Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 98 Trans Am Fuel Pump Replacement?

Default Re: 98 Trans Am Fuel Pump Replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevec5ws6 View Post
    I think everybody that said "don't cut it" needs to help you replace it....

y'all know the exhaust has to come out too right?
    Tell me more about this "exhaust" you speak of..... LOL
    99' Z28 08' TBSS I might bring a knife to a gun fight but what you dont see is the grenade in my pocket!WHITE TRASH RACING TO THE FRONT MOTHER FUCKER!!!

I have a 85 Trans am and a 97 camaro and wouldnt cut either one for a million dollars. Its not about the time or the money its doing it correct.

I have a 91 and a 95 f body. I cut both of mine. It's not right or wrong just personal preference.
    http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s269/1sickta/2quick.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by partsman View Post
    I have a 85 Trans am and a 97 camaro and wouldnt cut either one for a million dollars. Its not about the time or the money its doing it correct.
    You won't cut yours, but you'll blow a tire clear through the fender wells??? LMAO!

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

I thought the same thing.. "correct" isn't swapping a front end from a 98 + onto a pre 98 chassis either LoL .... yeah i don't like to be told I'm wrong for doing something to make my life much easier. It makes no structural difference, no structural difference, and when i threw the sound deadner in there. it was better insulated than the metal that was there.

ooh and for $1,000,000 I would cut any of my vehicles up into little tiny pieces. then buy whatever i wanted with the rest of the money. and retire lol.

Nate, it's that thing in the back that makes the whistly sounds in my car not all of us run dumps lol.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

I would do unspeakable things for $1,000,000.00

RNA Team #217
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)

www.elzaperformance.com

I thought the same thing.. "correct" isn't swapping a front end from a 98 + onto a pre 98 chassis either LoL .... yeah i don't like to be told I'm wrong for doing something to make my life much easier. It makes no structural difference, no structural difference, and when i threw the sound deadner in there. it was better insulated than the metal that was there.

ooh and for $1,000,000 I would cut any of my vehicles up into little tiny pieces. then buy whatever i wanted with the rest of the money. and retire lol.

Nate, it's that thing in the back that makes the whistly sounds in my car not all of us run dumps lol.
    So Changing Plastic fenders and bumpers is structural now?

Just as structural as a thin piece of steel over top of the gas tank.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I like this board. lol If you post about cutting the access whole on any F-body site the purists will threaten to kill your firstborn. There was one guy on TGO that started a thread about it. He lived in a apartment complex and couldn't do it the right way or afford to pay someone. He did a great job on it and they still flamed him to death.

I really don't see the big deal myself. It makes life easier on you (or your mechanic), and it would go completely unnoticed to even the "purist" unless you told them you did it. Plus, it's no different than doing a cam swap or switching your wheels. It's doing a modification of personal preference, just the same as anything else.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

I need to do a search and replace on this thread for "the right way" replaced with "the HARD way"
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Look it up on a labor guide and I'm sure there is no option for replacement.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

If I were getting paid $90 per hour to replace one for somebody, I'd do it the way the labor guide said. If we were doing mine, I'd cut that sombitch.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by levilz View Post
    I would do unspeakable things for $1,000,000.00
    unspeakable?? hell id be bragging about what i done while i was counting the money..lol
    99' Z28 08' TBSS I might bring a knife to a gun fight but what you dont see is the grenade in my pocket!WHITE TRASH RACING TO THE FRONT MOTHER FUCKER!!!

Alldata shows a 6.5 hour replacement job. That includes removing the rear axle and cat back.
    Cut the access hole.
    '14 WRX
    I miss fast cars and fast women.

I don't remember dropping the rear, did take pan hard bar off..... No where near that long!

It can be done without removing the rear diff but its still a pita.

The way I look at it is just putting the access hole is just doing what gm should have done. pretty much any european and asian cars always have fuel pump access holes.
    repair and detailing, amsoil dealer304-677-5804www.sbfilters.com

I only posted that in response to the below quote. I looked it up out of curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by kennygene View Post
    Look it up on a labor guide and I'm sure there is no option for replacement.

Alldata usually over estimates from my experience. I didnt think you would have to drop the axle all the way out either. Ive never done one on a trans am though. Id still cut the access panel.
    '14 WRX
    I miss fast cars and fast women.

Quote Originally Posted by BSTD-Z28 View Post
    unspeakable?? hell id be bragging about what i done while i was counting the money..lol
    Lol. Good point!

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

I dont remember telling you that your wrong for "doing something to make my life much easier" I was giving my 2 cents the same as You did. And I dont remember making any comments towards u or your car, But if it makes u feel good to bash my cars then have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by levilz View Post
    You won't cut yours, but you'll blow a tire clear through the fender wells??? LMAO!

This is true, I knew for a 100% that it was going to rip threw my wheel wells. So competing in a motorsport and damaging your car is the same as cutting a whole in your car?

so jason, your on here just looking for an argument?

you make a comment that doing it "the right way" which simply states that others were wrong. you say for a "million" dollars you wouldn't cut up your car to put a fuel hole in. yet for the hell of it you tear up a different car.

I'm not bashing your car, it looks great and proves your one hell of a body man, i wish i had those talents. I was simply making a correlation to your argument of not cutting a hole in the back of the car to changing many of the body parts.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

No U are, Its fine for u to post your ideas and how u tackled this project but its not for someone else. U gave the guy your opinion and so did I Then u started bashing me and my car... I never once said "the right way".. He asked a ? And I gave my opinion same as the rest of all u guys read back threw the posts... Kennygene and Bstd-z28 much love for u guys.

hey steve did you do the hotwire kit?? i need to put a pump in this new car...

and ill probably just cut this car....hahahahhaaha