Thread: Mid-Ohio turn by turn

Default Mid-Ohio turn by turn

Audi Club had an HPDE at Mid-Ohio last weekend. Chief Instructor Jim Earnshaw once again provided a track walk at 6:30 Saturday and Sunday mornings. We went over half the track each day. I'm a novice driver, and have only been on the track in street cars, but here are some shots of the track and comments I've picked up from various instructors.

Here we are in turn 1 and looking back down the front straight. Pit lane is to the right, and the infield to the left of this image. The front straight does have some decent humps to it, but these are barely felt at speed. Setting up for turn 1, we are to the left side of the image, towards the infield. A stab of the brakes to settle the car, and back on power once under the bridge.

This is turn 1, the fastest corner on the track. The yellow curb separates pit out from the track. Ideally, we want to start out about a foot from the curb and end up apexing it at the end.

This view is of the short straight between turns 1 and 2, looking back towards turn 1. The pro course doesn't use the chicane before the keyhole, but club students do. After turn 1, we need to cross over the track to set up for the chicane, ending up where the row of cars is parked.

The pro course would plow right through the wall of cones. We were using the chicane to bleed off speed before the keyhole, though. Once back to track left after turn 1, a good visual to pick up is the white, leftmost billboard (it's a Budweiser ad). If you turn when that becomes parallel with the apex curbing of turn 2, you can create a short straight in the chicane to brake and prepare for the left-hand turn. This is important because there's no reason to brake for turn 2, so you definitely need to slow down before you transition to the left-hand turn of the chicane.

The idea through the chicane is to clip the right-hand apex, brake, then clip the left-hand apex on the back side of the chicane. This line will allow you to create another short straight to brake and downshift for the keyhole.

This is turn 4, half of the complex known as the keyhole. It's hard to see due to the early morning sun, but there is a layer of sealer that starts about halfway out onto the track. Once the apex of turn 4 is clipped coming out of the chicane, the idea is to drive straight until the sealer is between your legs. Then you can begin an arc that will allow you to make a late apex of turn 5 and shoot you onto the back straight.

This is turn 5, the lower half of the keyhole. The white Budweiser sign mentioned earlier can be seen, and the layer of dark sealer is visible as well. Patience is the key in this turn. The ground falls away about halfway through, and a light lift of the throttle will help the car rotate around to the apex area. The closer you get to the area around the second cone, the better set-up you are for the back straight.

This is the end of the back straight. Turn 6, the kink in the straight, can be seen. The blue flag station is the visual target that should be picked up when exiting the keyhole. If you aim for this target, you can straighten the kink out nicely. This is the fastest part of the track, and due to my cars' stock restraints, I top out at between 120-130 here. Because...

Turn 7. All those skidmarks going off the track lead to China Beach, the huge gravel trap that caught the Aston Martin that flew farther than the Wright Brothers, and that the 350Z cartwheeled across. A decently late turn-in and apex will set you up for the next section of the course, referred to as Madness.

Looking back towards turn 7 and the back straight:

The type of car you have helps determine your line through here. Smaller, lighter cars can hug the inside line up the hill, while heavier cars would need to swing out to the right a bit before turning in.

This view is on top of the hill in Madness, turn 8, again looking backwards. The apex area is marked out by the cones on the far slope. Once that area is clipped, the car will push to the right a bit, and once the crest is reached a light lift will again help rotate the car back to the left for turn 9:

Looking backwards up the hill from turn 9 to turn 8:

Ideally, you don't want to drift too far past the center of the track so you don't have to fight to get the car back on line for turn 9. As the bottom image shows, the slope of the hill from turn 8 to 9 is decently severe, so you're on the brakes decently hard to slow the car so that it doesn't push through the turn. You don't want to push all the way to track left because turn 9 is a throwaway turn. You need to give it up to get prepared for turn 10:

You track out of turn 9 about halfway across the road, then clip the left-hand apex of turn 10a and square your car up with the left-hand side of the road. There is a blind hill between turns 10a and 10b, but if you line your car up with the small notch in the trees right above the A in the left-most Honda on the bridge, that will take you through turn 10b and right to the turn-in point for turn 11.

This is at the top of the blind hill between turns 10a and 10b, looking backwards. You want your car to be along the left-hand side of the road, parallel with the edge, and aimed for that notch in the trees. Because, as mentioned, that notch lines up with...

the apex of turn 10b and the turn-in for turn 11. 10b's apex in on the right-hand curbing in front of the silver avant, and 11's turn-in cone is barely visible above its driver's side mirror. If that cone is missing, there is a yellow-lined photographer's window in the fence beyond the gravel trap that makes a good aiming point.

This is halfway up the hill of turn 11, looking backwards in the top image and forward in the bottom. Turn 12 can be seen past the blue bridge. For turn 11, you want to clip the curbing to the right of the track, then not drift across the center sealer until you've reached the crest. Once you've crested the hill, line up with a left-side letter in the sponsor sign and blast through Thunder Valley.

Once the track becomes parallel after turn 12, make your way across the track to the right-hand side to prepare for turn 13. There is a decent uphill grade here, so braking becomes easier. Turn 13 is pretty quick, and a late apex will allow a good exit speed.

We're looking backwards towards turn 13. There is a crest here that we want to brake and downshift on, because we're coming up on turn 14, the carousel.

There are two grandstands beyond the track here, and the second one makes a convenient aiming point. Sealer on the track also makes a good spot to turn in for our gradual arc around the carousel. A late apex is needed here, and a bump in the surface will be felt if the turn is completed correctly. Patience is key here, too. Although the turn starts out on-camber, it does not finish that way:

Being greedy with the throttle will result in being pushed out to the left, and consequently being in a bad position for turn 15, the left-hander back onto the front straight.

Here's some footage of the track at speed from last year's event.
    [youtube]5Ls3JXRCvXk[/youtube]
    <a href=http://images18.fotki.com/v25/photos/2/226513/838832/IMG_0199sig-vi.jpg target=_blank>http://images50.fotki.com/v1525/photos/2/226513/838832/rasig-vi.jpg</a>

Default Re: Mid-Ohio turn by turn

awsome, thanks for sharing

Very cool. would love to attend that type of event, i have a friend with an Audi S4 i'm sure would love it too .

Thanks for sharing

Sweet!!!Man i would like to run on that track!!!
    DUBJUNKIE!!
    MK3 GTI VR6
    Mk3 jetta 2.0
    B5 AUDI 1.8T QUATTRO
    B1 PASSAT 1.3

Neat. I'm signed up for a BMW club event there in October. It'll be my second time there. It's an awesome track.
    Robbie Nelson - Evo VIII BBY 03, 3" exhaust w/ HF cat, Walbro FP, MBC, 272I/264E GSC cams w/ stock gears, Innovate LC1, ECUFlash, Megan "street" coilovers, Whiteline swaybars

Racetrack Database
    Megan Coilover Install video
    DIY Alignment Check video
    Corner Weight video

Thanks guys. Have fun, Robbie. Can we expect a report when you come back?
    <a href=http://images18.fotki.com/v25/photos/2/226513/838832/IMG_0199sig-vi.jpg target=_blank>http://images50.fotki.com/v1525/photos/2/226513/838832/rasig-vi.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by AchTTung View Post
    Can we expect a report when you come back?
    Sure. I hope I don't have to report about my brother crashing. It'll be his first track day and he's driving a C6 Z06; WTH is he thinking!? Hopefully he'll take it easy. I think he's going to run the stock tires, so that should slow him down a bit.
    Robbie Nelson - Evo VIII BBY 03, 3" exhaust w/ HF cat, Walbro FP, MBC, 272I/264E GSC cams w/ stock gears, Innovate LC1, ECUFlash, Megan "street" coilovers, Whiteline swaybars

Racetrack Database
    Megan Coilover Install video
    DIY Alignment Check video
    Corner Weight video

Yikes, that is an awesomely fast car. The Corvette in the video above was a C6 Z06. It was wearing runflats, and they left the traction control and even air conditioning on the whole time. He was taking it easy on the car, but did get on it on the back straight at 4:45 of the video. I'm in a pretty fast car, but it simply leaves me standing. I was actually giggling as I was watching it rocket away.

In a related story, at Roebling Road this March an instructor had to leave, so at the Sunday morning driver's meeting they had another guy volunteer to instruct the beginner group student. When he learned that his new student had a C6 Z06, the new instructor's response was, "Oh shit."