Thread: Auto to four speed

Default Auto to four speed

Just finished converting a late 80s dodge ram from an auto to a four speed with granny low and added a 6" lift to it. Wow what a pain in the ass. Will never do it again on a dodge. It was for my cousins truck, we are taking a big wheeling trip this weekend and his trans was out so I volunteered myself. NOTHING FIT!!!!!! He is a mopar freak and has 3 other parts trucks, so I took measurements from one and cut the holes in the firewall and floor for the clutch linkages and shifter. Get the trans up in her and the holes are off by like 3" WTF. I measure the other two trucks and they are all in a little different places. Took everything out of a donor truck the same year as the one I put it in and the transfer case was hitting the floor, the exhaust wouldnt clear, driveshafts had to be lengthened front and rear, had to make custom linkage because the stock Z bar wouldnt set level no matter what I did. Dodge was on the verge of bankruptcy in the 80s and boy does it show. And to boot everything else I had a chain hooked to one of his parts trucks to roll it over on its side and I will be damned if I didnt blow an axle in my blazer (on 38" boggers with a built small block) so now I have to wake up early and find a short side axle in the morning to get my junk ready for the trip. Drinkins going to start early this holiday!!!!!

Robbie

great story! congrats on getting it done for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol love interchangabe parts lol
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Default Re: Auto to four speed

yeah interchangeable lol. I have done several gms auto to four speed or four speed to auto and never had a problem other than usually having to redrill the frame to move the x-member one way or the other. I prefer a auto for off roading especially in the mud but having granny low really makes it nice in the rough stuff. I will get some pics, theres about 7 trucks going now. Hopefully the one I put together doesnt screw up, always some fresh bugs.

Robbie

Default Re: Auto to four speed

I know just how you feel man! My old CJ-5 is part of every vehicle made and it's always a hassle getting the right parts.
    1979 CJ-5
    1995 YJ
    1995 Civic DX
    2000 Super Duty