Thread: Kevin's Autobody Hurricane, WV

Default Kevin's Autobody Hurricane, WV

Do not go there!!!!

My GOD it's been such a headache! I was waiting to post this until I got everything back.

My expencive ass motorcycle comes with some of the plastics matte instead of clear coated.. I hated it so I took them to Kevin's Autobody to be clear coated. I was told by a few people he was a good guy and does a good job. WRONG!

The factory KTM gas tank had a light crack in the paint so KTM replaced it with a brand new tank. It came in and two guys at the KTM shop looked it over and it was all good. They let me take it to Kevin's to get clear coated...

I gave it and a few other plastics to my Hurrican City Cop buddy to drop off. Two days later they call me and say the tank has a big crack in it that looks like it goes into the plastic.

To make things short Kevin's says they didn't touch the tank that it came that way.. KTM says they are 100% sure it was fine when it left. I know the transport from the Police Dept. to Kevin's sure as hell didn't do it!

KTM is trying to send the tank back under warentee to see if they'll take it. If they say it was abused I guess i'm taking Kevin to court.

NOW the other plastics.... All he had to do was clean and then shoot them with clear coat.... He didn't clean them, just shot clear coat over dead bugs and large black marks. I was PISSED. Then there was a lot of runs in the paint along with fisheyes.
    When I talked to the owner Kevin he says "well those spots aren't seen anyways right?" WTF?!? I paid $500 more for this damn bike than I did my car. I want the fucking thing to look good! And yes one spot is seen.
    He then takes me to the guy who painted them and he says "well I tried cleaning them but they didn't come all the way clean" WOW super bug guts huh?
    The owner said he couldn't use degreaser because it changes the color of the paint. WTF?! Since when????

Anyways, I let them try again. .. ... ....

Got them back today... Now the front fender IS a darker color (odd how the others aren't) and there is clear coat that has ran down to the bottom of it and collected in a "run" that is filled with bubbles so it's nice and white. Those bubbles continue on up the side of the fender. The other pieces are still dimpled and a place on it looks like the bike has damn celulite.

I give up.......
    My tank is on back order until July 6th so it wont be till then when we know if KTM will cover it. Thankfully i still have the stock one on the bike. It's just now the only thing not clear coated.

I was going to let them paint my car once we sell the buggy (some of the money is going to pay for this) Not so much anymore!!!
    A detective from hurricane gave me the name and number of a guy who does nothing but custom paint jobs in Culloden. I'm now scared to trust anyone

And now have to find another front fender...

2013 Subaru BRZ

Default Re: Kevin's Autobody Hurricane, WV

That sucks.. hope you have better luck in the future.

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

They should have used some sort of degreaser or paint prep to clean them, As for just clearing over a mat finish it would be rough because u have to scuff the surface clean again and then clear them im not even sure it would last. He should have contacted KTM and got the paint code clean,scuff,clean,seal,bace, then clear. My 2 cents I wished u lived closer.Good luck.

Damn that guy had no idea what he was doing. I have worked in a body shop before and though painting is not my specialty (body work was) I could have done a better job. The guy lied if he said he could not use a degreaser and the parts would have needed scuffing at the least to have been cleared and buffed.

2003 Bagged S10
    1991 Firebird Convertible 1 of 953 built. (Back on the road )
    1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus (long term project)

greg chandler in st albans is the best autobody place around putnam and kanawha
    09 Sunburst Orange Dodge Ram Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4 (5.7 Hemi)
    06 Brilliant Black Dodge Magnum SRT8 (6.1 Hemi)

I used to work in all the bodyshops in the valley doing glass work. You see good and bad with all of them. Alot of shortcuts are taken if not overseen but how do you do that. I have worked in Kevins and seen alot of his work. He does or used to do good work as I've been out awhile.

James Shinn does very good work. He has Rides Restored in Teays Valley going towards rt35 on the right. If it was me I would check with him. He has done alot of restorations and high end cars and understands peoples wishes as he's a car guy also. I've seen a few magazine cars he's done and he has also done some work for me. No complaints here.

I called rides restored and asked how much he'd paint my car for. Said it had to be sanded down and all. He said $6k!!! I'm glad he's a good painter but i'm poor! lol $2k and I would have been all over it.

2013 Subaru BRZ

Sucks man sorry bout your luck on that shop.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

marks mirror finish does good work

sorry to hear this...

That blows

Quote Originally Posted by lowtecoldschool View Post
    Sucks man sorry bout your luck on that shop.
    I'm suprised she hasn't jumpped on that comment

224hp/280tq | 17lbs of boost | Neuspeed P-Flow Intake | Replacement Forge DV | EuroJet Boost Gauge
    "And remember kids, procrastination is like masturbation: in the end, you're just screwing yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by StalkerStangGT View Post
    marks mirror finish does good work
    I heard that too... The same guy who told me to go to Kevins! lol but he said marks did his wife's WRX and it looked better than the stock paint did.

2013 Subaru BRZ

You should have made a thread before you took it i would have filled you in on Kevin he is a crook and i would not let him paint my bicycle you could have come looked at my car and seen his shitty work for yourself. I am sorry to hear about your experience it sucks

yah.. i had a run in the passenger door in the clear the full length of the door

BTW.. Marks Mirror Finish does Grade A+ work

i do all my own body paint etc. work i dont really trust to many pepole with my stuff so i learned how to do every thing growing up
    I reject your reality and subject my own!

I just looked at my price for the Akra front fender and even with my heavy discount for working at KTM it's still going to be about $250

I guess i'll live with the screwed fender for a while. Still pisses me off everytime I think of it. I don't see how you could own a place and be ok with doing shitty work.

2013 Subaru BRZ

Quote Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
    but he said marks did his wife's WRX and it looked better than the stock paint did.
    krylon could do a better job than stock subaru
    ~jon
    2002 WRX
    2002 CBR600 - rip 3/27/10

Quote Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
    I just looked at my price for the Akra front fender and even with my heavy discount for working at KTM it's still going to be about $250

I guess i'll live with the screwed fender for a while. Still pisses me off everytime I think of it. I don't see how you could own a place and be ok with doing shitty work.

I don't see how he is still in buisness he has riped off several people