Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 600, 750, or liter?

Default 600, 750, or liter?

I been thinkin bout sellin my r6 and gettin a gixxer 750, or a ducati 1198. I know a 1198 is the way to go but its not practical, kinda... lol . anyway what do you all think?

Default Re: 600, 750, or liter?

Depends on how you ride if you like the twisties go with the gsxr 750 but if you can afford a ducati do it! One day I will own a ducati but for now my gsxr 600 is good enough for me.

x's 2 for the 750. Great all around bike.
    2005 Ford F150
    1985 Mustang GT
    1993 Mustang-Project P/S 5421
    2011 Mustang 5.0

how much experience do you have riding? the duc is a bad assed bike that's for sure.

I look at a 750 as too much of a compromise, it adds weight etc so it's heavier than a 600 not as powerful as the liter bike. so it's a balance that usually bores most hard core riders.

if your as comfortable on a bike as you are in a hammoc get the ducati, if your still learning and want a step up get the 750, but you'll prob. want more before you can afford it.

The D is definately a great piece...

Agreed with the experience thing. Ducs are not cheap to fix! But oh so sexy

You should try the '09 CBR1000R if you have the experience and not so much money. I think it's a little ugly (a bit better once you get a tail kit) but WOW does it handle like a dream!! Some damn good power too!! I take my husbands out from time to time and am amazed every time. It just feels like it wants to lean into the turns. It's so easy and smooth. WAY different than my '07 CBR1000RR

2013 Subaru BRZ

Liter Bike Shootout: Honda CBR1000RR vs Kawi ZX-10R vs Suzuki GSX-R1000 vs Yamaha YZF-R1, with a side of Ducati 1198S

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...out-88218.html

This might help you out but I say GSXR all the way!

The 750 is the perfect street bike....there's not a mag, rag or other media that will say otherwise.

More power than a 600 and more USABLE power than a 1000.

Everyone wants to be the hotshot with the liter bike but few can even handle all that a 600 offers on the street and a big bike is just too much for the street unless you just want to cruise around and look cool.

Aside from all that I'd wait until Suzuki redoes the big gixxer....

If I every go back to a sportbike it'll be a Suzuki....they won me over with their 20th anniversary celebration a few years ago.
    Last edited by WVGoat; 12-11-2009 at 08:50 PM.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.~Thomas Jefferson
    Jamie
    My YouTube Channel
    My Flickr Page

you should take a look at buell- harley just closed buell down and dealers are selling the bikes really cheap. if you get like a xb12, you get all the power and handling you could want.

IMHO, lower revving liter bikes are the way to go. I really love the daytona because it has the power up top but also the low end torque that makes it nice to ride when you arent going all out.
    93 RX7 R1
    90 Geo Tracker: Off road toy
    02 Triumph Speed Triple: with Daytona 955i guts
    99 Dodge 2500 Diesel

As a couple of people have said, the Ducati is a nice machine, but expensive to work on. You aren't a very big guy are you? The reason I ask is because of the weight and power. A 750 is niiiice and def a good pick. My pick out of all liter bikes is a ZX-10 hands down. good luck in your choice and let the cost play a factor. You don't wanna get a bike that will cause you trouble financially down the road.
    http://pophangover.com/wp-content/up...bikeparker.gif

93 Prelude 2.2 VTEC
    01 R6 yoshi slip on

Be sure to check insurance....that can be a real eye opener.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.~Thomas Jefferson
    Jamie
    My YouTube Channel
    My Flickr Page

"The CBRís engine doesnít post the biggest horsepower numbers, and itís missing some fancy technology (engine-mapping adjustability, cross-plane crank, variable-length intakes) fitted to some others, but this is perhaps the best street engine of the group. Its midrange pull is simply outstanding, with major-league grunt available earlier than any other literbike. Its torque peak of 76.6 ft-lbs is not only the highest of the Fours, it also boasts a twist advantage over a 5000-rpm range. "

damn right And changing the exhaust does make a bit of difference!! And they were right on top of how the CBR1000RR handles!!

And about the 600 VS 1000.. I agree I don't come close to using all of it's power but the way my '07 1000RR handles beats the ever living crap out of my '03 600RR. Not to mention it is MUCH easier to pull it out of the turns if I was an idiot and forgot to shift down. The ride ability is just so much better to me. I'm A LOT more confident on the 1000RR than I was on the 600RR and everyone has noticed that.

I've heard a lot of people say the 750 wasn't worth the upgrade. That the weight of it kills it.
    Thats why I say it's all about personal pref. I'm not a big fan of the gixxer and sadly thats mainly because you see them EVERYWHERE!!!! So I guess it's got to be a good bike since so many have them? I donno.. never road a gixxer.
    I do know my '03 600RR outran a '06 750... Could have been riders though.

If you have the money and aren't looking to do super long rides PLEASE do the Duc.. so so nice.. I'd love to have Nicky Hayden's edition. mmmm

2013 Subaru BRZ

The 750 weighs only 5lbs more than the 600 (and has since at least 2004)....I defy anyone that is not a pro level rider to prove to me they can tell the difference.

And the 1000 is only 10lbs heavier than the 750.

Most folks think the weight causes the handling differences when it's really the power and the delivery of that power. Torque makes for a lazy rider. Any newer bike will outhandle an older bike mostly due to suspension and tire improvements.

If you're riding beyond street levels (and I did in most all twisties) your margin for error is reduced exponentially as you move up in sportbike class, a 600 brings the horizon along in 10secs, a 750 in 7secs, a literbike in "right-freakin-now!". Unless you're uber-awesome or a track maniac liter bikes should be left to the pros.

If your older 600cc bike outran a newer 750cc bike it was most certainly the rider

I'm a bit partial to the 750 and biased against the 1k's because of the tools I've seen on them....forgive me if I seem argumentative.
    Jamie
    My YouTube Channel
    My Flickr Page

I have found a couple Duc's for a reasonable price. The reviews on them are exceptional also. I have about 5 years riding experience with 600's but I did ride a gix 1000 a few times. I liked the extra low end power as compared to my r6.

I would like to have a duc not only because there really isn't too many around here and also the reviews.
    I have never ridden a 750 so I wouldn't know, but the new ones look really nice. I have all winter to decide so I guess ill just have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by tronix304 View Post
    I have found a couple Duc's for a reasonable price. The reviews on them are exceptional also. I have about 5 years riding experience with 600's but I did ride a gix 1000 a few times. I liked the extra low end power as compared to my r6.

I would like to have a duc not only because there really isn't too many around here and also the reviews.
    I have never ridden a 750 so I wouldn't know, but the new ones look really nice. I have all winter to decide so I guess ill just have to think about it.
    Best prices on bikes are during the winter time. And yes go Duc!! But be aware parts and such for the duc are a bit more. And if you don't do your own service it's a little pricey too. Look into seeing if there are any local shops that are able to work on the Duc for you if you HAD to have them.

2013 Subaru BRZ

Yeah make sure any warranty claims are not denied because you didn't take it to a certified shop.
    Jamie
    My YouTube Channel
    My Flickr Page

Kuneff is offline Wash & Wax Auto Detailing OWNER

I been thinkin bout sellin my r6 and gettin a gixxer 750, or a ducati 1198. I know a 1198 is the way to go but its not practical, kinda... lol . anyway what do you all think?
    So have you made a decision yet???

I have owned a LOT of different Sport bikes over the years. From a Brand New Ducati 748S to Kawasaki's, Aprilia's, Suzuki's, Honda's... I have rode most everything including a 08 MV Agusta 312RR.

Hands down... best sport bike for the street was my 2007 GSXR 750. I purchased it brand new in 07, and I should had never traded it... but I really wanted a new Aprilia RSVR 1000.

On the Track and the Street I was much faster on the 07 GSXR, it was leaps and bounds above my 04 GSXR 600 race bike, and the 04 was 10 times what my 02 GSXR 750 was. The only bike I am faster on that the 07 750 is my 08 Aprilia SXV 5.5. I have been doing track days on it, I am in the advanced group so its not much different that racing, just no checkered flag. Sport bikes get by me on the long straights, but I am passing them on the inside of the turns. :D

Get yourself a 06+ GSXR 750, and never look back. Ducati's are WAY too High Maintenance.
    Contact me if you need Motorcycle Tires Mounted/Balanced.

Wash & Wax Auto Detailing (304)365-1923
    Open Saturdays

Quote Originally Posted by Kuneff View Post
    So have you made a decision yet???

I have owned a LOT of different Sport bikes over the years. From a Brand New Ducati 748S to Kawasaki's, Aprilia's, Suzuki's, Honda's... I have rode most everything including a 08 MV Agusta 312RR.

Hands down... best sport bike for the street was my 2007 GSXR 750. I purchased it brand new in 07, and I should had never traded it... but I really wanted a new Aprilia RSVR 1000.

On the Track and the Street I was much faster on the 07 GSXR, it was leaps and bounds above my 04 GSXR 600 race bike, and the 04 was 10 times what my 02 GSXR 750 was. The only bike I am faster on that the 07 750 is my 08 Aprilia SXV 5.5. I have been doing track days on it, I am in the advanced group so its not much different that racing, just no checkered flag. Sport bikes get by me on the long straights, but I am passing them on the inside of the turns. :D

Get yourself a 06+ GSXR 750, and never look back. Ducati's are WAY too High Maintenance.
    I haven't really decided yet but I am leaning toward the 750. I would really like a liter bike but I like riding in the twisties and I am afraid the handling would be off. The 750 sounds the both of best worlds.

So you really liked the 750? How reliable are they? Did you have any problems with it?

I haven't really decided yet but I am leaning toward the 750. I would really like a liter bike but I like riding in the twisties and I am afraid the handling would be off. The 750 sounds the both of best worlds.

So you really liked the 750? How reliable are they? Did you have any problems with it?
    I loved my 750. all of them. In my opinion, the 750cc is the perfect sport bike displacement. I have rode a ton of liter bikes, and owned a few also.. I prefer the 750.

Suzuki GSXR 750....
    There are no maintanence issues. Change the oil... Each fall change the brake fuilds (clutch fluid if your bike has it) and every other year change the coolant. Keep your chain clean, good brake pads and fresh tires.

Ducati...
    Take it to the dealer for EVERYTHING to do with the maintenance, that way it will not void that warranty that you WILL need. Get ready for that first servicing... mine came in at about $700. Here is the kicker... they kept telling me when i purchased it that they will take care of me on the first service... I guess they didn't mean finically take care of me... I went to get the bike expecting to not pay a penny... You can guess my surprise... And parts... good lord you better pray you don't drop it... If it fall over on the clutch side... since the Ducati is a dry clutch the cover is not cast (well on mine it wasn't), so it bent like a pie pan... and I could not even ride the bike home cause the sheit behind the cover was all rubbing...

I love the ride of the Ducati. It was the first bike I wore the chicken strips off the FRONT tire on the street with...

However, my wife and I took the 07 750 to the Dragon... We turned the tires blue front and rear.... with no chicken strips....

GSXR 750!!!!! You gotta get an 06 or newer though.

Open Saturdays

WVSTREETS Guest

great looking bike and car both!

^Thanks... :D I really miss the bike, not the car so much. That one was an Automatic. I have a Pearl White 6 Speed now. I like it much better. :D

Open Saturdays

Thanks for the info. That def helps out a lot.

I ended up getting a 2000 or 2001 (can't remember what it is) Ninja ZX-7R. I got it to make a cross country trip on this summer. Pacific Coast Highway and back... doing some sight seeing along the way... :D

But next summer... I will be looking to find another low milage 07 750 in the silver and graphite color again. I am hooked on it. I just gotta find one with super low miles. I will probably use it for street riding, and some track.. and my SXV will be just the Track Day Whore.

Open Saturdays

That should serve you well, nice bike!!
    Jamie
    My YouTube Channel
    My Flickr Page

^thank you. I am really looking forward to it all.

Open Saturdays