Thread: Exhaust drone eliminator

WVSTREETS Guest

Default Exhaust drone eliminator

I had this on the POS borla and now on my Greddy clone and it completely eliminates the drone.

4" x 9" Oval Center/Center Satin Stainless Steel Universal Muffler

4'' x 9'' Oval Muffler
    In/Out: 2-1/2''
    Body Length: 14''
    642-11216

I think this is where I got it:

http://www.a-1performance.com/magnaf...mfm_4x9_al.cfm

Everyone PM's me about this constantly so I thought I would post it up.

I have a borla exhaust, the drone was horrible and it was to the point that I hated to drive my car. There is nothing cool or hot sounding about cabin drone so I had to do something to stop it. I started out with a cc insert but I wanted to keep my exhaust as free flowing as possible so I jacked up the car, looked underneath to see the design of the borla and I came up with this.

1: The borla exhaust has the resonator right under the front of the cabin, this is a horrible design because it causes the dreaded droan inside the car at an rpm that you are in 90% of the time.

2: I felt if I was to change it out for a straight through design muffler with a 2.5" inlet/outlet and replace the mid-pipe with a larger 2.5" from the headers to the split in the rear (where the pipe goes from 1 to 2 for the mufflers and move the resonator (now a muffler) further back away from the cabin that the drone should be eliminated. After multiple hours of research on mufflers, backpressure, sizes that would fit, straight through design etc I came up with the ultimate fix: magnaflow 11216

CABIN............REAR OF CAR
    -BORLA RES-----------<

TO THIS

CABIN..................REAR OF CAR
    -------------------MAGFLW-<

Well when I started the car lets just say I was thrilled! The car sounded perfect! It has a nice smooth deep sound, ZERO CABIN DRONE and when you go wide open throttle it sounds really exotic and louder OUTSIDE but QUIET inside. In fact when you have the windows rolled up the car sounds stock INSIDE the car unless you go WOT then it is still quiet but you can hear the exhaust. Outside the car is another story, it sounds fantastic! All the sound stays outside where it belongs and it sounds 100 times better than the "stock" borla exhaust.

The price? $65 shiped for magnaflow 11216 and around $35-40 for the new 2.5" mid pipe and muffler installed.

Default Re: Exhaust drone eliminator

Have you ever tried one on a 3" exhaust? My SRT has a SEE and is driving me nuts with the noise and drone...

I will take measurements see if it will fit.

Nice find.

Rich

WVSTREETS Guest

it is a 2.5" muffler, you can get 3" mufflers (straight through design) that would work. This one eliminated it completely and I could enjoy the car again when I put it on. Glasspacks do not work, you still get drone. You can get on the magnaflow website and see if they make a 3" in/out muffler. i bet they do.

I have one of these though for sale, it is used but is stainless steel so it is just like new. They are $110 new, sell for $50.

I bought the 3" model and it works like a charm!!!

WVSTREETS Guest

glad it took care of it!

Huh, I like the exhaust drone, personally. I like hearing my car roar. I also have a Borla on my car, which I think sounds awesome. But nice review nonetheless. If it ever irritates me, I'll look into this.
    » 2000 Ford ZX2 - Zetec 2.0L
    2.5" CAI, S/R Borla, OBX Header, 21mm RSB, STB, Konig Helium, 6000k 55W HID Projectors, 3000k HID Fogs, Alpine iDA-X001, JL 10" + 1300W 2x10"
    Sometime Soon: MTX Swap, Rear Disc Swap, Built Motor, GT25 @ 8PSI

» 1996 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
    Yoshimura RS-3

« Šhape~Şhiƒter »

awsome, cool how you did that. im with kage i like the loud sound of my car

had a lot of of drone with my MRT V1 system on my 2010 Camaro 1LT and had j-pipes fabricated and installed right before the muffler/resonator and measuring about 27-28 inches and it took 90 percent of the drone out. You cap the end and it can be in any shape just as long as it fits in the provided space, I had no traditional muffler just a resonator in place of the muffler. have seen it used on GTO's and similar GM vehicles and it will work on any system. on my 2011 SS camaro I have a 3 inch system with built in X pipe. and dual chambered sections that have this spiral raised "teeth" that make a cup and are angled against the exhaust flow and I believe that is what makes the sound tone deeper. Has a nice low rumble and no drone at all!