Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto X ( cross) What it is.

Default Re: Auto X ( cross) What it is.

camerons cones would be great for start and stop. but i don't want to total my vette hitting one of those that is as tall as my car. lol. I definitely get sick of all the shit and people bailing.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

so why is it. "ooh that's a not big enough or a waste of time etc" and then they set up a damn course so tight we can't get out of first gear. I have never been able to accellerate more than a third of the parking lot at riverside anyway.
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I honestly think any autocross would be better than none.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

Quote Originally Posted by kennygene View Post
    I honestly think any autocross would be better than none.
    Nah there is always summit point, nelsons, and mid Ohio...........

those are 3 or 4 times the price. just think. your a parent would you rather your kid do some auto cross than lock the brakes and spin out when the first deer jumps in front of them. I think this shit should be in high school drivers ed!
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

3 or 4 times the price and seat time from one of the track days would equal what like 3 full autox seasons.

true, but i'm talkign about stuff we can get some local involvement in while you and i have built cars for that purpose, you can't do that with your normal every day cars.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout View Post
    Plus there are a lot of people that have never done it and won't travel just to try it. Local event would pull a lot of people that might not do it otherwise. It's very addictive. All moot at this point we just have to turn our focus to the show and move on. We will make more contacts and hope to find another group that is willing to do something to attract new people not just satisfy their current people.
    agreed

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

If you build it, they will come.......

Going to the track is all well and good, but that doesn't help the local situation a bit. Plenty of people don't have the money to drop on the cost of the actual entry+food+the hotel+the gas to get there,etc. etc. etc. That's why I don't go to Belle more than one or two times a year. The idea behind this event wasn't to have the greatest location with the biggest, fastest auto-x in the state. It was to help spark interest in OUR AREA. If the SCCA would have been willing to toss Roger and Steve a bone here, it could have possibly led to larger more well-suited venues in this area. I know several locations that would be potential large draws that we would be more likely to pick up if there was an established presence by a national organization (I.E. SCCA) here.

That's my opinion. The facts of this deal were 1. We already had the lot and permission to use it. 2. There is nowhere else around with a huge lot that is willing to let us use their location, or wants an outrageous amount to do it. 3. Traveling across the state, or to any of the surrounding states to attend an event is pretty expensive, hindering many people who would otherwise be interested from participating. 4. Many more people from this area would participate, or at the very least, watch, if it were in their local area, regardless of the size of the course.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

I, for one, would like to try autox but simply the fact that I am a highschool student with no money, I cant afford to go to riverside to run. It is to far of a drive, for me, and If for example there was an autox in clarksburg I may try to make it to that one because it would be closer. It would still be around a 2 hour drive for me, but would cost less money.
    I would really love to try auto x because it looks like a blast to me. Someday, I may get to do it, but thats down the road when There is one close to me or when I get money to afford something like that.

I would also like to go to a drag strip sometime to get a base time on my car. But, there is none close enough for me to go to right now either.
    1973 Dodge Dart Swinger: Garage Queen
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger: Project postponed
    2015 Dodge Dart: 2.slow 6 speed manual No mods.... Yet

I hear ya when we had the autox here in Parkersburg it was a huge success even in bad weather.....100 entrants

Would it be possible to start another chapter of the SCCA? Maybe they're overwhelmed and didn't really consider it?

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

I don't know i sure as hell don't want spread any thinner myself, SCCA with their "pax" and crazy ass rules, on the rally part of it were nuts. Difficult to understand the rulebook for average street cars. Definitely something i will look into.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by daveb91 View Post
    I hear ya when we had the autox here in Parkersburg it was a huge success even in bad weather.....100 entrants
    I wish they still had it, because that would only be 45 min drive for me. When they did have it, I didnt know about it, and didnt have a good vehicle to do it with anyhow( 96 ford explorer and 89 ford f250.. Not good candidates). Not that my car would be good for it now, but I think it would be fun to play around in.

Quote Originally Posted by 73Dart View Post
    I wish they still had it, because that would only be 45 min drive for me. When they did have it, I didnt know about it, and didnt have a good vehicle to do it with anyhow( 96 ford explorer and 89 ford f250.. Not good candidates). Not that my car would be good for it now, but I think it would be fun to play around in.
    My Dart would drag the rocker panels and break my arms all at the same time.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Would it be possible to start another chapter of the SCCA? Maybe they're overwhelmed and didn't really consider it?

They the Charleston group won't consider it because we're to close to the Pittsburgh chapter (North Hills)..
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout View Post
    Hes talking about going to the SCCA directly and starting a NWVRSCCA
    Ummm...
    09 Sonata (My DD)

"I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

Quote Originally Posted by elhazzja View Post
    They the Charleston group won't consider it because we're to close to the Pittsburgh chapter (North Hills)..
    No, that's not the reason at all. did you miss just about everything above this? as in they visited the lot, it's too small hence they are not interested, but would be if we found a better spot....

I realize this is text and i sometimes sound like a dick in person. but I don't mean come across that way on this.

If this location is willing, I plan to have an autocross there.. some how. scca, other sanctioning body, or unsanctioned.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Isn't there someone who already has the license for the north wv area....?

My Dart would drag the rocker panels and break my arms all at the same time.
    You think they would drag? my car sits pretty high, and I dont think my suspension would have enough give in it. Now breaking the arms and other components are what I would be worried about on my car. I would be afraid about putting that much stress on my parts, because they are all original from what I can tell.

On another note, I am hoping to completely rebuild the front end when I do my disc brake swap. Then after the brakes are done its time for the rearend and suspension.

Isn't there someone who already has the license for the north wv area....?

Not that i ever heard. Where was some folks who did a auto cross where the Sam's is now acouple years back acouple of times.
    09 Sonata (My DD)

I have not heard of one either. When have they ever had an autocross "where sams is now" that was walmart, and before that I'm not sure you were even living here. I had heard they did one in the Kohl's lot.

the corvette club did one at fairmont, ( we were both there) and the year before they did one at robert C byrd high school. which i missed.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Stevec5ws6 View Post
    I have not heard of one either. When have they ever had an autocross "where sams is now" that was walmart, and before that I'm not sure you were even living here. I had heard they did one in the Kohl's lot.

the corvette club did one at fairmont, ( we were both there) and the year before they did one at robert C byrd high school. which i missed.
    Guess i don't know anything, but then again this isn't my first rodeo..... BTW where Sam's is now is where Lowes use to be.. Also i have "lived in West Virginia" off and on since 1996 ..

Here a link and there use to be video's of it but i duno where they went now..

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f32/...burg-wv-46405/
    09 Sonata (My DD)

I'm not saying what you know just how you do or don't communicate it.

Not that i ever heard. Where was some folks who did a auto cross where the Sam's is now acouple years back acouple of times.
    In that thread it states SWVR SCCA helped to put that on.

or the one word reply.

I forgot about that when lowes moved out. I also thought it would be kind of hard to know all of the stuff going on when you were on a ship or living in norfolk.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo