Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: '84 Regal

Default Re: '84 Regal

Okay a few little things held me up but the car is all finished and ready for the dyno tomorrow... well today now it's AM. PARTSMAN hooked me up and goT my NX bottle filled (Thanks Bflaker), so all ready to boost while spraying juice.
    Can't wait.

Hella nice build man. Thanks for the pics too, I always wondered how they did the manifolds on those.

I do have one quick question for you. In your opinion, how does the B&M Street/Strip shift kit tear trannys up quicker than the kit your purchased? I only ask since the parts store I work for sell them B&M kit so it's a educational moment for me

Thanks for checking the build out.

I wish I had asked the same question before ruining my 1st newly rebuilt transmission. The B&M kit only uses their modified the valve body seperator plate and their oil transferplate under the stock support plate that you have to file flat and they make you REMOVE 2 of the four check balls. and all that those mods do is put too much stress on the intermediate sprag race which is semi weak in a stock th350 and causes it too self destruct from there there on out and then little peices of bearing race make their way through all the tranny passages and eventually get stuck in the govenor, all of which are BAD.

So I do research ask tranny people why my rebuilt tranny with 400 miles isn't shifting right or won't upshift at all untill i let off the accelerator then they tell me it's my B&M kit.
    So they say use a transgo kit and it will work with a stock th350 and won't hurt it at all becuase that kit uses additional mods that the B&M does not which are" important". AND they are new springs in the valve body it'self, including a special spring in the low control valve to hold it closed at all times, and new springs for the govenor weights and a new spring for the vacuum modulator. plus the valve body seperator plate in the transgo kit the support plate oil tranfer slot is integrated with it so it all one peice and you use all FOUR check balls that transgo supplies also important.
    So that was the information that was supplied to me and it works great and won't kill a stock th350.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtecoldschool View Post
    Thanks for checking the build out.

I wish I had asked the same question before ruining my 1st newly rebuilt transmission. The B&M kit only uses their modified the valve body seperator plate and their oil transferplate under the stock support plate that you have to file flat and they make you REMOVE 2 of the four check balls. and all that those mods do is put too much stress on the intermediate sprag race which is semi weak in a stock th350 and causes it too self destruct from there there on out and then little peices of bearing race make their way through all the tranny passages and eventually get stuck in the govenor, all of which are BAD.

So I do research ask tranny people why my rebuilt tranny with 400 miles isn't shifting right or won't upshift at all untill i let off the accelerator then they tell me it's my B&M kit.
    So they say use a transgo kit and it will work with a stock th350 and won't hurt it at all becuase that kit uses additional mods that the B&M does not which are" important". AND they are new springs in the valve body it'self, including a special spring in the low control valve to hold it closed at all times, and new springs for the govenor weights and a new spring for the vacuum modulator. plus the valve body seperator plate in the transgo kit the support plate oil tranfer slot is integrated with it so it all one peice and you use all FOUR check balls that transgo supplies also important.
    So that was the information that was supplied to me and it works great and won't kill a stock th350.
    Good to know. I have a guy that ordered a reman th350 for his Chevelle and wanted a shift kit. I'm sure he'd be interested to know about this

Had a great Time attending and participating in the chassis dyno @ Tony's Street Dreams Sat Jue 21st.
    I saw A lot of nice cars and some big numbers as well as meeting some new people that day.
    I finally got to run my Regal after the last of the front drives. the Buick put down 400ft/lbs and about 300 hp to the wheel. I was plenty happy with that there is a lot more power in the car but I had no time to find and tune for it. I got the car finished 7 hours before the dyno and didn't even drive it with the new intake carb and transmision untill I was on my way up to morgantown that morning. The carb needs tuned really bad I had done a little tuning before getting on the dyno but stopped because I was getting burnt and I was honestly tired from being in the sun and working late on the car late and into the morning. I made the pulls in 3rd gear with no help from the turbo xs boost controller which I removed earlier that day because it wasn't working right, so I was relying on a 7 lb waste gate spring, running 12 degrees timing total ( I fogot my timing light), while spraying 100 shot from the NX wet fogger kit. If the car had an intercooler and the carb was tuned it and I could have cranked up the boost a lot, it easily would have made those numbers or more with out the nitrous.

I thought your car was gonna blow on the dyno. I can't believe you ran it without doing any kind of tuning to it. Not to mention it overheated on the dyno, and would barely stay running. I hope you didn't fuck it up by spraying it without making sure it was running properly first. I've got vids of most of the cars that dyno'd including yours. I'll post up a link when I get them all edited.

Haha. That is one tough engine I have boosted and sprayed large amount of nitrous on it and it won't die.
    The setup I had on it before ( blowthru qjet- stock 4.1 intake) was all tuned perfectly and was really wild especially with the nitrous even on stock 2.41 and it never overheated. That current setup definatly needs dialed in and the timing needs bumped up which is one reason it got really hot on the dyno a fan blowing in front of the car would have helped a lot.
    I definatly want to see the VIDEOS I'll be watching for them.

Yes all in due time I'll get the car tuned soon.

Still had a lot of fun.

Aem Wideband came in today so if I can get my buddy down here from Waynesburg and help me get this mighty demon dialed in I'd love to go to the flashlight drags this sunday.
    Here is one of the (15) laminated copper downpipe/wastegate gaskets I made on the hood/workbench of the civic.

I forgot to update this, my trans wasn't working and it was removed from the car and it's partially dissassembled with no problems yet...

Here is why my trans isn't working:

and here is my reoccuring gasket problem:

I have a line on a new rebuilt BOPth350 and I hope to own it by this weekend
    and I'm buying another new torque converter tonight.

okay That transmission Sucks the new rebuilt th350 i got lasted 50' if that, then had nothing but reverse, so I back it back up the road and into my garage and removed it promptly. That was every bit of over a month ago. I bought a nice th350 rebuild kit and Hope to have mine rebuilt soon, Time is short right now and I'd LOVE to make it too the track this year.

so yet another tranny is goingto be built soon and I'm adding an intercooler (freebie saab intercooler). if I don't use it I'll use a Cxracing intercooler.

Still close to my goal of 400hp and over 500tq without the spray, on stock block/heads/cam/rotator.

My original 2nd trans is now rebuilt with the help a friend for free (Dan Johnsons race cars) and I swapped my Demon carb(till Dan from waynesburg can tune it right and I need gaskets) for my Modded Q-Jet that I used to run on my stage 1 setup. It's ready for the street/track I even have slicks mounted But still no Intercooler yet maybe by this weekend I'll just keep on spraying untill that time comes then I'll spray after the intercooler.

Here are some pics of my Intercooler. Partsman Hooked me up with this (Thanks) It's from a saab.

It fits the regal nicely almost like it was made for it. I'll get it on there and connected someday.

Tore the Demon apart and everything is as they said it was.
    primary metering block

primary float bowl

secondary float bowl

secondary metering block

Mainbody and throttle plate

I now believe I have aquired all the parts to tune the Demon right. What I have collected with big help from Jason in Dormont is 19 blank air bleeds, 14 blank emulsion bleeds and a bunch of bleeds that are already drilled, a holder for both the air and emulsion bleeds to drill them in, 2 sets of super small drillbits and one set with really small and bigger drill bits. and Jason let me borrow a demon tuning book.

I also finally was able to purchase the gaskets I needed badly felpro 2104 airhorn and holly blue nonstick reusable metering block and fuel bowl gaskets. I already had a jet kit I believe it's #64 to #99 jet sizes. So all major tuning starts now.

Awesome build. Fairmont? Gotta get a ride in this thing at some point.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Yeah i live in fairmont,working in clarksburg
    you sure can take a ride in the buick sometime.

Where do you work at in Clarksburg?
    09 Sonata (My DD)
    92 C1500 ( Winter Beater/ Hauler)

07accord - "I want to be a nittany lion!"
    "I'm pretty sure I have no fam. in South Jersey.Real mullet fairing people don't have spray tans." Levilz

Harry Green in the body shop.

I got another Intercooler for the buick project. Thanks to Partsman and whoever wrecked their VW Passat. It's just about the exact same size as the Sabb Intercooler only the flow cores are bigger and the inlet and outlets are 3" even though in the pic it looks smaller compared to the Sabb but it is leaning.
    Adam K
    '65 Corvair Corsa new DD
    '66 Buick Riviera GS
    '66 Corvair Corsa Corv8
    '84 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo
    '06 Avalanche Z71 4X4

nice find man!