Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto X ( cross) What it is.

Default Auto X ( cross) What it is.

Autocross is a form of motorsports that emphasizes safe competition and active participation. An autocross is a timed competition where drivers navigate one at a time through a temporary course marked by traffic cones, rather than racing on a track with multiple other cars, as in road racing or oval racing. Autocross tends to place more emphasis on car handling and driver skill than on sheer horsepower, and events typically have many classes which allow almost any vehicle, from economy sedans to purpose-built vehicles, to compete. Speeds are slower in absolute terms when compared to other forms of motorsports, usually not exceeding highway speeds, but the activity level (measured in discrete turns per minute) can be higher than even Formula One due to the large number of elements packed into each course. Autocross courses are typically 40 to 70 seconds in length, with speeds limited to 70mph for insurance purposes. In addition to being a national-level motorsport in its own right, autocrossing is a good way to learn skills that transfer to road racing, as drivers learn vehicle control and club ethics.
    Autocross events are usually held in large paved areas like parking lots or airfields. Typically, new courses are created for each event so drivers must learn a new course each time they compete. Prior to driving, a competitor will walk the course, taking mental notes, and developing a strategy to be refined upon subsequent runs.

A video of Sam Strano ( www.stranoparts.com) driving a 5.0 Mustang ( he loves any rear drive muscle car so he told me.
    [YOUTUBE]aHlpFfBXEl0[/YOUTUBE]

If you have any questions or would like to know more feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer them, or find the answer for you.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Default Re: Auto X ( cross) What it is.

thanks for posting. good info!!

Sam's awesome.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Yeah. It all looks SOO easy, and slow until your in a car bouncing from console to door!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I just need to get down the concept of slower is faster. That first one I went to, I still had myself completely in "balls to the wall" mode. Once I started chilling and gliding through the course instead of smoking it up, I knocked about 10 seconds off my lap times. Haha.

RNA Team #217
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)

www.elzaperformance.com

^^good advice, I'll need to keep that in mind^^

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

More helpful links:

Go Ahed Take the Wheel! : http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/autocross/autox.php

2012 Solo Rules: http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517

Cheap membership for younger people: If you are 24 years of age or younger, don't forget to take advantage of SCCA's discounted membership, it's only $45 per year!
    From SCCA.com: "SafeRacer First Gear Membership Special discounted membership designed to help those age 24 and under get started.
    Delivers all the benefits of a regular membership, including your own copy of SportsCar®, at an exceptional value of only $45 per year.
    Link: https://ams.scca.com/netforum/eweb/D...6-07EDD9D376E3

the annual cost of membership $60 is the reason I'm not a member. yeah I can get a discount when i go to an autocross. but it's still a lot of $$ for what you get IMO.

Thanks for the links! i'll check out the rules new when i get a chance. ... the other thing is most of my cars i've already broken all of the rules with
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

It would be good if you attended every event but that's just not gonna happen for me. I'll be lucky to go one or two times/year.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

70 mph?? you mean until someone messes up a course design.... One year at Yeager we were doing well over 85...

Daveb, I will bet that was in a slow car too!!! The north hills group gets over 100 regularly from what i hear.

I wish we had more close here too.. it costs me almost twice as much in gas and food as it does in entry fee
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Yeah it was in my old CRX....the vettes were absolutely hauling and the you had to lock them up for the finish...interesting to say the least.
    Last edited by daveb91; 02-14-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Sounds like fun to me.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

I'm thinking about maybe hitting cumberland also this year.. Maybe next year when i get the car really sorted out, a trip down the hampton roads for their ACL-4 ( Amfib base autocross or autocross the abandon naval base down there..
    Last edited by elhazzja; 02-14-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

Quote Originally Posted by elhazzja View Post
    I'm thinking about maybe hitting cumberland also this yet.. Maybe next year when i get the car really sorted out, a trip down the hampton roads for their ACL-4 ( Amfib base autocross or autocross the abandon naval base down there..

That does sound like it would be pretty cool.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by levilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elhazzja View Post
    I'm thinking about maybe hitting cumberland also this yet.. Maybe next year when i get the car really sorted out, a trip down the hampton roads for their ACL-4 ( Amfib base autocross or autocross the abandon naval base down there..

That does sound like it would be pretty cool.
    Pungo and Fentress are still used for auto events.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/VA/...giniaBeach.htm
    09 Sonata (My DD)

"I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout View Post
    We were making an effort to get the SWVRSCCA up here to do a autocross, they apparently looked at the lot we had in mind and decided it was too small and was too dirty.. I am none to pleased to say the least its winter they expected the lost to be clean in February? I had made arrangements to have the lot swept before the event and I have been to autocross on smaller lots. I think in the interest of growing the sport they might have been willing to make an exception to their requirements.

How big of a lot do you need? thats a line of full size school buses.. the smaller of the lots will hold over a 100 cars. Needless to say the SWVRSCCA has burned a bridge with me..
    From the measurements on wikimapia, Lincoln is just as wide but not long enough.. Hell did you show them east side high?
    09 Sonata (My DD)

What size did they say the lot had to be anyway?

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Yeah, I thought it was a done deal too. That really sucks. It's what..around 70'. longer and 50' wider. Big deal. The cars waiting to go are the next lot up, the time trailer is up on the other side of the stops as well, and the start is in the loop... running down into the lot. That eats most of the size difference. It's definitely no smaller than when they did them at the airport in Elkins a few years ago. Plenty of length there, but the width, not so much.
    Last edited by levilz; 02-14-2012 at 05:20 PM.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout View Post
    Not really the point, we are not going to cater to them. We have a lot and if they dont want to play ball we will find another organization that will. I dont have time to run all over harrison county finding a lot that will satisfy them. We are doing it to get exposure for the sport.. Less than ideal is better than not at all in my eyes.

This is exactly how I feel. anything is better than nothing. I don't want to bad mouth an organization, but nor do i expect to be providing some stellar perfect parking lot that is apparently a white unicorn, I recall riverside having huge ass poles dips that i scraped the shit out of the vette in, and if they don't think it will be fun. then oh well. We can do it ourself or not do it at all.

I've hard great things about the people running the north hills autocross, I'll definitely hit it up sometime in 2012. not saying I won't go back to riverside, but if they aren't going to help us, i won't go out of my way to help them. funny thing is there or were 5 or 6 of us from up here going down there to events.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by levilz View Post
    Yeah, I thought it was a done deal too. That really sucks.
    That is what roger an I were led to believe. ... I never expected them to bring their whole group up etc. just a couple of people with the trailer and timing system would have been awesome.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

That's why it's hard to deal with organizations. It's a shame nobody has a timing system, because we prettywell have access to everything else needed to make it happen ourselves.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

I have cones (more than motown had) and can call the guy i used for insurance for a quote. Remember the guys in mo-town just had a stop watch..
    09 Sonata (My DD)

Stopwatch, there ya go.

RNA Team #217

www.elzaperformance.com

Anything smaller than riverside is a waste of time....I loved autox but when the big airport ones went away so did my interest.. Why don't they use Ona like they did a couple years hack.