's Honda at the track next summer LOL.

awd conversion would be a great addition

for sure, but alot more fabrication would need to be done. Maybe when I research that more and find a shop able to do it for a decent
    price.

Very Cool Man!! I have something similiar (92 MX-3 with 2.2 Turbo MX-6 GT Engine) I'll defineately be keeping an eye on your build

For a quick update, I've got the engine completely un-bolted and its just sitting in the engine bay of the talon. The trans has the Summit shifter arm welded on to it. I installed the 94 Diamante master cylinder for the dual piston front brakes, and It will work for the rear disc conversion kit when i decide to get it. I'm currently looking for a decent priced 2g awd eclipse/talon fuel pump.

My cordless power drill crapped out on me. Once i get a replacement I'll be able to drill/mount other pieces to my firewall, along with wiring harness. I'm currently taking a dash out of a car in the junkyard to find where bolts are to remove/replace mine without any
    damage LOL.

I got the timing tool kit to keep 4g63 cam gears locked together in time to make timing belt removal/install easier. (should make
    installing the 2g driver side motor mount/block plate alot easier.

I've been short on cash due to x-mas etc, but when I can afford it again i'll be making the trips back to the car to get the engine out
    of the talon, bolt the mount plate/mount on it, connect the trans again and drop it in. (after i finish taking my dash out/disconnecting
    the last engine harness from the summit to run the talon harness.)

I'll update more when i can.

Well, the weather is starting to get nice again. I'll be trying to get some time to start in stalling the engine now. I got another set of mounts fabbed up that will take little to no modifying to work now. the first set would require bolting the rear one in, lining up some holes, marking, removing, drilling, installing again. these ones are just going to be bolt on.

As soon as I do get the time though, I'm going to lift the engine out, install the cam gears, timing side engine mount, front and rear custom mount brackets to the motor, drop it in the mirage and some where in the middle of that hit a local yard and pull a lower control arm/knuckle/install it on the summit.

I got the interrior plastic pieces for the rear, new glove box to replace the piece of wood with 2 6.5 speakers in it. Stock cam gears to put the engine in time alot easier, and stock 2g fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator. the 2g pump is supposedly a drop in for he 4g mirages, to make it a bit easier as well.

I've had quite a bit of things going on, getting ready to move into a new house this month, both boys playing t-ball and little league baseball, moms been in and out of hospitals with surgeries and complications, and the women is knocked up with another hellion on the way. When I find time, this sucker is going to be thrown together as fast as possible. And then I"ll start hitting up the people who know stuff about dsms on this forum, since I'm not expecting it to start up right away LOL! Thats just my luck.

I just noticed how many views this thread had, and figured with that much intrest, I should atleast update this with something. Hopefully the next time I update I'll have better personal news, and more progress to share/take pics of.

Ben

So I made it out to the car today. Of course I had to weed whack before I even got to do anything to the car...an hour later I was finally able to get my car's doors open, and the donor car's door open. I finished pulling out the engine harness, had to remove the dash to follow some wiring inside, and finally got the last plug from under the driver's seat. The rug was trash, so I just sliced the whole way, following the wire.

I started removing the wiring from the talon. After I got all of it disconnected from the inside of the car, I moved to the engine bay. When I removed some screws/bolts, and was ready to transplant some parts to the summit, I realized I forgot my dam drill. *sigh* So I called it quits after that. I snatched some pics of the cars after getting the tall grass/weeds down. looks like they are in a jungle rofl.

Once I get the engine harness removed from the talon/mount certain things, the engine is going to be set to go in. Decided to trade whats left of the talon to a friend to use their engine hoist. Once im done with the car, he can scrap it for the cash. No tow company is going to be able to get it anyway, and with no tow dolly/front wheels on the car I figured its an even trade.

I'll keep this updated as much as I can over the next few months.

Ben

I like the build and i remember someone in a mag did a similar swap... Pretty cool if you ask me.
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

yeh, I used to have the magazine. I think it was import tuner. Someone in canada made the car into a full out drag car, ran like 8s I think or 9s. Dam kids decided to hack it up/make pretty posters out of it LOL. I think if you google 4g63t swap into 94 mirage or colt it will bring it up, you may have to search the first couple pages to get to it though.

When my brother blew a hole in the head I actually purchased the talon to do this swap like 6 years ago. My friend talked me into straightening the front of the wrecked talon/swapping a 93 front end on it instead of doing the swap. I think he didnt want to help at the time (I was pretty car-stupid back then). Now I've been pretty much no-stop researching, and even found someone to fab the engine mounts/wiring adapter for the swap, making it atleast 50 times easier, so this time when the bottom end went, I said screw it and went for it.

Too bad some of you guys that can weld/paint aren't closer, thats what I want to learn to do next to fix up the body/paint it. I'll probably buy a junk yard coupe and rob the rear bumper/mounts/brackets, and whole front end...hood/fenders/bumper/bumper support. After that, another rattle-can paint job, possibly with plastidip since I like the way it looks. Unless of course I can get some help with a real paint job LOL.

I'll worry more about that bridge when i come to it, for now its all about getting the engine in, and running.

After removing the summit's engine harness, I noticed the talon may have a few "common" plugs that are the same, and I may be able to get away with using the fuse box for the headlamps etc. I'll be doing a bit of reading over the next few days to see if this is true.

Ben

I installed more of the wiring, I installed the stock 4g throttle cable again, after finding out I could use either, but wouldn't have to worry about finding a place to mount the 1g throttle cable box. After that, I re-installed the dash, all of the climate controls re-plugged up, and installed the cig lighter again. The wire was actually snapped off, so I re-wired it while I was at it. The radio is just about re-hooked up and I just need to run a power wire. I stopped there with it since I dont know if the power wire is going in the trunk, or under the hood.

If everything goes well i'll be able to work on it a few more days this week for a couple hours a day after I get off work, since I"m working mornings at the moment.

I need to install the 2g dsm fuel pump, stock 1g fuel pressure regulator, and a few other things before I get the engine ready to be dropped in.

I did find that there was a wire ran from the stock dsm ignition switch, which was cut off right before the battery. Hopefully this wire has something to do with the engine not wanting start . I got some pics on my phone, but I havn't figured out how to put them on here. Can't wait to get the last few things done befoe the engine is dropped in. Hope you all are having better luck than me.

Ben

you should put this up on grassrootsmotorsports.com too! Many homebuilt low buck rides on there... Including mine ;-)

I'll have to check that out. It's been a while, but figured i'd drop a line in the thread for those that are wondering what happened.

I lost my job a couple months ago, and stripped the donor car of everything that is able to be parted out for some extra cash, the engine is still in the car, but it's just balancing on the motor mounts and leaning against the front of the engine bay, ready to be removed. The summit is completely ready for the engine, but I've had no extra cash to spend the 40 bux to rent the engine hoist. I ripped the back seat out of the summit and I'll leave it that way for now, or until I can afford a decent condition one. I installed the motor mounts so the engine is ready to drop right in.

Just waiting on some funds now to complete the engine swap, and find some 15-16 inch 4x100 rims. After that its just some cutting holes to run the evo 8 front mount intercooler/denting the fire wall to make the engine fit.

Just had a baby a month ago, so it may not be until after x-mas until I can give some solid updates, but i'll definitely check that website out dansxr2.

Ben

Well, its been a while, but figured i could update. I havn't been able to spend as much time working on the car as i'd like due to employment issues and health problems, but i did manage to get the engine in.

Whats left:

Install a wire from the started to the engine harness
    Install a power wire from the alternator to the fuse box
    Install the raidiator (have to get a hole welded in it, or replace it completely)
    Install the mini cooper front rotors, Diamante front calipers, and pads
    Put gear oil, oil, brake fluid, antifreeze in
    Cut a small hole to run intercooler piping
    Install the intake piping
    Get an exhaust system setup/installed
    Install the 2g eclipse fuel pump
    Locate 15-17 inch 4x100 rims to fit over the bigger brakes.

If anyone around martinsburg, inwood, hedgesville or in any reasonable distance away has or know of any 15 inch 4x100 rims and tires for a decent price, feel free to let me know.

I have a few pics to post now too.

Pics have a front mount from an evo 8, and a 1g talon bumper in the pic for a mock up. Probably wont be using the bumper, but when the time comes I will be using the intercooler.

Doubt there are still very many following this thread, but for those that check all updated threads and wonder what was going on with the build, here ya go. If anyone has any questions i'd be willing to try and answer them as well, if i cant for some reason, i'm sure i could find someone who can.

Ben

My mom has a set of 15" aftermarket wheels that came off her 2000 Malibu. Don't remember the bolt pattern, I know they're dual drilled, but I can check.
    -Jeff-

1995 Ford Thunderbird SC 5-speed - 1 of 574
    2011 Taurus SHO - TT 3.5L - 13.8@102mph - 100% Stock
    2011 Audi A4 Premium Plus - 2.0T - Black/Black