Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: '84 Regal

Default Re: '84 Regal

Oh man I got the speed bug again after being at Tim's dyno all day. I've got updates for this project and was holding off of posting because I'm not able to work on the Regal full time 'til I get an over-all refinish job out of the garage, which is soon. I've now acquired an Extreme Automatics built bulletproof 200-4r, a PTC 12" 2200 LU converter, and ditching the broken column shifter in favor of a B&M Pro stick shifter that I got a great deal on with a 4 spd gate plate, I also collected a OD trans crossmember and dip stick & tube for the before mentioned transmission, I've got all the components for finish upgrading my fuel system now the N20 and engine will get their own: Fuel pumps, FPR's, inlet/return lines all plumbed to the stock fuel tank. I was also able to get new E cover retainers and bolts so the new turbocharger is ready to be bolted to the headers and the DP can be removed from the car for port matching. I'm going to keep the 3 speed in the car at first when I get the rest of the fuel upgrades and the new turbo on. Not to change too many things at one time and see how it performs compared to the old combo.
    That's the only regret or downside is, I never got the car to a track any track 1/8th or 1/4 mi with the old Frankenstein turbo, and have another baseline ET to see how much was gained or lost by going with the upgrades I have now.

More goodies and updates on the way soon(when the refinish job is completed haha).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTC.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	2076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans.jpg 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	2077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tran.jpg 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	2078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel.jpg 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	2079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shifter.jpg 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	2080  

Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Here is the new turbocharger goodies:

Name:	turbo1.jpg 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	2081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo.jpg 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	2082  
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Nice... Can't wait to see it done!
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

i still wanna ride in it!

sweeeeet. good luck man have it for the next dyno day?
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - when you just gotta go places other things won't take you.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - ugly but comfortable

It was good meeting you yesterday. I just put 2 + 2 and figured out who you are.

Sig by RogerStout

www.bullplayztrading.com

2004 SRT 10 Red RC Skanky~Hott Car Club President
    #2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
    Dyno####433/469 at the wheels!!!
    Mopar Nationals 2010 Viper Truck Show Winner
    Mopar Nationals 2011 Viper Truck Show 2nd Place
    Mopar Nationals 2012 No Show
    Mopar Nationals 2013 Viper Truck Show Winner

Thanks Kenny, next time we will have a more formal meeting as will the other members I only indirectly met. Larry and anyone else who wants a ride will get one when it's back together Cameron. Steve I'll have the Regal ready for the next dyno event and and all the flashlight and drag strip trips I'm able to attend.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Good lookin project

Quote Originally Posted by Boostninja View Post
    Good lookin project
    Thanks Boostninja. But everyone know the truth is it's not a Good looking project as far as appearance and finish, but It does everything else great! lol.
    Again thanks for checking the thread out.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

That's the beauty NOBODY will expect it
    2001 Corvette - Heads, Cam, Intake, Full exhaust, Hotchkiss Swaybars, z06 brake ducts, SS brake pistons & Lines Etc. Lowered & Murdered out.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 - Forged Motor APS Twin Turbo Kit. Full Suspension & C5 brakes.... in pieces currently
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

Sometimes a car doesn't have to be all shiney showroom finish to please me. Most everyone that puts elbowgrease in to their car/truck/bike/tricycle/hooker earns credit in my book

^Right on!

It's on again! Wrenching time, Got finished with my side job.
    So Got the DP off and matched my template over it to determine how much material to remove, then made short work of it with a steady hand and carbide bit. Then it wasn't long after that I had the PT53 installed, sections adjusted and secured all of the hardware and charge piping/intake and the oil drain and supply. I went ahead and started with the fuel system upgrades and I'll be posting those up later on.

Name:	dp.jpg 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	2148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dp1.jpg 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	2145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo2.jpg 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	2146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo3.jpg 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	2147  
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

hell yea, i love these cars, and i have several memories of these type cars. my sis had a nice regal with t-tops. my brother had an 85 olds cutlas supreme we put an awsome 350crate motor into. and my former step father had a black 85 monte carlo SS with a bad 350 in it too. locally there is a shop that has a monte carlo turbo with the 3.8 sittin on their lot, and it has sat there for years, it would make an awsome build, plus i like the monte's lines better. P.S. I WANNA RIDE!!!

Hell yeah G-body's FTW
    Thanks for checking the thread out! Pick that Turbo monte up!!!
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Well I just finished upgrading the fuel system, The Regal is now running twin fuel pumps one 68GPH and one 43GPH pump and twin pressure regulators. The 43GPH pump supply's the N20 system and I installed a pre-pump inline filter with a check valve the other 68GPH pump is for the engine fuel only. I ran both pumps one at a time and was successful in having no leaks so then I set the fuel pressure's and called it good. I wanted to start it up but I still have the DP off. However tomorrow I do have to get back under there and run a new power wire to the N20 fuel pump that will turn it on when the N20 system is armed. Probably seems a bit overboard/unnecessary for most people but it's going to work out for my plans with this particular car.
    Yes the Regal is grungy underneath it's my rust proofing from leaky oil/trans fluid being bathed for years.

Name:	reg1.jpg 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	2152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reg.jpg 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	2153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump.jpg 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	2151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump1.jpg 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	2149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump3.jpg 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	2150  

Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

you gots alot of money in those an fittings and line lol... looking good man

Quote Originally Posted by LOWCOP View Post
    you gots alot of money in those an fittings and line lol... looking good man
    Thanks for looking Larry! I would have had a bit a cash wrapped up in those AN fittings, but I had Summit Bucks coupons to help bring the price down. This project is one of my cheapest budget builds ever. Last year in July when I took it to Tim's Dyno the car was @ $2,700.00 total invested then and I still have under 4K in it to this point with the new upgrades.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Was finally able to start the car up yesterday after some starter motor issues were cured. The solenoid was sticking on the starter I just swapped out(Starter would just keep on cranking after the key was bumped and had to yank the Batt cable to shut it down)
    It still sounds good, I'm going to get some more fuel in it and go test out the new turbo and then if all is well I'll get it back in the garage and swap out the th350 for the new 200-4r, right after that I'll be heading to any and all tracks I can make it too and get ET's

I just took my front right wheel off. This is one of the major reasons my turbo died last year, I had to drive home from Tim's Dyno nearly 40 miles with that tire like that and if I started to go over 50mph that wheel would start leaving the tarmac
    I haven't moved this car once inch since I parked it right after the dyno in July last year, so it's time for new tires all the way around.

Name:	rim.jpg 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	2154  
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtecoldschool View Post
    Was finally able to start the car up yesterday after some starter motor issues were cured. The solenoid was sticking on the starter I just swapped out(Starter would just keep on cranking after the key was bumped and had to yank the Batt cable to shut it down)
    It still sounds good, I'm going to get some more fuel in it and go test out the new turbo and then if all is well I'll get it back in the garage and swap out the th350 for the new 200-4r, right after that I'll be heading to any and all tracks I can make it too and get ET's

I just took my front right wheel off. This is one of the major reasons my turbo died last year, I had to drive home from Tim's Dyno nearly 40 miles with that tire like that and if I started to go over 50mph that wheel would start leaving the tarmac
    I haven't moved this car once inch since I parked it right after the dyno in July last year, so it's time for new tires all the way around.

WOW that rubber is a LITTLE distorted!
    '91 Fox Hatch LX
    302 AOD

2001 Mazda Tribute
    3.0 4x4
    wife's DD

^ yes it is, it's the only tire in that shape out of all the four. Don't matter now, I've got tires ordered and should be in this weekend or early next week. I did get Insurance back on the Regal the beginning of this week, it's legal again. I stuck my old 14" wheels up front for now to move it around the garage/driveway and for light street testing 'til I get the new tires on all the way around. I'm ultra happy that I have the the new 4 speed trans/converter to put in the Regal now. I took it out Tue and Wed evenings just local to make sure everything is going to be OK, My old stock trans/converter can't hold the new turbocharger at 17# it's slipping and flashing bad, so I said let's finish it off and turned the boost up to 20# and blew the carb hat gasket out.
    So It's trans/converter/shifter swapping and new tire time. Not going to make the 1st FLD's with the Regal but should be at the rest of the event's. GOT to get it to the track and back to the Dyno.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

You're lucky that thing lasted 40 miles. Lol.

03' SSS, 98' T/A,84' Monte Carlo SS,08' Civic, 65' Malibu SS
    RNA Team #217
    Rally Appalachia 11': 7th, Day 3
    Rally Dixie 12': Top 20, Day 1; Top 10, Day 2; Fastest Time, Day 3. (But DQ for ticket)
    Penn Dutch Rally 14': Turtle Award!
    Mille Rally 14':We finished
    Penn Dutch Rally 15': 2ND OVERALL!

www.elzaperformance.com

I'd have prob. not even chanced that last ing 40 MPH.. wow. that's messed up.

on the other hand looks like some sweet progress.. can't wait to line up with it just to see it run!
    1998 Trans AM STS Turbo

^ I agree with all of you, But the part of the story I left out is I never stopped or pulled over to check it, just kept rolling on with the non-stop trip back home. Then I saw it when I pull in the garage.. lol
    Got my new tires in today 225/50-15 Falken Zeix 512's for all corners so I can rotate them. Probably next month I'll get some 275/40-15 Drag radials.
    Should have the trans installed next week or so, had to finish up other stuff first ( 6.0L swap in my bro's Avalanche) GRASS CUTTIING BS BS ETC
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

Get it on the road I want to ride.

I'm installing the 4 speed and shifter right now in the evenings this week, You will have all your rides soon. I did realize my registration expires June 1st, Must get that sticker too.
    Thanks for checking the build out!
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4