Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben's 4g63t swap into a 94 Eagle Summit(same as a Mitsubishi mirage/dodge colt)

Default Re: Ben's 4g63t swap into a 94 Eagle Summit(same as a Mitsubishi mirage/dodge colt)

so i sent a pm to ya, but if u didnt get it or didnt notice, feel free to message me back here, as im interested in atleast seeing the rims/tires.

Ben

Default Re: Ben's 4g63t swap into a 94 Eagle Summit(same as a Mitsubishi mirage/dodge colt)

anymore updates on the car yet?
    1973 Dodge Dart Swinger: Garage Queen
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger: Project postponed
    2015 Dodge Dart: 2.slow 6 speed manual No mods.... Yet

nothing since getting the engine in and all the pics i posted last. In the process of moving this week, so I wont have a chance to get to it. Been takin it easy the last few weeks too. I had some shortness of breath and some pain that felt like a lung cramp, went to the ER and they found that i had 2 blood clots in my left lung. Now im on blood thinners and Just finished a bunch of shots in my stomach (14 over 7 days). So im short on cash now too, so once i start working again on the 5th I should have more time to mess with it around then, and hopefully it will be alot warmer too.

I do have all the fluids, gear oil, brake fluid, oil, antifreeze. I just have to cut a part of the car to run intercooler piping for the side mount. Then I have to run a wire from the alternator to the fuse box, and one wire from the engine harness to the starter, then its ready to try and start....cant wait. Blood thinners and cutting just dont mix, so i may get a friend to help me out with the cutting since im going to be on them for the next 6 months. I am expecting a bit of cash in the next couple days to the next week, so if we get done moving faster than planned I'll see what i can do to work on the car

Glad to see you posted too dart, i've ben checkin out your projects as well. The derby truck should be interesting/fun. I've always wanted to try that kinda thing, but with the women and kids, theres just no time right now....In a couple years when the lil one is older (6months old) maybe then there will be more time. Once you get the truck done post some pics and be sure to record the demolition! hehe.

Ben

That stinks about the blood clots. Dont you hate when something happens with your health and cant work on the cars or do much of anything as far as that goes.

At least you dont have a whole lot to do to try to get it started. You will have to post some videos when you get it running good. I cant wait to hear it.. Nothing like the sound of a vehicle starting up after spending a ton of time working on it.

This will be my first time running in the derbies. I have been watching for quite a few years and wanting to get in it but just never really had an opportunity to do it. I can not wait to run it... I will be running on august 16th. Which seems like forever away. I will definitely have it recorded. I figure my family will and also my buddy will for sure. If I can get my hands on a camera to mount on the inside of the truck I am also gonna try to run an in truck camera. I will keep updating with pictures and videos as I go along. Well, Im actually heading out to try and get some work done on it. Gotta get some fenders mounted and battery moved.

Make sure to keep us updated on your car
    1973 Dodge Dart Swinger: Garage Queen
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger: Project postponed
    2015 Dodge Dart: 2.slow 6 speed manual No mods.... Yet

Yeh, man, not being able to work on the car is torture at this point, so close and yet so far it seems.

As soon as I get it started i'll c what videos and such i can get of it too. I'm waiting for 15 inch wheels n tires before i put the new front rotors and calipers on, cant justify putting them on just to get rained on etc for a while before it starts LOL

Ben

Well now, it has been quite a while since i've updated.

I had the car towed to my house on the june 5th, but since its been so long since i've had a chance to mess with it i'm currently at a loss as to what i was planning on doing next LOL. I know i have to hook up the intake piping and and run a couple wires, so i guess i'll start with looking the engine bay over today and see what i can come up with....gotta track down a hole saw to hook up the sidemount intercooler (going to run everything stock until i get it started/driving) that way i can add stuff after the car works etc.

if anyone is close to martinsburg and knows anything about hooking up the intake piping etc. i'd gladly meet up with you and bring you to the place and look the car over. since its been like over a year that i've worked on it, a point in any direction to get started is welcome

Ben

sweet, I hate forgetting where I left off, it is a pain in the ass and you always feel like you forgot something.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Well just got some free time, and figure i'd update. I drilled a sloppy hole to run the intake through where the battery used to sit LOL. Connected everything intake/water hoses etc. The car wouldnt start, until i used starting fluid again (ran for like 30 seconds one time, and 40 seconds another). The next day i went out to pull the radiator and hoses (the car had no coolant, i was just seeing if it would start etc.) and about 2 quarts of oil came out.

I was stumped as it seemed like way too much oil to be the head gasket, but decided to pull it anyway thinking maybe water froze in the block and cracked water jackets with the amount of oil that was in the coolant. Head came off, no blown head gasket, and then it occurred to me that it was probably the oil cooler since the oil filter housing is one end, the oil cooler connects to that, and the oil filter screws onto the oil cooler. (coolant lines go to the oil cooler, its not one of the air coolers like on the 90's eclipse, laser, talons.)

The oil filter had a slight drip to it too, but i figured it was just damaged from sliding the motor across a field from one car to the other on a sled last winter LOL. Turns out water froze in the cooler and split behind the seal of the oil filter so i couldnt see it..the only way i even got the filter off was by pounding a screwdriver through it and twisting/tearing the filter metal. Once i got it off and saw the hole it answered everything, so much oil was pushed to the radiator because it was like the oil pump was just pumping it all there.

So I got the head back on, and it back in time, waiting til i get another chance to put the pullys back on to run the water pump/alternator belt.

While i had the head off i noticed the egr valve gasket looked like it was missing a pretty big piece, im planning on taking a piece of sheet metal, cutting it down to the right size/drilling holes in it and using silicone or buying another gasket to put it back together with and just delete the egr valve completely since i've deleted a few other things as well. The throttle body gasket is also in bad shape/missing a bolt, so hopefully after i go through the intake with new gaskets etc. the hard starting will be solved at the same time.

I traded a friend a set of rims for a beat up set of 17's and put them on the car over the diamante brakes and mini cooper rotors. One of the calipers is seized up and i'll have to replace it though...but i dont plan on doing that until after i get the car started without starting fluid, or if the funds show up unexpected lol.

So thats pretty much it for now, future plans after the car runs are to get a new set of seats and a rug since the ones in it are in pretty bad shape, and there is no back seat. Currently looking for a 91-94 6 bolt oil cooler for cheap if anyone knows of anyone that may have one LOL.

The pic of the busted oil cooler.

Here are some pretty recent pics before i tore the motor down again.

Nice side view of the wheels.

Driver's side

Passenger side (Intercooler is on it)

I've managed to get a stock front bumper and support, but havnt had it on yet, going to leave it off so i can remove the radiator to bleed the clutch etc. Once the car is back together i'll put that on.

Very nice project you have going here. Keep the updates coming! My first turbo car was an 84 Dodge Colt GTS. I loved the factory sticker in the back that said "Don't step on the gas... unless you mean it." If only I had thought to upgrade the engine as you are doing. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun in this car when you get it going.

Thanks, Since I've had time to work on the car more this summer its been pretty nice. My daily driver is an 89 dodge colt. It's a 1.5 though, not lucky enough to have gotten a 1.6t. Could have mounted the motor right in there with little trouble at all, and awd. Instead its just a good gas saver for work.

I can't wait to see how it feels to drive it. I'll definitely keep the updates coming as i get things done, might be a few since moneys gettin tight with the holidays coming up.

Got the car back together (head on etc). Just installed the new oil cooler a couple days ago. Now just waiting for a few more bux to get a master cylinder bench bleeding kit, and some brake fluid and i'll bleed the clutch, then put the front bumper on. still need to connect radiator hoses, intake hoses, and replace the throttle body elbow gasket. then oil and antifreeze. Also going to look at a few diagrams and see which vac hoses need to be ran and which need to be blocked off, to make sure all of that is correct. Still have to find out whats causing the hard starting/only starting/running on starting fluid.

Its getting gas for sure, fuel rail was full when i removed it to pull the head...Could always get some materials and an air pump to test for boost leaks as well.

Wanted some pics of the car back in the farm days to show a few people and figured while i was here i might as well toss another update. The car starts, runs, drives (pretty fun ). only thing left is minor things like trying to figure out why the passenger power seatbelt isnt working, but I'm planning on taking the easy route and bolting in a manual belt. Need new seats/rug but i did get the front bumper on, have the exhaust but need it welded which im planning on doing in the next week or two. After that I just need an inspection and its road ready...already tagged n insured. Next nice day i'll get a few more pics, havnt swapped the hood for one in better shape, or rear bumper yet but couldnt see doing that before i got it inspected.

And an update as to the reason the car wouldn't run unless on starting fluid -- Bad ECU. I figured it was the issue but had too many people swear it wasnt...just goes to show, don't listen to everyone and just do what needs to be done LOL

Keep on the project and don't give up.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4