Thread: Larry Myers service dept. Horrible experience.

Default Larry Myers service dept. Horrible experience.

My car is a 2010 STi with around 9500 miles. I bought it brand new from Hamilton subaru in Irwin, PA. Awesome dealership, great experience.

The car is obviously still under warranty.

I've got a wheel grinding noise coming from the driver's side front wheel and, I believe, both back wheels. And the a/c doesn't blow very cold in the summer when its 90+ Degrees and the a/c compressor kicks on and off a lot.

I took it to larry myers, they checked it out. Said the A/C was fine, good on freon. Then they tell me that my wheel bearings are fine, but my tires are shot ( "chewed up" ) and that's where my road noise is coming from.

Tires shot at 9,000 miles sounds unusual. So I asked the guy if he thought it could be the alignment. He said he's reasonably sure it's the aligment. and I asked him if he could do anything about it and all he could bring himself to say was that tires aren't under warranty. Which I fully understand. Alignments are under warranty. 12 months or 12,000 miles. So... if the alignment made the tires go bad... should I eat the cost of buying four new Dunlop SP600s???

Anyways here's the kicker: I tell them to leave the keys with a salesman so I can pick it up after I get off work. He tells me there will be a charge!

They charged me $84.55 to tell me there's nothing wrong with my a/c and that my wheel bearings are fine, but they can't do anything about my "chewed up" tires.

I argued with them for a while about the charge, explaining over and over again that my car is under warranty. And they kept telling me that diagnostics is not warranty work. If they could of found a problem with my a/c or my wheel bearings, there wouldn't be a charge. but since they're supposedly "fine" then I have to pay labor rate.

I called Hamilton Subaru in Irwin, PA... Bortz Subaru in Waynesburg, PA... and John Howard Subaru in Morgantown, WV. NONE OF THEM WOULD CHARGE ME FOR DIAGNOSTICS. I explained everything to each of the dealerships. They all considered it warranty work.

Anyways.. now i have to fight with Subaru of America about this ridiculous 84.55 charge AND I still have all the issues. Nothing is fixed. The front wheel still howls around right turns. And for now I'm on my own with the tires.

The tires are cupped by the way. I guess "chewed up" is a Larry Myers technical term for Cupped tires.
    2005 Legacy 2.5 GT

My- flickr

Default Re: Larry Myers service dept. Horrible experience.

I've had hit and miss problems with them since me and my wife moved to Clarksburg. I'll share my 2 problems with them. (I sold Hyundai's in Va so i know when they're feeding me B/S.)

First run in....

I had a 06 Sonata that i had picked up used from Washington (Pa) Hyundai. Washington Hyundai had sold me a car that had previously been a rental car. I learned of it after getting the title to the car. After having the car for 2 months a burning rubber smell started. I told the car to Larry Myers to have them look at it and change the oil. About 15 mins into it the service manger comes out and asks me to come with him. We walk out the garage, where my car is up on the lift with the right tire off. The tech pointed out that one of the belts was rubbing prettty bad against the motor. We walk back in the front and the service guys says they'll fix it but they'lll have to charge me. I said no because the car is under warranty, he responded with they called Hyundai and they said it wasn't. I got mad, told them i'd be right back. I called a Hyundai rep i knew back from Va. Got down with the call and walked back, as soon i saw them they said that the car was outside and they had to get back to work which i thought was odd. I got back into the car and start to drive 79 north. About half way to Washington (Pa) the rep calls back and says take it back to Larry Myers. I said no thanks I'll have Washington Hyundai do it because there at least will do the work. Washington Hyundai did the work no problem, plus give me a rental while they had to wait for parts.
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

Second run in.....

Fast forward to a year ago or so. I was driving home on 79 when my car went into limp mode then safe mode. After waiting acouple minutes and resetting the car, it drove home fine but i wanted them to look into it. So i next morning i call and tell them what went down. They tell me to bring the car in and leave it because they're busy but they'll look into it. A day pass's before they call me and tell me whats wrong. They said they needed about 4 or 5 days to fix it. I told them i burned leave because i didn't have a car and didn't want to do it again the next day also I needed a car to get back and forth to work. I asked for a rental car and they said no we can't give you one. I asked why and the guy got rude with me. So i said ok, hung up and called my rep friend and he told me to call corp and make a complaint. I did and within an hour i had them calling me to come and pick up a rental from them. I show up later that day and they had enterprise pick me up. Now they're all buddy buddy with me. I found out they're on a short leash with Hyundai right now....
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

Yea the service manager is a real asshole. I got really tired of his "I don't give a shit" attitude. He just kept staring at me with this blank, bored looking stare like it doesn't matter what I say because he's not budging one bit anyway.

I'm taking the car to Hamilton Subaru in Irwin, PA. About an hour and a half away. They said they're going to try and get subaru to do something about the tires for me. Hamilton is very customer service oriented. Larry myers is all about getting your money whether you're happy or not.
    2005 Legacy 2.5 GT

My- flickr

Quote Originally Posted by elhazzja View Post
    Second run in.....

Fast forward to a year ago or so. I was driving home on 79 when my car went into limp mode then safe mode. After waiting acouple minutes and resetting the car, it drove home fine but i wanted them to look into it. So i next morning i call and tell them what went down. They tell me to bring the car in and leave it because they're busy but they'll look into it. A day pass's before they call me and tell me whats wrong. They said they needed about 4 or 5 days to fix it. I told them i burned leave because i didn't have a car and didn't want to do it again the next day also I needed a car to get back and forth to work. I asked for a rental car and they said no we can't give you one. I asked why and the guy got rude with me. So i said ok, hung up and called my rep friend and he told me to call corp and make a complaint. I did and within an hour i had them calling me to come and pick up a rental from them. I show up later that day and they had enterprise pick me up. Now they're all buddy buddy with me. I found out they're on a short leash with Hyundai right now....
    yea I'm getting the same shit from that dude. I'm hoping they'll be on a short leash with Subaru now. I'm going to raise as much hell with Subaru of America as I can.
    2005 Legacy 2.5 GT

My- flickr

there parts department is just as bad

if the tires are cupped because of a faulty wheel bearing (which is under warranty) then the tires should fall under the warranty as a bi product of the original problem. also i would tell them where to stuff the labor charge

+1^ Go up to John Howard, they are pretty good about fixing and replacing. The motor blew in my 09 wrx. John Howard gave me flack about it, but end result, they put a new block and turbo in it. I told a guy from larry myers about it and he said I was lucky to get a new motor, I told him luck had nothing to do with it. Because it was new motor or attorney, and he just shrugged his shoulders. Needless to say I go to John Howard for the wrx.

Completely Original