Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: May be buying an Aprilia

Default Re: May be buying an Aprilia

be careful with that voltage thing that's what fried the computer in my trans am!
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Stevec5ws6 View Post
    be careful with that voltage thing that's what fried the computer in my trans am!
    Low voltage? I put the bike on charge last night and sent an email to tuneboy. I'm hoping all goes well with the next attempt. Today is my Dad's b-day so if I may not get to mess with it until tonight.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

OK, got back into it this evening and spent about 3 hours working on it. No progress, bike runs like crap and tuneboy is not answering my emails. So far, they have 0 tech support for me.

I'm glad I decided to stay carbed with my Dart. It's a waiting game now, if tuneboy doesn't help, this bike will have to go back to the dealer.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Kenny someone out there should have a tune they can just email you and you can upload. is there not a support "forum" for the aprilla's or do you not speak itallian?
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I have the tune and have already downloaded it. I didn't save the old tune becasue it was a useless restricted tune. I def do not speak Italian.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

should always save the old tune. kind of like savign the old parts lol

so the tune just won't load at this point?
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I'm a believer in saving the old tune too. I think there are a few times when Steve was working on both of our cars that it's come in handy.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

I didn't save the restricted tune just because it was useless to me. I wouldn't put it back even if I had it. I'm waiting still yet on tuneboy to help me which has been very slow and no tech yet. Tuneboy software is getting poor reviews so far. They really need to pick it up.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

The new tune loaded but will not let me adjust the TPS limits.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout View Post
    Did some snooping around and found this...

Select the menu Edit -> Tune Constants, and twist the throttle on the bike to verify that the TPS value changes.
    Unhook the throttle cables from the throttle grip, in case they interfere with idle (properly tensioned cables should not).
    Unscrew the idle adjustment screw on the left side of the airbox, taking care to not letting it drop out if you can. You can watch the TPS value slowly lower as you do this, and it will stop when the idle screw is about to fall out. If the idle screw falls out as it did with me my first time, you'll have to remove the airbox top and sides (5 screws) with the long philips-head screwdriver, and fish the idle screw back in place (kind of a pain in the ass).
    Click the "Set low" button right below the TPS value display (the value was 39 on my bike).
    Hook the throttle cables back up to the throttle grip.
    While holding the throttle wide open, click the "Set high" button (the value was 214 on my bike).
    Close the Tune Constants window.

From here..

http://xvasylum.wikidot.com/guide:engine-tuning-101
    Yep, those are the same directions I have. Trouble is, the throttle values are not showing up now.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Kuneff is offline Wash & Wax Auto Detailing OWNER

I am totally stumped as to why you would had tried to do this yourself... I remember you saying something about you doing a lot of research on these bikes.... I have not heard much good about TuneBoy myself. Especially their customer support. Call Xtreme back and talk to Allen. I am surprised all your research you did not see the horror stories of the back yard derestrictions.

One of the main reasons these bikes have gotten a bad rep is because of people buying them thinking they can derestrict them on their own. Seriously man... They charge $200 to derestrict it.... For another $200 you could be riding right now rather than waiting for TuneBoy to get back with you.

These bikes are truly race bikes. Aprilia must restrict them to pass US emissions. Seriously 73ish bhp on a 550 v-twin??? Revs over 11k??? oil changes every 800 miles with oil that cost $25ish a Liter... if Ferrari made a bike this would be it. And your not willing to let a dealership with the Best Aprilia Mechanic in the country derestrict it for you??? People in California buy these bikes from Xtreme so that they are set up correctly by Allen. They ship bikes to other countries man...

I hope you get it all worked out without blowing it up.
    Contact me if you need Motorcycle Tires Mounted/Balanced.

Wash & Wax Auto Detailing (304)365-1923
    Open Saturdays

Tuneboy stopped replying to my emails at this point. I sent 2 yesterday and a properties screenshot to them last night. I got zero reply so sent an email this morning requesting help or return information.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Your best bet would be to call Xtreme today and talk to Allen. Get the bike back up to him, have it done right and sell your TuneBoy on the Aprilia Forum or ebay and save yourself the hassle.

Open Saturdays

Quote Originally Posted by Kuneff View Post
    I am totally stumped as to why you would had tried to do this yourself... I remember you saying something about you doing a lot of research on these bikes.... I have not heard much good about TuneBoy myself. Especially their customer support. Call Xtreme back and talk to Allen. I am surprised all your research you did not see the horror stories of the back yard derestrictions.

One of the main reasons these bikes have gotten a bad rep is because of people buying them thinking they can derestrict them on their own. Seriously man... They charge $200 to derestrict it.... For another $200 you could be riding right now rather than waiting for TuneBoy to get back with you.

These bikes are truly race bikes. Aprilia must restrict them to pass US emissions. Seriously 73ish bhp on a 550 v-twin??? Revs over 11k??? oil changes every 800 miles with oil that cost $25ish a Liter... if Ferrari made a bike this would be it. And your not willing to let a dealership with the Best Aprilia Mechanic in the country derestrict it for you??? People in California buy these bikes from Xtreme so that they are set up correctly by Allen. They ship bikes to other countries man...

I hope you get it all worked out without blowing it up.
    All the reasearch I read only had good to say about tuneboy. I guess I don't agee with any of it at this point.

I honestly would NOT sell one of these bikes to anybody derestricted. So, I guess I'm a little upset that they did. They told me it would run as well as a stock DRZ400 derestricted-wrong!

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Quote Originally Posted by kennygene View Post
    All the reasearch I read only had good to say about tuneboy. I guess I don't agee with any of it at this point.

I honestly would NOT sell one of these bikes to anybody derestricted. So, I guess I'm a little upset that they did. They told me it would run as well as a stock DRZ400 derestricted-wrong!
    I have heard of TuneBoy having issues. Granted i have been on there since about 2008.

You mean restricted?? A lot of dealers will not even de-restrict them. Restricted meets US EPA laws. like 30 something hp. De-restricted makes 65hp area.

As for them running as well as a drz400 Restricted.... If thats all you wanted you should had bought a DRZ. Those things are indestructible and not near as finicky as a Aprilia. Its like comparing a Honda to a Ferrari. I have never rode one that was still Restricted, I didn't see the point. I bought it because they are wicked power DE-restricted, so why would anyone pay that kinda money for one that was still Restricted???? Its the buyers decision if they want to pay that much money for a bike making 30bhp or a couple hundred more for the same bike making 65bhp. It was your choice NOT to wait for them to derestrict it, and thinking you could do it yourself. All your research you should had seen plenty of posts about issues with doing it yourself. and problems they caused by doing it themselves. Sometimes it pays to be patient for a few days and not jump so fast.

These bikes are high maintenance and I even told you that on WVMotorsports. If you would just call Allen and take it back up there to have it De-Restricted then you would be saving yourself a lot of headaches.

Open Saturdays

Keep in mind... you bought a Race Bike. Some refer to a GSXR and other sport bikes as "Race" bikes. They are fast, but they are built for reliability and dependability. Aprilia SXV's are NOT. They are built to make MAXIMUM hp and be raced. They will not run for 20k+ miles like a GSXR or M109. You might get 10k miles out of it. Maybe less if you ride it like I ride mine. The engines are built to the jagged edge of the limit to make the power they do. Something tells me you will be selling this bike before summer is over and getting a DRZ because of the maintenance. If you haven't blown it up by then, get ahold of me. I might buy it for a track bike.

Open Saturdays

Keep in mind... you bought a Race Bike. Some refer to a GSXR and other sport bikes as "Race" bikes. They are fast, but they are built for reliability and dependability. Aprilia SXV's are NOT. They are built to make MAXIMUM hp and be raced. They will not run for 20k+ miles like a GSXR or M109. You might get 10k miles out of it. Maybe less if you ride it like I ride mine. The engines are built to the jagged edge of the limit to make the power they do. Something tells me you will be selling this bike before summer is over and getting a DRZ because of the maintenance. If you haven't blown it up by then, get ahold of me. I might buy it for a track bike.
    If you want a track bike, call the guys in MD. They have several "parts" bikes for sale.

I'm not concerned about the maintenance issue at all. If I based all my decisions on internet horror stories, I would'nt have bought an Aprilia to start with.

The only issue I'm having at this point is tuneboy.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

I have heard of TuneBoy having issues. Granted i have been on there since about 2008.

You mean restricted?? A lot of dealers will not even de-restrict them. Restricted meets US EPA laws. like 30 something hp. De-restricted makes 65hp area.

As for them running as well as a drz400 Restricted.... If thats all you wanted you should had bought a DRZ. Those things are indestructible and not near as finicky as a Aprilia. Its like comparing a Honda to a Ferrari. I have never rode one that was still Restricted, I didn't see the point. I bought it because they are wicked power DE-restricted, so why would anyone pay that kinda money for one that was still Restricted???? Its the buyers decision if they want to pay that much money for a bike making 30bhp or a couple hundred more for the same bike making 65bhp. It was your choice NOT to wait for them to derestrict it, and thinking you could do it yourself. All your research you should had seen plenty of posts about issues with doing it yourself. and problems they caused by doing it themselves. Sometimes it pays to be patient for a few days and not jump so fast.

These bikes are high maintenance and I even told you that on WVMotorsports. If you would just call Allen and take it back up there to have it De-Restricted then you would be saving yourself a lot of headaches.
    Yes, I meant restricted. I bought it that way thinking it would work fine for a while and if I liked the bike, I could take it back for full derestriction. Well, I should have rode the bike before hauling it home for sure. After riding it, I thought it was some kind of joke.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Icon7 Re: May be buying an Aprilia

Update... I put myself through tuneboy tuning school this weekend. All is going well now and I'm actually enjoying this stuff. I have a couple Aprilia gurus on my side now and am in the middle of making my own tune. It looks like the tune writing process will take a little while but it will be worth it. Should I ever have a reason, I actually have the ability to run dual tunes with this setup controlled by a handlebar mounted switch. The map I'm working on has both tunes intact. However, I'm only running one tune at a time for now.

The tune I'm doing will have no worries. It will actually be modeled after the exact tune the Aprilia dealer would have installed.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

That's awesome kenny! some folks never feel the need to fully understand all the crap that goes on in a vehicle. I've always been about the exact opposite i hate NOT knowing.
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Roger is like the sticker version of "Cheeseburger Eddie"

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout View Post
    Sound cool Kenny.. O btw I have your stickers

Cool, can you bring them to the SHCC meet on the 30th?

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stevec5ws6 View Post
    That's awesome kenny! some folks never feel the need to fully understand all the crap that goes on in a vehicle. I've always been about the exact opposite i hate NOT knowing.
    Yep, I like being able to do stuff on my own. I loaded up about 6 tunes this weekend. That would have cost me a fortune at the dealership. In addition, if I lost a tune or needed a flat spot removed, the bike would have to go back.
    This way, I get the dealer programming with the ability to add/modify tunes myself.
    I'm hoping to get the final tune completed and downloaded tonight. My Aprilia guru got back with me and gave me some very helpful instructions!
    I'll be ready soon to throw on some tags!

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

Sweet!
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

I completed the custom tune a couple hours ago and loaded it up and wallah! Runs good, idles good, yah!!!! I rode it to a nearby gas station and filled it up and then back home. Took it on some dirt roads and misc. here and there. It is doing great with the exception of idle is sometimes sketchy. No problem though, I just need to readjust the TPS a little lower and that will be fixed too. I'm surely happy this worked!
    The power report is exceptional for a bone stock tuned 450. It comes off strong pretty well about 5 grand and then pulls hard up to about 10 grand. The power is smoother than what I expected out of this bike. It is very docile when you wanna be. Overall, I'm happy. I did it all myself and the bike runs great.
    I'll be going to the DMV tomorrow to get tags and I will update again later after I put some miles on it.

Oh and one more thing, the oil light is already on requiring a change. Good thing I stocked up on filters!

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com